Skimmer Problem

aaronlp

Seeing as how my sump is under my 75 in the stand and its hard to get a in-sump skimmer and a HOB what should i do drill it? or what im kinda lost on this one and i really need to find a solution asap. Any help, will help this problem...

Last edited:
Are you implying that there is not enough room to fit a in sump in the sump and there is not enough room to get a HOB for your sump? We need more info

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I have no room to place an in sump nor a HOB in my sump or on it beacuse my stand limits my space way to much. I cant place anything in the sump or under the stand...

theres the reason we tell ya to think things threw and take your time.... i would say only option would be to go external skimmer and drill your sump then

im not sure but i think his tank already is there....not sure though....but always an option if you can use the basement....or run the sump out from under the tank if aesthetics is not an issue

Not much you can do if you have your sump under the tank and your skimmer won't fit under it too.

Get a shorter skimmer? How low if the stand where you can't fit a normal sized skimmer for a 75?

How short does it need to be? I had a 75 on a stand that looked like the pic of the one you have in another thread on the same topic. I'd be surprised if the door opening was any different. I had to put the skimmer in the sump, slide the sump in, then stand the skimmer up. Might this be a possibility in your situation?

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmlXU4uK5rA?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmlXU4uK5rA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post a photo of the stand/sump arrangement. Or a drawing with measurements.

inside your stand...

what's the distance between the bottom (floor) of the stand and the top inside of the stand?

what's the height of your sump?

commercially built stands typically have 25" to 30" top to bottom clearance inside the stand

jeez!

jeez!

I don't see why he can't just plop a skimmer into the sump.

Tilt the sump or drag it out if you have to- just get a skimmer in there.
Feed it with a Mag or other submersible pump. What's the big deal?

Personally, I wouldn't even CONSIDER a hang on skimmer. You have the sump. Use it wisely.

I don't see why he can't just plop a skimmer into the sump.

Tilt the sump or drag it out if you have to- just get a skimmer in there.
Feed it with a Mag or other submersible pump. What's the big deal?

Personally, I wouldn't even CONSIDER a hang on skimmer. You have the sump. Use it wisely.

Seeing how the tanks been running itsn ot worth the time to drain the sump out and disconnect all the lines going in. It wont fit in there beacuse the skimemrs are too big to fit into the sides they get jammed...thinking about running it externally will probally be the solution

it really would well worth the little amount of time (probably realistically a few hours) to turn off your feed pump, disconnect plumbing, drain a few gallons out of your sump and set the sump up outside of the tank. as it is, to run externally you are going to have to drill that sump tank anyways because the return lines of an external skimmer have to get back into your sump somehow....and if you cant have it high enough youll have to drill it. u remember how my external is, it sits above the sump. its just a fact that you should have thought this threw a little more to be honest. wen all have issues here and there but this one you DO NOT want to skimp on if you are planning to have a sps dominant system. but dont take my advice for it, i dont know much about sps

it sounds like B knows more about this set up than I do. Listen to him. I would take the time to do it right. Correct the situation now- not later.

Maybe a bigger sump is the answer. External skimmer might also be a solution but they usually take up MORE room than a submersible.

Back