So you want to buy a shark? (Shark primer)

When buying at a super market anything I should stay away from can parasites be a problem I'd like to buy some shrimp squid some type of fish cut it up and freeze it

How big is the ray? Search force feeding a shark, you can see a video alprazo made back in 2012 on how to do it.

Thank you He's about 6" across tried squid today that didn't work either the the rest of the tank loved it so I guess tube feeding it is any tips on how to keep his barb away

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-utGvmvyoGc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still have her today - and is about 24 inches long.

Just flip the ray on its back, the barb will not be an issue. You could also remove it. It is quite easy.

The image is curtesy of Zoodiver

Sorry for stolen this thread!
I think all shark lover would like to see any informations related with shark.
Therefore I post it here.
I promised that I would not do it next time!
Just for sharing!
My friend's shark tank(Hong Kong)
(8.5 feet wide, 18 feet long, 5 feet depth)
Two black tip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
One white tip reef shark (Triaenodon obesus)
Some Chiloscyllium griseum (Not shown on video because too small)
(Just sharing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_iPWz1IwY

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rm_iPWz1IwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
It a nice huge tank but imo those black tips are too big for it. I don't have a ton of experience with ORVs so Maybe zoodiver will chime in, but the multiple half flips of the tails and the jerky movements in the swim pattern tell me that they a utilizing extra of energy navigating the width of the tank.

It a nice huge tank but imo those black tips are too big for it. I don't have a ton of experience with ORVs so Maybe zoodiver will chime in, but the multiple half flips of the tails and the jerky movements in the swim pattern tell me that they a utilizing extra of energy navigating the width of the tank.

There is a store 1 hr from me that's has 3 black tips in a 17,000g tank. I would guess its 20-25 ft long by 8-10ft wide and 7-8ft tall and the tank looked small for them. The tank was much bigger than one of the intex pools you often see used for sharks

That is a great set up for white tip reef sharks. It's not a good black tip reef shark tank at all. You can see it in the way they kick when they are forced to make the tight turn. The jerking, one directional kick is hard on the spinal column. They need enough room to make full lateral swings of the caudal fin (tail) when making a turn. It might not show right away, but by the time you see the physical damage, it will be too late for the sharks.

Can someone with first hand knowledge tell me how large a California horn shark will get? I have read several books now and they all say something different and honestly it's kind of irritating. One book says 40" but then has a disclaimer that most don't get over 30-33" another book claims closer to 48" is max with most getting about 40-42". Such conflicting information out there and it seems that there are only a few active members here that keep sharks or have any knowledge about them. I just recently went to the public aquarium near me and the had 3 port Jackson sharks roughly 2ft each I. A tank that couldn't of been over 200g. I realize they have the knowledge and space to move the sharks when need be but it surprised me to see 3 in what I would consider a small tank.

Can someone with first hand knowledge tell me how large a California horn shark will get? I have read several books now and they all say something different and honestly it's kind of irritating. One book says 40" but then has a disclaimer that most don't get over 30-33" another book claims closer to 48" is max with most getting about 40-42". Such conflicting information out there and it seems that there are only a few active members here that keep sharks or have any knowledge about them. I just recently went to the public aquarium near me and the had 3 port Jackson sharks roughly 2ft each I. A tank that couldn't of been over 200g. I realize they have the knowledge and space to move the sharks when need be but it surprised me to see 3 in what I would consider a small tank.

Depends. The reason for the variation in sizes is due to the range of locations you can find them (temp range). It is very typical of horn sharks that you find in a range of temps. Port Jacksons get much bigger than most think. They can get into the 5 foot range. Cali horns will be 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 ft in most cases.

And sad to say, some aquariums aren't great examples of shark husbandry.

Depends. The reason for the variation in sizes is due to the range of locations you can find them (temp range). It is very typical of horn sharks that you find in a range of temps. Port Jacksons get much bigger than most think. They can get into the 5 foot range. Cali horns will be 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 ft in most cases.

And sad to say, some aquariums aren't great examples of shark husbandry.

Thanks for the reply Zoodiver. Yeah needless to say I wasn't impressed nor did I think what I witnessed with the port Jackson was representative of something that should be duplicated. As far as the Cali horn sharks go its good to hear they for the most part don't get over 3.5ft.

When you read max size, these are typically records or near records for the species. It doesn't mean that your shark will grow that big. It is like saying the **** sapien can growth up to 7 ft in height and weight over 1000 lbs. all true but uncommon.

I have seen many Cali horns in the 3 ft range. Do realize that growth rates of sharks are accelerated in the captive setting. The will often reach the size of maturity quicker than the wild counterpart, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be sexually mature at that size.

Edit. I can't believe that our genus is blocked and replaced with **** when typing it. How pathetic. Another great example of the absurdity of political correctness.

Last edited:
Back