Spotted Mandarin

ThroThra

I have an awesome small spotted mandarin who eats pods all day but hasn't had a full belly since I got him two weeks ago and isn't yet, at least in an obvious way, eating the frozen food I am giving him. It looks like time to time he will grab some of it when its completely dissolved but I cannot prove it. Are there any tricks to helping him transition? I have heard of pipettes working but I am curious if you all have other tricks.

There are some people that have successfully 'trained' their mandarins to eat prepped food but be aware that this is not usually considered a replacement to their normal pod diet but more of a supplement.

Some people say to turn off the powerheads and such. I remember reading someone that started with live brine, then frozen brine and that seemed to work OK.

My take on it is it'll either happen or it won't. Hopefully your tank is big enough to sustain a 'pod population in case this one doesn't take any.

There is an interesting device someone uses that helps feed live baby brine shrimp but It seems you're focused on frozen food feeding.

try smaller food. frozen cyclop-eeze or nutramar ova if you can get them. soaking food in selcon has also increased my mandy's interest in it.

as fearyaks said, the baby brine shrimp feeders are excellent for helping to supplement their diet.

you can also try live black worms and live white worms.

it takes them a while to fatten up sometimes, but as long as you have an appropriately sized tank, with an appropriately sized pod population, and now competition, they should get there eventually. supplementation is always appreciated though.

you could also consider making a "mandarin diner". you can see some examples if you search the forum, they can be quite useful as well.

I tried small mysis with the pumps off. I would have to get the base very close to him because they are slow and other fish will get to the food before. It took a lot of time but it eventually went for even pellets. It eventually passed away one day but not from starving because a few other fish died within a few days... they are really pretty fish though.

Oh I guess I didnt notice that either... I would avoid it at 29 unless you can get it to eat pellets and or be able to supply it with pods. I personlly know someone with one that eats pellets in a 29.

Ive got mine eating pellets but only every now and then, he is in a 75 gallon. I would tell you not to get one for a 29 gallon, I am kind of guilty of trying to keep one In my 30 gallon, I didnt do well with the first try and on the second try I allowed about 15,000 copepods to repopulate my 30 after the first attempt at housing a mandarin failed. I agve the 15,000 about 5 months to multiply and populate the tank then I tried again. My mandarin stayed fat the whole time and I eventually upgraded to a 75 gallon 4 months later. Only then once I had him in my 75 did I notice him eating pellets. Never seen him eat mysis or brine though

this is a interesting thread, you would think a healthy 29 g with lots of rock and pods . that the little guy would be in heaven

this is a interesting thread, you would think a healthy 29 g with lots of rock and pods . that the little guy would be in heaven

I think the problem is that they are so voracious that they will consume the pod population too fast (before it can safely replenish itself). So it might be able to sustain it for a month or two but in the end it'll run out of food.

I think the problem is that they are so voracious that they will consume the pod population too fast (before it can safely replenish itself). So it might be able to sustain it for a month or two but in the end it'll run out of food.

Correct. In general, with no copepod competitors, a 75 gallon tank (or tank plus refugium totaling 75 gallons) is the minimum suggested tank for one dragonet.

Back