Show me Your Fancy STANDS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stands
Can you guys give me some advice
When I a clear coat is used whats the best method to apply
Thanks

awesome stuff you guys keep them coming! I want to get a new stand and canopy built for my 90g but not sure what route to go.....these are giving me great ideas!!!

wow, I must say there are some great designer out there, superb stands everyone, Thanks for sharing guys now I might have an idea how to build my stand.

the best method IMO is to spray thats what i do but not every one can do that there is some pretty good wiping finishes.

I second olkeller.
For ease and foolproof, thin the poly and wipe on. Knock it down between coats with steel wool or 400+ sandpaper. This way will take longer due to the thinning but, IMHO is easier for a novice.

Here is another example of a DIY stand.
I wanted the tank viewable without bending over.
I didnt want to waste room inside the stand making it taller.
In comes the idea for a drawer base.
*In my situation, it wasnt as easy as just making a box to set a stand on. I had to remove a door face section from an existing stand and apply that to something tall enough for a decent skimmer and a big ole' sump.

Its not fancy...purdy enough for mi casa.
MVC-880X-1.jpg~original

MVC-883X.jpg~original

I dont have a fish room, so everything needs to fit in the stand.

MVC-866X-1.jpg~original

MVC-886X.jpg~original

I still have some things to do to the stand before I call it done.
Its close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cprowler, I hope you don't get too upset when I plagerize that idea... I'm progressing toward some new cabinetry where my 120 sits now and need to hide lots of wires and equipment!!!

I see lots of great craftsmanship that far outshines my current setup. Great work on these setups!!! WOW!!!

If anybody wants to see my build it's here;
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1163749&highlight=the+120

Definately not worthy of this thread but hopefully somebody can take a good idea or two and run with it.

Tim:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12205624#post12205624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hllywd
Cprowler, I hope you don't get too upset when I plagerize that idea... I'm progressing toward some new cabinetry where my 120 sits now and need to hide lots of wires and equipment!!!

I see lots of great craftsmanship that far outshines my current setup. Great work on these setups!!! WOW!!!

Definately not worthy of this thread but hopefully somebody can take a good idea or two and run with it.

Tim:cool:

You would be surprised what you can do if you put your mind to it. I would be willing to bet you could out do mine any day of the week. I did mine with out a tablesaw! I know you have one as i can see it in your pic. I did my cuts and they are all cabinet style with the verticle grain going one way and the horizontal the other way. I used a eureka zone guide system. I am not plugging them just telling you what i used. table saw whould have been better but you do it whith what you got. I did use my compound miter to do the trim but i know you have one of those also:) ,so if you wanted to do it over and go for this type of look i would be more than willing to give you detailed diagrams for you tank as to cuts and structure supports. I know mine is not the best by far but looks good to me and even my father in law who thinks this hobby is stupid (both me and my wifes brother participate which is whom i aquired this tank from) and he is a hard customer to please.

Here is my 65g stand. I was limited on space in the house and have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. I wanted it higher and stronger than the store bought stands and be able to lock for the kids.

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

Someday the military will let me live in one place so i can build a bigger tank. 6 more years.

It's really funny that there's such a huuge different in taste between europe and US. I don't think anyone in Europe, or at least very few, has the kind of style of stands that you do. We like our designs to be more "clean".

Here's mine....

file.php

I don't understand the words or how to get to the photo forum but, what do you mean by "clean"? Do you mean that the wood design is different? Or are you refering to the stuff in the tanks? I think they all have very nice, clean tanks. I hope mine is as nice as these when finished.

Dave

Oh...I dont know about that. ALL the European stands I see are VERY modern/contemporary. Almost too much so for my tastes. Check out Elos, ATI, Ehiem, Giesmann, ADA (I know, not europe),etc. for example.

Is that locks on the stand front?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12209089#post12209089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dreed
Here is my 65g stand. I was limited on space in the house and have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. I wanted it higher and stronger than the store bought stands and be able to lock for the kids.

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

Someday the military will let me live in one place so i can build a bigger tank. 6 more years.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210092#post12210092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sabbath
Is that locks on the stand front?

Didnt you see the 3' tall creature standing in front of the tank in the first pic? LOL

I'd say locks would be a must for a household with small children.

Oh, How could I have mist that! :eek2: :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210445#post12210445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MeuserReef
Didnt you see the 3' tall creature standing in front of the tank in the first pic? LOL

I'd say locks would be a must for a household with small children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back