SPS pests and treatment options

I got mine out yesterday. Traps do not work. Steve Weast from the Oregon Reef told me traps are a waste of time. Steve pulled two worms out of his tank, one was 5ft and the other 7ft. OMG He told me there tail usually doesn't leave the burrow. Only way to remove it is to find the rock it burrows in and remove the rock. Thank you Steve. I know it sucks but trust me well worth it. These worms can grow very large, mine started eating expensive acros. Not cool. We as reefers put all this time, energy, and money into creating an environment that will support these beatiful acropora not create gourmet meals for a worm.

Here is how you do it. Stake out the tank at night with a red flash light. I used a red flashlight and a couple of clip-on desk lamps with red bulbs in them. Light the tank up nice and good. It took me several nights to find its home. Be patient.

Now do what you have to do to get the rock out. Me I had to cut coral that had fused the rock in place. Pull the rock out, please use gloves, us a syringe and inject Club Soda into it's lair. LeslieH works at The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. She is an expert in worms you can find her here on Reef Central. She told me to use club soda and boy does it work. After a few injections into the hole it crawled out of there fairly quickly. Thank you Leslie.

After he crawled out I started to inspect the rock to make sure it was safe to put back in. I saw another one. *** I injected more club soda in and kind of pushed it out. When it dropped out I noticed it didn't have a head. I couldn't believe it. It left its tail behind to regenerate into a new worm. What an incredible survival mechanism.

Everyone who has one remove it. They might be harmless at first but as they get older their appetite changes and they start munching on coral. Trust me you want no parts of this. Get it out as soon as possible.

Here it is

IMG_0481.jpg

Close up of its face

IMG_0483.jpg

I got mine out yesterday. Traps do not work. Steve Weast from the Oregon Reef told me traps are a waste of time. Steve pulled two worms out of his tank, one was 5ft and the other 7ft. OMG He told me there tail usually doesn't leave the burrow. Only way to remove it is to find the rock it burrows in and remove the rock. Thank you Steve. I know it sucks but trust me well worth it. These worms can grow very large, mine started eating expensive acros. Not cool. We as reefers put all this time, energy, and money into creating an environment that will support these beatiful acropora not create gourmet meals for a worm.

Here is how you do it. Stake out the tank at night with a red flash light. I used a red flashlight and a couple of clip-on desk lamps with red bulbs in them. Light the tank up nice and good. It took me several nights to find its home. Be patient.

Now do what you have to do to get the rock out. Me I had to cut coral that had fused the rock in place. Pull the rock out, please use gloves, us a syringe and inject Club Soda into it's lair. LeslieH works at The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. She is an expert in worms you can find her here on Reef Central. She told me to use club soda and boy does it work. After a few injections into the hole it crawled out of there fairly quickly. Thank you Leslie.

After he crawled out I started to inspect the rock to make sure it was safe to put back in. I saw another one. *** I injected more club soda in and kind of pushed it out. When it dropped out I noticed it didn't have a head. I couldn't believe it. It left its tail behind to regenerate into a new worm. What an incredible survival mechanism.

Everyone who has one remove it. They might be harmless at first but as they get older their appetite changes and they start munching on coral. Trust me you want no parts of this. Get it out as soon as possible.

Here it is

IMG_0481.jpg

Close up of its face

IMG_0483.jpg

Fascinating!! How are they introduced into the aquarium, via live rock or corals?

I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent
madkeenreefer
I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths
IMG_2755.jpg

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue

Ive seen these on 2 acro's 1 oregon tort that was slowly going downhill. When I checked the corals out after lights were out these bugs were cruizing around the 2 acros that were dying. Ive seen a couple other posts from people regarding them but no one seems to know exactly what they are. I tried to get a pic and couldnt they are so small. Its hard to see in your pic, but your description of them is dead on.

Another thing to remember is that just because your tank might be infested, it is not the end of the world. There are plenty of people that have moved beyond the days of worrying about pests to have successful reef tanks. There are also plenty of stunning tanks that just live with them in their systems. Many people use "the basting menthod" where they use a turkey baster or powerhead to blow the pests (especially aefw) off the corals.
This methods helps to manage their numbers and allows the coral to continue to thrive. The basting method, along with natural predation (wrasses and such) does work and many say that they have not seen any evidence after a period of time. Some of my favorite tanks are still currently using this method.

I just realized today that I have AEFW. So glad to read this b/c I don't have the time or space for a full eradication plan. I'm hoping can keep the population near zero with dips and some wrasses.

What's the best med to reduce numbers in the display? Fluke tabs? Anyone tried Prazi-pro (praziquantel)?

Last edited:
I just realized today that I have AEFW. So glad to read this b/c I don't have the time or space for a full eradication plan. I'm hoping can keep the population near zero with dips and some wrasses.

What's the best med to reduce numbers in the display? Fluke tabs? Anyone tried Prazi-pro (praziquantel)?

So this wouldn't have been a problem for a healthy coral? Or the healthy tissue left on that coral?

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Please help me figure out a way to save this cap, I have other monti in the tank so i know it's only a matter of time before i see them on the others as well, any advice on some natural predators just to keep the numbers in check?

i just had a bleaching outbreak and am wondering if one of these pests could have had something to do with it. Ill have to take a much closer look it appears

I recently discovered AEFW's
did not know why mys sps's were suffering, until i hit on these threads, but I have had all of the symptoms for months. I can now tell why my Neon Pseudochromis and striped Pseudochromis are the fattest and happiest pseudo's in the state. They must have been munching away, and keeping them in check.
I have now added a six line wrasse and a fairy wrasse. The addition of the new fish must be decreasing the flatworm load, because my corals are coloring back up. Also my to pseudochromis are out and actively hunting more- they must have to try harder with the new fish competing for worms.

When i think the worm load is at a minimum, i am thinking about dosing with Fluke out medicine.

Montipora eating nudibranchs

Montipora eating nudibranchs

Discovered something unusual about one of my montiporas ...after careful
inspection I found it was had several monti /nudis and the eggs. I removed two frags that were close together plus I inspected 3 others but did not find any sign of them being infected..
What is the the chance that I got them all by removing the infected frags from the tank?
Do you think it would be best to remove all the motiporas from the tank and keep them quarantined for two to three weeks? Thanks for your help.

Discovered something unusual about one of my montiporas ...after careful
inspection I found it was had several monti /nudis and the eggs. I removed two frags that were close together plus I inspected 3 others but did not find any sign of them being infected..
What is the the chance that I got them all by removing the infected frags from the tank?
Do you think it would be best to remove all the motiporas from the tank and keep them quarantined for two to three weeks? Thanks for your help.

quarantining all monti would be a good idea. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough. I seems the their egg hatch in 2 weeks time. I would say that a longer quarantine period would be better.

is there a documented quarintine method for sps, say in reefkeeping magizine or some other source that is well respected? i'd like to insure as best as possible no pest into the aquarium.

Back