SPS pests and treatment options

I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent
madkeenreefer
I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths
IMG_2755.jpg

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue

Hi MadKeenreefer, I don't believe that is one of these unwanted redbugs, redbugs are much smaller, I would say like a half or less than a grain of salt

That seems more like a copepod (but I can't count it's legs) or other not harmfull pod

for AEFW, the camel shrimp its a good solution, the thing here is to get it out the tank once he has finished the labor, without that bugs become a coral predator too....

i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????

I experienced the same type of situation in regards to temp. Six months ago I downsized tanks and my acros sat in four separate totes without a heater for about 12hrs. The temp of the one tote I was monitoring drooped down to 71F. After that I never had a red bug again. I always wondered if it was the temp.

Well I did an experiment taking the afected acroporas out of the tank to keep them in a bucket for a week and let temperature get down to 22°Celsius.

Well the theory seems to work but I lost one acropora frag I believe because temp went below 22°C a midnight or so, I only monitored temp at morning and at evenining.

I believe I should have keep a heater to not let temp get lower than 22°C

Well I returned the acroporas to the main tank after the seventh day, to let any remaining bug in the tank die without having a host, Right now I belive I'm clean of redbugs so I can tell temp do kill red bugs but if you do not monitor closely you have a risk of having RTN also.

I experienced the same type of situation in regards to temp. Six months ago I downsized tanks and my acros sat in four separate totes without a heater for about 12hrs. The temp of the one tote I was monitoring drooped down to 71F. After that I never had a red bug again. I always wondered if it was the temp.

Ive been in contact with Borneman and he believes its possibel....in fact, now were 3 of us (in Mexico) that has the same results...and you...

good news...

in my tank, now is 2 weeks with no redbugs...

Great thread

Great thread

After many pests and many years of dipping here's my conclusion.

While I still go thru the motions. Living with pests is like being married , when new you are really expsosed and after several years well if they are there you simply live with them and try to tolerated them b/c the alternative can be really painful. LOL:mixed:

I just detected AEFW in my tank. I was thinking of doing dips and basting corals in CoralRx once a week, but I don't have a QT tank and it is really not an option for me to set up a whole new system.

What should I do?

camel schirmp its a good option for AEFW, but once their works ends, one need to get it out of the tank....

I am sure this has been answered, but do AEFW's affect only smooth skinned acropora, or can the also affect other sps such as pocillipora, and millepora?

i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????

Put me down as one more who's experienced this. I did a tank transfer from Central California to Reno, Nevada(in the snow). My rock was in a trailer and probably got down to around 50 degrees or less. My corals were in insulated containers but still were pretty cold after the 3 hour car ride. I planned on treating for redbugs after the tank transfer so I could separate my inverts like my cleaner shrimp. I've looked very closely and even the most infected corals I had have absolutely no redbugs anymore. Before I could see them with my naked eye, I've tried looking at them under a powerful magnifying glass and I don't see anything. I'm still going to keep an eye out and won't be surprised if they pop up again but for now I'm not going to treat my tank.

I am sure this has been answered, but do AEFW's affect only smooth skinned acropora, or can the also affect other sps such as pocillipora, and millepora?

they will affect all arcos and arcos only. millies where some of the first that were affected when i had them.

only smooth skinned acropora.

This is not true, as Brian mentioned, I have found AEFW on milleporas and prostrats in the past. I have never had a pocillipora so I can not confirm or deny that one.

When i treated, I removed acros and acros only. I left all other sps in the display. It been 5 yrs and no AEFW in sight. I have confidence that they only affect acros.

interceptor effects

interceptor effects

What will happen to my clams if I dose my tank with interceptor?

Eric

Back