Silent and Failsafe Overflow System

I would suggest submerging the siphon standpipe and/or reducing the diameter at the discharge end. You can reduce down a pipe size or use a valve. 1.5" at 15' of head can move a tremendous amount of water.

Ideally, the adjustment would be at the sump end with this much head, but you can likely find a good balance by using a valve near the floor upstairs and submerge/reduce at the sump. Remember, tumbling water and cavitation make noise, a full pipe does not.

Thank you! I just looked at our respective stats. We joined Reef Central a year apart...I have 200+ posts...you have 20k+ posts and have set the standard in overflow design. Hats off to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to think in the last 5 years I only have maybe 100 posts ;)

I looked at one point years ago and the only folks with more posts were moderators... I hope that has changed!

Still in the hobby, just busy.

Need to silence a 250 reef ready with 2 corner overflows. Currently running a durso and return in each overflow. Wondering if I can convert one overflow to s Herbie overflow . Thinking the other overflow (durso,) could act as the emergency drain should the Herbie fail. Any issues with doing this?

Tony,
I run my 250 dual overflow with a Herbie in each & it's quiet. 2 - 1 inch pipes in each.
I come back over the top with 2 Sea Swirls

Hello all,
My beananimal question has to with the pump and ato side of things. I have the drains all setup and they are nice and quiet and function as they should. My main question is when I simulate a main drain clog the water in my return pump chamber drops a good 3" which, in turn, starts my ato. While the drains keep the system going couldn't my ato throw off my salinity a good bit? Is this normal operation or might I perhaps have something wrong?

When this happens it's normal.
The main pipe remains full & now 2 more pipes have to fill.
This has to come from somewhere & it comes from the pump chamber.
The only fix I can think of is a high water switch in the overflow to shut off the ATO & set off an alarm.

Hi..

I'm planning to build 8*4*2.5 feet (lbh) mixed reef tank..I would like to place the overflow box on 4 feet width side ..Can anyone suggest me on Overflow box size (inner and outer box) wich can handle the above size and Drain pipe size ?

I'm thinking about bean animal type overflow box..

Thanks in advance..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

On the low side a 1" pipe with full siphon will flow 960 GPH.
IF you really want only 600 GPH that will do just fine.
As far as an overflow box I would look for reviews on a search here.

On the low side a 1" pipe with full siphon will flow 960 GPH.
IF you really want only 600 GPH that will do just fine.
As far as an overflow box I would look for reviews on a search here.
Sorry it's my mistake..it's 6000 GPH ..I LEFT ONE ZERO.. Extremely sorry...it's a 600 gallons tank..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

How is one the safely incorporate a roller mat into their bean animal overload design given that the roller mats seem to require that they be feed off of the main drain?

I ask this as my understanding is that the termination of the drain lines for the bean animal designs are to be just under the water line by an 1" to 2 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back