Tamarin Wrasse Primer.

ooh they have a pink maxima on their facebook. along with a legit photo of a borbonius anthias. tempting...

well its been two working days since i emailed them with no response so i dont think they have a good answer as far as their avialable fish or the health of them .

I'd be really interested in seeing if they actually had borbonious anthias as well.

Does anyone have tamarin's available right now?

Starting to draw the conclusion that a healthy physch head male can be pretty nasty towards anyone of his own kind. Initially I just saw issues with male chasing what looked like a female just starting transition to male. Well after removing a male and female in transition the male I have now with the harem of females is chasing EVERYONE. Even the smallest female. Not sure if this is their form of courtship or if the males are always like this, but the chasing is severe and he will chase one after another. There is one definite female in transition again (barely comes out of the sand now) but the rest are for sure females.

I have a few questions for everyone.

Can you mix red tails with yellow tails?

BlueZoo has yellow tails in stock and I'd like to try a few for my 75g FOWLR.

I have a rather larger fuge but I'm not sure how many pods actually make it into my display from there. I have no other 'hunters' in the tank nor do I intend on keeping any.

I have a 1.5-2.5" sandbed BUT there is egg crate that runs all along the bottom of the tank. There are areas around the rock structures where the sand is probably 4-5" deep ABOVE the egg crate.

Will this be suitable?

Any good practices for weaning these guys to frozen? I plan on seeding the DT with a pouch of the 'Reef Pods' at night with all the pumps off soon in order to 'seed' the main tank. I have already done that twice for my fuge and it is crawling with pods. It's to the point where I feel at least three or four whenever I have to move something in there and you can't look at the sandbed without seeing 20 instantly.

my psyc head trio was somewhat a disaster also as my male reeked havoc on the females and the rest of the tank . i wonder if they got their name from their looks or maybe their actions which seem to be psyco !
D5HP~i have mixed them with no problems at all so you should be okay IMO. i have also had the best luck getting them switched over to frozen simply by initially feeding them live brine then switching over to PE mysis shrimp and it has worked 99% of the time for me . i also believe that the aggression issues with wrasses twards each other can be subdued by have more fish in the tank rather than having just a couple of them . they almost act like cichlids IMO as far as stocking a tank .also be careful with the egg crate as the wrasses borrow and can travel pretty long distanced under the sand and may scratch and cut themselves on the egg crate by accident as they cant see where they are going when they are under the sand bed .and the pods will be eaten up faster than they can populate most of the time as wrasses constantly forge for food all day long and can consume enormous amounts of pods very fast . if you have a huge tank and a single wrasse you may see pods at a later date but if it is well stocked and not a gigantic tank with lots of LR then the wrasse will get them all in time .okay i just saw the size of your tank and indeed its small enough for a single wrasse to eat all your pods . you can feed them and hope that they will populate but i would spend my money on some pE mysis and be done with the feeding issues .
best wishes and please let us know how it goes

Thanks for the response. I think mixing them would be really awesome.

I am going out of town for a little while so I'll have to wait before ordering any. I'll have to take my chances with them being available with Blue Zoo still when I get back and I also have about 3 LFS looking for me as well.

I really want a tamarin after seeing one a few weeks ago and I think I could provide adequate care based on my 6-8x feedings per day.

I'd also be a little worried about the wrasses hitting the eggcrate. I also haven't had any issues with mixing redtails and yellow tails. All of mine eat the small Hikari mysis.

I'd also be a little worried about the wrasses hitting the eggcrate. I also haven't had any issues with mixing redtails and yellow tails. All of mine eat the small Hikari mysis.

Okay.

Is there anything else I could do? I simply cannot remove the egg crate without taking down the whole tank because of how I used the mortar when I was aquascaping. Could I add more sand? The egg crate is smooth on the top but there are a few places where I cut it to fit that may be a little rough.

Do you think they would have some real problems with it?

Also, as for QT...are these fish really susceptible to ICH? I really like the idea of QT'ing all additions but there isn't sand in my QT...just lots of PVC elbows. I'd also like the controlled environment of the QT for getting the fish to eat properly since I feed a TON in QT and do very small water changes about twice a day...I just siphon out a little pitcher of water focusing on leftover food in the tank and then just dump in some more from my big brute container full. Takes me 3 minutes.

In your opinions, would it be worth trying them with the egg crate or not?

Not sure about the eggcrate as I don't really know how far down in the sand they go. When I do see them go in or out it seems like the go more sideways into the sand than down.

All my fish go into QT and get a treatment of Cupramine and 2 treatments of Prazipro. For wrasses I always have sand in the bottom.

Not sure about the eggcrate as I don't really know how far down in the sand they go. When I do see them go in or out it seems like the go more sideways into the sand than down.

All my fish go into QT and get a treatment of Cupramine and 2 treatments of Prazipro. For wrasses I always have sand in the bottom.

My LFS was able to get a hold of a small female yellowtail and small female redtail for me.

They are going to hold onto them for a little while since I need to setup a QT with some sand. I'm probably going to use a 20L and stick some cheato in there from my fuge. Here's to hoping they eat prepared quickly!

Please post pics when you get them. Some kind of Tamarin is definitely on my long term wish list.

Damn! I literally just got off the phone with the LFS owner and the tamarin's her rep have are actually ALL larges. I really don't want to start with large females yet so I'm going to hold off for smalls or mediums and the rep said he can hang onto a trio or so for the shop. I also don't know the price yet...so that's a little scary. I hope they aren't outrageous and she said the yellows and reds are the same price, which I haven't seen (yellows are about half the cost of reds at Blue Zoo).

Well....here's to waiting!

She did get me another two orange lined cardinals...but that's besides the point.

Back