Tank of the month - October 2002

Thanks everyone ... yes I would love to upgrade, if I only had a bigger house with a good sized wall to put it in ... new house will definately be big enough for a much larger tank, but for now, my 75 gallon is doing nicely and of course less viewing acrylic to clean than a larger tank ... haha ... Trust me, I basically know what I would do with it, but to be honest, the systems I have on this tank would find it's way on the new one, I really am happy with the way the setup I have has turned out for me.

Very nice, MtDewMan! Obviously a lot of love goes into that reef...

One Q: Are those plants fake on the sides of the tank? :lol:

Chuck, awesome setup...

On your lighting, is that a PFO reeflector (the mogel base MH) you're using? If so, did you ever mount it perpendicular like recommend or has it always been parallel? The reason I ask is that my pair of Iwasakis are mounted perpendicular in their PFO reflectors and it's tough as all get out to mount more than two VHO actinics under my 90 gallon hood and i was curious if I sacrificed the extra 'refelctive' capability of the perpendicular mount for the ability to add another pair of actinics, if it would be worth it.

thanks,

Thanks again everyone ... Nice to get such positive comments ... It is quite the honor ...

Playfair ... Ummm ... yep, those are fake plants. You got me. Hey, I never claimed to have a green thumb, just a wet one :p

6-Line ... I have thought about a perpendicular arrangement, but like you I was too limited on the VHOs I could fit in. So elected to go the parallel route and have not regretted it. I get plenty of light in my tank (as some that have seen it in person can attest to). If anything I would like to be able to put in maybe one more VHO actinic bulb ... hehe ... I have about a foot between the MHs, wonder if I can get a true actinic PC bulb to fit in there???

Plankton ... No new projects planned. I did install that 2nd reactor chamber from Myreef and it is working like a charm. I had thought about setting up a frag growout tank in my garage, but have not made that committment to myself quite yet. I may get a treadmill in there instead ... haha

SusieQ .... I do nothing special to the sand ... I have very little algae growth in my tank except for some nuisance spots of bubble algae. I do have Nassarius snails that help the sand bed as well as a couple of cucumbers that enjoy grazing on the sand as well.

Great looking tank!!

I have a question regarding your closed loop. I noticed that you only have (1) 1.5" bulkhead with a 1800gph pump? Is this correct? How much suction is comming from this bulkhead? Do you feel you would have been better of with (2) 1.5"bulkheads? I ask this because I am in the process of setting up a CL with a mak4 (1200gph), and am contemplating 1 or 2 bulkheads. Would be easier if I could get away with only one. Just don't want to suck down any unexpecting creatures. thanks

You are correct, I only have one bulkhead (1.5") going to the closed loop pump. I have never seen any critter getting sucked onto the strainer. I have seen fish swim by it with no problems either. I am not sorry I did it this way at all. To me the less holes I had to put in the back of the tank the better. Would I do it differently on the next setup? Probably not, the only thing I would do different is to design the plumbing a bit differently so that the pump is in a better location for easier maintenance (removal and replacement). It is awkward in the present location, if moved to the right about 1 foot, it would be a whole lot easier :)

Hope this helps.

Sa Weet!

Very nice tank, Chuck. As always, keep up the ultimate reefkeeping!

Angela (who never misses a pic of the dewman's tank:D )

I love your clams. The one vivid blue one in particular. Does it show that color because you have it facing toward the front of the tank rather than pointing it upward?

Beautiful tank, and your sump is so impressive that I don't even get it. :D However, I did like your computer to protect your tank from overheating.

Thanks Angela ... I try to keep the pictures coming ... but it gets old taking pictures of the same ole' stuff though huh?

Glad to help sdg ...

melev ... that clam shows it's color like that because ... it IS truly that color :)

Back