Tang in 55 gallon

I'll just add another vote -- if I may -- for the yellow tail blue damsel option. They're the most active fish in my 75g, and have added a lot of character and interest to my tank. Your son will love it. :)

Just thought I would mention that I went to the LFS and saw a yellow-tailed damsel and I have to say that it is a nice fish but quite different from a tang. I wasn't expecting an exact replica of a hippo tang but the damsels in the LFS seemed really small. Anyone have any idea as to how big a yellow-tailed damsel will get at full maturity?

They only get about two inches.

BTW I can have a tank full of yellow tail blue damsels next to a tank with a Hippo Tang and suprisingly more people (kids and adults) will point at the damsels saying "Dory!" :rolleyes: Seems unless they were already fish people, they only saw blue and yellow :lol: But than again most watched that movie with sea anemone's, sea turltes etc, and still ask "is Nemo fresh water?" :lol:

That's what I was afraid of sundance! I put a couple of blue damsels in my tank. I just got it set up and wanted to introduce some small fish first. BEFORE anyone jumps down my throat about that I am NOT using them to cycle my tank. I buy ocean water from Sesoko Island that gets shipped down to Okinawa and I pulled my substrate from the ocean. I'm sure there will be a small cycling process but nothing compared to what someone may experience when mixing there own water and mail ordering all of the livestock, rock and sand. Anyways as soon as he saw them he said DORY! I had to correct him and tell him they were damsels. He now calls them damsels and doesn't seem too disappointed. Thanks again everyone for the advice but it turns out Dory wasn't that important to him afterall. Now Nemo...that's a different thread.... :D

this movie has ruined our point and purpose of this hobby I think people who want to get into this hobby need to have a full understanding of the REEF that they plan on keeping and or any fish I have been able to succesfully keep a reef tank full blown sps with two tangs in a 65 gallon for over three years now and have never had a death or a spike or problem because I was patient with everything I did bottom line is here stop watching this retarted movie ( although it was good it shouldnt have an impact on your home aquariums given the fact that if your recall even nemo hated being in a small tank and all the fish in it wanted to escape... i hope my lil two cents help please stop killing our oceans....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6523421#post6523421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cutsupremetrib
this movie has ruined our point and purpose of this hobby I think people who want to get into this hobby need to have a full understanding of the REEF that they plan on keeping and or any fish I have been able to succesfully keep a reef tank full blown sps with two tangs in a 65 gallon for over three years now and have never had a death or a spike or problem because I was patient with everything I did bottom line is here stop watching this retarted movie ( although it was good it shouldnt have an impact on your home aquariums given the fact that if your recall even nemo hated being in a small tank and all the fish in it wanted to escape... i hope my lil two cents help please stop killing our oceans....

So what retarded movie did you watch that made you think it was a good idea to put 2 Tangs in a 65?

This Forum is called 'responsible reefkeeping'....I think your in the wrong place:rolleyes:

So what retarded movie did you watch that made you think it was a good idea to put 2 Tangs in a 65?

This Forum is called 'responsible reefkeeping'....I think your in the wrong place

people need to stop putting other people down... on a lighter note i didnt watch a movie Ive been very succesful in keeping these two tangs in my 65 for over two years Ive had a reef for three I havent killed a SINGLE thing yet hwo many people on rc can honestly say that??? ok ok so maybe Ive killed a couple aptaisias and feeder guppies but still lol I would like to know how you honestly judge if a fish is happy or not the two tangs I have are in excellent health and pick away at the algae and food i feed them plus they pick at the liverock and always look FAT and have never had ick or anything else. I think responsible reefkeeping has many different aspects but the bigger part of it IMO is keeping stuff alive for a long period of time and also having them thrive reproduce grow and be pretty... also on the lighter note this week Im getting my 150 gallon cube i cant wait BTTRFLYGRL
Im sorry i upset you I noticed you live in INDY not to far away from Lafayette either anyhow once i get my new tank then will u still yell at me lol sorry for the upset lets try keepin this on subject ( what i mean is lets not try to be tang police lol)

Hey cutsupremerib,

You should post some pics of your tangs in this thread. I think everyone would be really interested to see how they are doing and if they are healthy. If they are fat and happy then maybe a tang is possible for me after all.

You should laminat a picture of dory and stick it in front of a powerhead.

I have a yellow tang in a five gallon.He is very fat.he is 4 inches and loves seaweed selects and live brine shrimp. He has been in there for 4 months.There is 75 lbs of live rock.

I have a coral beauty angel in my tank which is more often than not called dory, by kids and adults alike. it is one of my favorite fish and has a great peronality and if yellow tailed damsles are mistaken for dory... coral beautys can deffinatly pass

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6542022#post6542022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cutsupremetrib

This Forum is called 'responsible reefkeeping'....I think your in the wrong place

people need to stop putting other people down... on a lighter note i didnt watch a movie Ive been very succesful in keeping these two tangs in my 65 for over two years Ive had a reef for three I havent killed a SINGLE thing yet hwo many people on rc can honestly say that??? ok ok so maybe Ive killed a couple aptaisias and feeder guppies but still lol I would like to know how you honestly judge if a fish is happy or not the two tangs I have are in excellent health and pick away at the algae and food i feed them plus they pick at the liverock and always look FAT and have never had ick or anything else. I think responsible reefkeeping has many different aspects but the bigger part of it IMO is keeping stuff alive for a long period of time and also having them thrive reproduce grow and be pretty... also on the lighter note this week Im getting my 150 gallon cube i cant wait BTTRFLYGRL
Im sorry i upset you I noticed you live in INDY not to far away from Lafayette either anyhow once i get my new tank then will u still yell at me lol sorry for the upset lets try keepin this on subject ( what i mean is lets not try to be tang police lol)

:beer: Sorry, I was a bit harsh..A 150 will be great for these guys. And so exciting to get a new tank!!

Back