Stockman Standpipe--New, Easier Design

I made mine last night and installed but it had a terrible sucking noise through the cap and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the noise. I have a 1" bulkhead that and the pipe was 22" for a 24" tall tank. The overflow goes down to my sump and the pipe goes about 1 1/2" to 2" below the water level in my sump. I am running a Little Giant 3mdq-sc and pumping about 850 gph through the pump. I had to put the Durso back on and it does not sound bad but was hoping for a more compact and like the idea that it is a 1" pipe all the way to the sump.

What am I doing wrong that I get the terrible air sucking noise. I cut all but three of the braces like you.

Thanks

I bought the parts but it didn't work because I was not able to get the correct parts. The 2" to 1" reducer had the fluted section on the opposite side and my rig did not work.....Like everyone said, HD sucks and I don't have a Lowes around here. So I built the Durso and its working so far....Thanks for everyoneââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s help....

marm64 said:
I made mine last night and installed but it had a terrible sucking noise through the cap and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the noise.

The same thing happened to me...after optimizing the level of the plug, it had reduced the noise level, but it was still creating a sucking sound. Putting a cover on my overflow box helped some. Interestingly, after a week or so, the sucking sound has totally disappeared....like the stockman overflow had a break in period. I think part of it has to do with trying to push too much flow through a 1 inch overflow...when I throttled back my return pump the sucking sound also disappeared. I love the new design though; compact, professional looking, and quiet.

I have yet to figure out why the pipe works on some tanks and not on others. It may have to do with the plumbing to the sump and back pressure.

I have made my design (original) for about 20 people so far and I have had numerous people contact me directly. Very few people have had a problem--actually I can think of only one person off hand.

If I play with the drain into my sump I might be able to eliminate the sucking noise? My drain is 1" flexible pvc and it goes into the sump about 1-2". What do you think I should do to see if I can get rid of the sucking noise? I would be willing to try stuff if I knew where to start.

Thsnks

Any idea if these parts are availible in dark gray PVC (sch. 80, usually)? I have an AGA tank that sits in the middle of a room as a room divider, and my overflow is visible, so something other than white is desirable. I have a reducer and cap with holes drilled in it right now, but am tired of the intermittent noise from it. I'd like to try the new design, but may just wind up blacking out the overflow compartment if it needs to be made from white pipe.
-Ron

I am considering making a stockman standpipe for my loud overflow. The question I have concerns the size of the standpipe. Looking at your plans you mention a 12ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ piece of 1ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ PVC, my overflow is rather small (see attachment) and the total depth is only 8". Any suggestions as to how I can fit one of these in my tank? Has anyone else succesfully used this standpipe with a similar overflow?

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
The height of the overflow can be whatever works for you. Look at Stockmans website or do a search here for stockman standpipe. His latest design is very compact and will fit in your hang on overflow just fine.

My design was originally designed for my HOB overflows. THe hieght of the first pipe that I made was only 4" tall. They worked like a charm on the first shot.

I just built the "new" stockman overflow for my first acrylic project, an overflow box that fits with an eclipse hood. Works like a charm. Thanks Ken.

ok I just rigged up the stockman for my lifereef 700gph.. it does reduce the noise some, but it's still pretty loud. I'm wondering if I have the pipe going up too far in the box? The endcap is about 2" below the top of the outside overflow box. I drilled several holes in the pipe (will do the mitered thing later) and two small holes in the endcap. It was loud, so I drilled another, then another hole in the endcap-still loud. So I put my finger over a couple of the holes and it was very little bit quieter, so I glued two of the holes shut. But it's still really loud.
My drain goes about 1-2" below surface water in the sump. I raised and lowered it, no change, so I put it back to the 1-2" level.
I was thinking I might should cut some more of the PVC to bring the standpipe lower into the box?

thx for the great idea..

cordell

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 1.5" drain

I guess I found my answer

Just about every tank used by hobbiest has 1 inch bulkheads. However, some custom drilled tanks or very large tanks may have larger bulkheads. In almost every case I would suggest you install a reducer bushing down to 1 inch and use a standard sized standpipe. Only the largest of tanks will have overflow chambers with proper teeth spacing and have a properly size pump needed to keep a 1Ã"šÃ‚½ inch bulkhead and standpipe busy. If you can not provide enough water with a larger bulkhead the standpipe will slurp and suck air when the intake can not stay submerged.

If your dream is to use 1Ã"šÃ‚½ inch bulkhead on a 58 gallon tank forget about it! The Tim Taylor (Home Improvement TV show) thinking of larger, fatter, faster, bigger does not work as you would expect when dealing with drain pipes when the goal is to get them quiet.

Standpipes based on 1Ã"šÃ‚½ inch PVC typically will be to large for a standard overflow chamber.

Web site address

Web site address

I am sorry, Ken do you have a web site? I have dursos and they are still kind of loud.

here are some pics of a 1-1/2" version, but with a screw cap!

stockman.jpg

3" to 1-1/2" reduction fitting (3" side cut off)
3" coupling fitting (threaded side has a notch cut)
3" cap (threaded)

loosten the cap to increase airflow

Back