Some one help me!!!!!

eperegoy

Tank Stats:

75 gal Perfecto tank 48x18x20" off craigslist. (Drilled)
40 gal sump 36x16x16" (four chamber: socks, skimmer, refugium, return)
Glass Holes 1500gph overflow kit with two 1.5" drains
Two 4" filter socks
Coral Box D700 Skimmer (Largest model, probably overkill but adjustable flow)
Refugium: Chaeto, miracle mud, mangrove tree, live rock (Copepod/Amphipods)
Jebao DCT 8000 return pump (again overkill but adjustable flow)
Two Cobalt Neotherm 150w heaters ( one in sump, one in tank)
Flex PVC return line (1")
One Venturi style swirl eductor (1")
Jebao RW-8 Wavemaker (Adjustable flow)
48" Marineland Reef LED (came with tank)
No controller: looking to build Arduino style controller. (Future)
5 stage Reverse Osmosis System without de-ionization (I drink this water too)
Feeding live food: silversides, Cope/Amphi, brine shrimp, garlic, homemade stuff
Red Sea test kit.
Red Sea Coral salt
Jebao Four stage dosing pump (future)
Carbon bags/ possible reactor (future)
BRS Pukani Dry Rock (40-60lbs)
Carib-Sea Ocean Direct grade live sand (80lbs)
All pumps (skimmer, return, wavemaker) are DC power (low heat)

Any feedback on this list is greatly appreciated. I have many of these things, but some I do not have or have not ordered yet (sump, 1500gph overflow kit, flex PVC, dosing pump, carbon/reactor, live sand, Pukani Dry rock) but this is my set plan so far. Also if in the future I can get by with pellets/flakes or any high quality food that is easy feeding I would love that for automation during trips or vacations to minimize my fish sitters job, but i realize this all depends on the fish/coral species in the tank. The reason some of these parts are so powerful is I plan in the future to upgrade to a 150gal tank.

Fish stock list, and reasons:

3 squareback anthias (schooling fish)
1 orange spotted goby (best sandsifter)
1 Starry blenny (rock hopper)
2 clownfish (anemone symbiosis)
1 Dwarf Flame Angel (color, watch out for corals)
1 watchman goby (pistol shrimp symbiosis)
1 pistol shrimp (watchman goby symbiosis)
1 blue tang (color, look out for ick)
1 yellow tang (color, look out for ick)
2 engineer goby (look like eels, won't kill my fish or shrimp)
2 barnacle blenny (shoot out of rocks to feed)
1 molenaris wrasse (buries itself in sand)
1 cleaner wrasse (hopefully to keep tangs free of ick)
2 clams (look cool)
2 harlequin shrimp (feed on choc chip starfish)
1 mandarin goby ( color, eats only Copepods)
Cleanup crew (emerald crabs, snails, hermits, shrimp)

I realize these can be fairly advanced fish to keep, and would like feedback on the list, some of these fish cannot be kept until the tank is well established. I understand that 18 actual fish is a lot to keep in a tank that is 75 gal, however a well known YOUTUBER named reefer Gil has a very similar 75 gal setup with many of the same fish, his has 13 actual fish total. I am willing to part with possibly the anthias although I would really like schooling fish, either the watchman goby or the orange spotted goby if either will pair with a pistol shrimp then I want the orange spotted for its incredible sand sifting abilities. I would also part with the blue tang I'm worried my tank may be too small and I also would part with the cleaner wrasse if you guys do not think he will be needed. Also I need tips on a clean up crew, how much of each emerald, hermit, snail, shrimp etc. I am looking to do SPS and LPS corals and softies and read that hermits and other crabs can puncture the softies and do damage with their pointy legs. Hopefully I can accommodate as many of these creatures into my tank as possible, as I should be able to cycle the water very well and remove much of the bio load with my setup. I am completely new to this and bought my tank off craigslist, but as you can tell I have been researching for monthes now and hope I can pull off one of the most beautiful 75gal reefs around over the next couple years. Any feedback/tips are welcome guys!

Thanks,
Ethan

Snorvich has refused to help or even allow this post i do not understand why???? He has allowed other and answered their questions! What the hell guys this is sposed to be the best site and it isn't helping me at all! No one will allow me to post! This sucks and I'm here to learn plz help me!

Calm down - Snorvich is not refusing to help you or ignoring you ;). He simply could not see your posts because for some reason the spam filter keeps auto flagging your posts. Once you get a handful of posts under your belt it won't be an issue anymore.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would forget the idea of either tang in your tank. It's just too small for them. Ditto with the mandarin, at least for the first year or so.

IF you want to do coral you will need RO/DI water. You can get a bypass kit for drinking water. I would also suggest not using live sand. Just get a good piece of live rock to add to the rest of the dead rock and sand. It will seed the rest just fine.

I am not a livestock expert but the tangs in a 75g are a no go. The min tank size on a yellow tang is 100g and 180g for a blue tang. Don't expect schooling fish to school in an aquarium unless you have a predator in there with it. Schooling is a defensive response to a threat.

I know you said you plan to upgrade to a 150 in the future but unless the future is 8 months from now, you will need to rethink some stock. If the equipment you plan on buying is all overpowered for a larger tank why not just start with the larger tank? THe tank is one of the smaller costs.

I would think a 75 gallon is too small for the Squarespot anthias, as well. They are one of the larger species of anthias, and really need a large water volume.

You may say you are upgrading in the future, but you should really stock for what you have now. Sometimes things happen in life to keep us from that upgrade.

I agree with Billdogg, but everything else should be doable. I don't know much about engineer gobies, but from what I've read, they are very reclusive and likely you won't see them much.

Most of the help you need can be sourced from the stickys posted at the top of each topic category: "new to hobby", "Reefs", "DIY", etc.
I have a hunch that you might have already red some of these stickys but are trying to push the boundaries of reality in the delicate balance of this hobby.
The several that replied to you are doing you a favor by reiterating information that a prudent tank keeper should know. -You appear to be a prudent tank keeper, from looking at the list of considerations you already made in your initial post.
My intention is not to blast at you, since I made many newbie mistakes myself, but to keep you from making unrealistic expectations from your current (momentary?) enthusiasm and lofty goals.
Please patiently continue your research and be good to the livestock by considering their individual needs.
I thank you for your effort.

In a 75 you might get a trio of chromis to stay together and they would be all right in that size. Not sure it can support anthias, and too small for tangs. That 40 gallon sump, however, will give you quite a bit of processing power if you can crowd your sump gear into one end and set up a large rocky fuge in the middle, and that will make for a steady tank. 2 clowns, however, are going to claim at least 25 gallons unto themselves, and if a larger species of clown like Clarkiis will claim about 50 gallons---they're pushy little beggars, some with teeth, that will not hesitate to bite the owner--- Cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp more often serve to irritate a fish's skin in a small tank and may actually provoke health problems. They don't really do much for ich if anything. They're more like parasites feeding off the fish's protective slime coat. The mandy should be put in only after the fuge is very healthy and toward a year old. And a small mandy at that. I also don't recommend getting a pistol shrimp: been there, got the tee shirt---shrimp grew, killed the goby, then proceeded to kill several dartfish before I got him out by nearly taking my tank apart. I will not have another one. It's not a symbiosis that lasts, and the fish he killed was one of my favorites. The watchman himself is a very efficient sandsifter, but will eat pellet. Beware of getting a sandsifter that's too dependent on that food source until the tank is older.

Back