strange itchy bumps on skin

I have had a similar reaction after cleaning a tank that had lots of cyanobacteria/euglenoids growing as a film on the water's surface (it was a very dirty tank). The stuff stuck to my arm and everywhere it was turned red and got bumpy as in your picture.

these stupid things are still hanging on. it's been a week and a couple of days now. think it's worth an office visit? i have a feeling the doc would just tell me what's been said here.

"yup - you've got a rash."

Ben,

Have you tried using an anti-inflammatory topical creams? Assuming the rash has not gotten worse (spread, exudation, etc) and that you have not developed any new symptoms, I would suspect that an office visit would most likely result in a prescription for a medium strength (~10%) hydrocortisone cream. I believe that the over-the-counter brands are about 1%. It may be more prudent to try that first for a few days.

However, if you have good coverage/low copay...there would be no harm in seeing your primary care physician. If you do not have coverage, see if there are any walk-in clinics in your area. The med students here run a free walk-in clinic twice a week in Urbana.

no, i haven't tried any topical creams. it hasn't spread or gotten worse...just hasn't cleared up. i'll pick some cream up after work and give that a try.

yeah, we have coverage, but i think an office visit is still a $40 copay. i'll bet the cream is much cheaper. :)

Man. stop clowning around and visit the doc. He might be able to tell you what caused it so you can avoid it in the future.

Ben

Just looks like an allergic reaction to something you touched to me. I think if you go to the Dr. they will just give you topical.. like Rick said. Have you tried Benedryl cream or hydrocortozone? I think I have seen extra strength hydrocortozone that is higher than 1% recently... unfortunately I cant remember where. You can also use something called ITCH-X. Sounds silly but it works. I wouldnt be too concerned at this point. Just try to see exactly what caused it, if it happens again. I think it just takes time to heal....IMO

Same thing happened to my ex-wife after swimming through a school of jellyfish. Took about 6 - 8 weeks to clear up on its own.

leads me to believe what i said before(suprise) there may be something within that is having to be disolved,absorbed or encysted. The normal allergy things take hours not days to abate. Of course it could be poison ivy,nettles or something else not reef related at all- doubtful but possible. Done any weed pulling?

Ben already knows this, but I had the same breakout on the back of my hand every time I touched one of my anemones. I got rid of the anemone, and I never had another breakout.

Mine felt and looked a lot like poison ivy and took quite a while to clear up.

normal allergy is the same thing as contact dermatitis. These symptoms can occur as quick as immediate and can last as long as a couple of weeks and even as long as a month.

If the rash is still present, it is worth while to see a physician since there are few organism which could infect the skin when we play with marine life. Be sure to inform them about the marine contact.
I am not able to see from the picture clearly but just need to make sure it is not a mycobacterial infection.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10412674#post10412674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by medic29
normal allergy is the same thing as contact dermatitis. These symptoms can occur as quick as immediate and can last as long as a couple of weeks and even as long as a month.

I should have said normal allergy things for me- you are correct.

well, the bumps finally went away. i can still tell where they were, but by tomorrow i suspect all evidence will be gone.

i *think* i figured out what caused it, though. i was in the tank plucking off hydroids from the rocks. i just ran across this by accident in a sticky'd thread in the reef fish forum:

under the heading of "Venomous and/or Toxic Species:"

- Hydroids (usually just cause skin irritation if anything)

go figure.

i knew they were a jellyfish-type organism - should have put 2 and 2 together. drrrrrrrr!

Back