Tamarin Wrasse Primer.

there are lennardi's coming out our ears in LFS in australia atm, so hopefully a few make it your way. I got a juvi before christmas and he's doing brilliantly, nice and fat, also slowly changing colour to the blue and yellow from the pearl and black.

After reading this thread I take it that it is safe to add a few different kinds of tamarins in a large tank. I currently have a Hawaiian Potters in my tank and a redtail in QT. I would like to track down another yellowtail (just lost the one I had in QT) and also get a blue spot. Any thoughts on this mixing? Tank is a 540G. Thanks

I have a couple of those little cuties.

1-21-2012034.jpg

023copy.jpg

picked up a what I think is a Blue Spot Tamarin yesterday. Was in a tank full of yellowtail tamarins which I am more familair with ... didn't realize the Blue Spot gets much larger. Gorgeous fish though and was taking prepared foods at the LFS. Will post a picture soon but he went straight to the sand after introduction when my tang came to say hi. (could be a Anampses cuvier but was described to me as a 'Blue Star' more likely its caeruleopunctatus)

anything I should know? outside of my tank not being large enough for a long term home. Seems based on some reading that getting a healthy specimen to start with is the biggest hurdle.

my only suggestions are to give him room and dont be snapping flash pictures whe he first comes out fron under the substrate and also be sure get him eating asap . they are shy at first so you have to feed and then stand back from the tank and if you dont they will stay hidden or near a rock or bottom and will not eat .its key to let them eat asap as i said and then after that they will bring you years of enjoyment . what kind of tang is in the tank ?
fine sand 2" to 3" deep is best for him

It's a Kole tang and the tank is generally peaceful I think she should fit in well. Saw her swimming around this morning before lights came on. Then was out of the house all day and she was hiding in the sand again by the time I got home. didn't come out to eat but I'm not worried yet, saw her eating mysis at the store and her mouth looked good. Guessing that lots of time in the sand is the norm for the first week +

nice little female probably less than 2.5" hope she adjusts well

Last edited:
yes, the borrowing under is a natural way for her to relieve all the stress from her journey over the past month or so .
best wishes my friend

I am craze about a feminus wrasse is any one keeping one
It is the best looking wrasse there is

Some pics of my Anampses femininus with a few tankmates. I've had her for about 2 years, and she gets along well with (= ignores) her mates.

AF%20interrupta2%20sm%20copy.jpg

AF&marginalis6%20sm%20copy.jpg

earlei,%20femininus5%20sm%20copy.jpg

femininus,%20flame,%20carmabi%20sm%20copy.jpg

earlei,%20interrupta,%20femininus%20sm%20copy.jpg

AF,%20goby,%20LNhawk%20sm%20copy.jpg

Ken

BEAUTIFUL pics Ken!

here's my new baby!
Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse!

male or female?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4510crop_resize.jpg
    IMG_4510crop_resize.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4554crop_resize.jpg
    IMG_4554crop_resize.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4753AAA_resize.jpg
    IMG_4753AAA_resize.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4749AAA_resize.jpg
    IMG_4749AAA_resize.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4748AAA_resize.jpg
    IMG_4748AAA_resize.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1
just got one very close to that guy its anampses liniatus and he came in great shape along with a blue spotted tamarin and a few different leopards .gonna make a real cool tank !

Thanks for putting pics of all those dream fish sirrus and Brad. Between the two of you, you've almost doubled the google image search results for blue striped tamarin wrasses. Of course TOTM congrats as well.

they are available to the retailers and you can get them cheaper from them and yes its the season and there are more avalable

I've had this little guy for 4 months now and is just starting to change so I thought I'd post a picture.

S0152689.jpg

Looking at sourcing a blue spot again as the last one was in bad shape and didnt make it. Also considering some of the others. They are a little easier to get feeding here as they dont travel as far.

My online retailer has a red tail but they keep there sg at 1.017 and my Fowlr is at 1.022 what is the best way to add the wrasse to my dt. Don't want to drip for to long and stress the fish.

Back