SPS pests and treatment options

Yes I'm aware of that, and just in case, is it known an alternative treatment for these red bugs ?

Yes I'm aware of that, and just in case, is it known an alternative treatment for these red bugs ?

Interceptor is really the best treatment out there. If you show the info I posted most vets should be able to help you.

I have read alot of post asking about dips and what "I shold do with new corals". Putting new additions in QT is the best option but for many is not an option. Here is a dip procedure that I have used with great results:

What I do is acclimate for how ever long it takes me to get 5 gal worth of water. Normally that about 2hr. After an hour I add the interceptor. 10x the recommended dosage of .025 gram per 10 gal. So for 5 gal its .125 grams. Add a small powerhead, MJ 400 for me and a heat set to 79 degrees. Put a top on the bucket and set over night for 12 hrs.

After 12hrs is finished, I get one gal of fresh tank water. Remember Corals have already been acclimated and add the Corals. Add my AEFW killer (TMPCC or Revive) for 15 min with a MJ 400. Some time I will use both at different times, NOT TOGETHER. I turkey bast the coral every 5 min too. Just to make sure everything comes off.

After the 15 min, I get one more gal of fresh tank water and raise the coral off in it.Than I look for eggs with a magnifying glass. If I see any worm or eggs, off to the trash they go. If all looks OK than into the tank.

In addition to Brian, I always snap off the rock where the corals in encrusted on and trow it away. You will lose the encrusted part, but eggs are always on rock or dead skeleton, so the risk of introducing eggs into the system is even smaller then.

Leonardo

I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent
madkeenreefer
I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths
IMG_2755.jpg

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue

Interceptor is really the best treatment out there. If you show the info I posted most vets should be able to help you.

Well I've seen kind of dificult to find interceptor here because seems that this dog desease is not very common here in mexico

but I see that Ivermectin is being used to treat heartworms in dogs also and I'm wondering is this could be or has been used to treat red bugs in corals.

Well I've seen kind of dificult to find interceptor here because seems that this dog desease is not very common here in mexico

but I see that Ivermectin is being used to treat heartworms in dogs also and I'm wondering is this could be or has been used to treat red bugs in corals.

The active ingredient in interceptor that kills RB's is Milbemycin Oxime. I have never heard of people using Ivermectin, as interceptor is available state side. If Ivermectin has the active ingredient Milbemycin Oxime in it, it should work. The dosage might change as a large dogs, 51-100lbs tablet of interceptor are just under 1 gram each and contain 23mg of Milbemycin Oxime.

A good dip for AEFW is Marine Melafix. I battled them for about a year until I got them out of my tank. They are a definate nightmare. The Melafix is aggressive on pests and does not seem to hurt the coral. I have double dosed and it didn't kill coral. JME

A good dip for AEFW is Marine Melafix. I battled them for about a year until I got them out of my tank. They are a definate nightmare. The Melafix is aggressive on pests and does not seem to hurt the coral. I have double dosed and it didn't kill coral. JME

What about Montipora Nudis, does this Melafix get rid of them too?

Hey snake try coral rx.. I have those freaking nudis and the coral rx destroys them!!!!
The only thing is you have to dip the coral and then dip again in four days because it doesnt kill the eggs. I can tell you that the dip is pretty safe for the coral as i overdosed and left the coral in longer and doesnt look like it stressed it out. I also believe that coral rx kills AEFW and other things..

FYI, CoralRX does not apparently kill nudis. It "removes" them and it is stressful for LPS corals if left in for 10 minutes, which is the upper end of what they recommend. At 5 minutes, I didn't have any problem, but at 10 minutes it caused several of my LPS to eject their zooxanthalae.

i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????

Oh that's a good observation, so you are saying that red bugs are sensitive to low temperature, but I would say that also other inhabitants could suffer that temperature change and it would be very risky to expose all tank to that?

What fish do you keep in your tank? do you have crabs? snails ? starfish?

Back