Tank of the Month - October 2004

Hello John...its me again! I can't stop going back and looking at your tank...still amazes me!

Question, I see you use a Dolphin 2000, I can't seem to find any curves for that pump anywhere. Do you know the flow rate on that pump and is it submerged?

Thank you!
Mike

John, What a beautiful reef. I too am planing my tank to be predominate sps. One question: you say when you do a water change you blow the rock off with a turkey blaster and stir up the substrate so that the detritus is suspended. When it's suspended like that, how do you suck it all out?

Thanks,Scott

MacnReef,

Glad you can enjoy it.....The dolphin is a newer addition to the reef,I replaced the mag 24, trying to cut the wattage down. The curve is on Marine Depot site, under powerhead I believe.

I am using it submerged, I think it can be used wither way, but at 4 foot of head, I am pretty sure it is 2000 gph...But I have it necked down right off the pump to 3/4 inch, and it is giving me micro bubbles, I am planning on re-doing the plumbing to fix the issue.

o2bnh20,

Thanks Scott, I like to keep the detritus in the water column, better chance for it to get into the overflows. I am then able to suck it out of the overflows and fuge.

I have just added another Tunze for flow, as much as I do not like the looks of it where I had to place it, my flow is now very good, and I have noticed that there is very little left to blow off the rocks anymore...

Btw, if anyone has been thinkng about the Tunze magnets, I purchased one for the new tunze, they are great, a little large, but the options are endless.....

John...thanx!

Actually I am considering dual 6100's, are you using one single controller or are you getting single controllers for each or what?

Mike

Mike,

I have the one 6100 with a single controller, and then I added a single 6080, no controls, it was the best for my situation, as I had said in the write up, my 6100 positioned in the back corner caused issues with one of my stags,so I put the 6080 back there as all is well, nw the 6100 is at full tilt across the fronto f the tank, pulsing every 5 seconds, the polyp extension has been much better. Now if I can work those little sob red bugs out of the equation I will be happy......

Cool! Well I can get ahold of a Tunze 6080 as a trade and I can buy a 6100 with controller, do you feel that is adequate for most 180's with sps like your tank?

Any pictures of where you put the new 6080 and where the 6100 is?

Mike

Mike,

No pics yet, in fact I really do not like it where it is, but as I said, no other options, I really didn't think they would fill in as fast as they have.....

Picture this though, in my pic of the tank, the tunze that is mounted in the far right corner, that was the 6100, now it is the 6080, just in front of that about two thirds towards the front of the tank, above the green slimer, the 6100 is mounted on the magnet holder blowing towards the other slimer.

I woud think that this would be sufficient, depending on your rockwork, I have no idea how someone could use two 6100's full tilt without moving the substrate around, mine is actually causing a slight re-arrangement of mine now......

Thanx for the quick replys John...looks like I will order a 6100 from MD and get the 6080 as a trade.

One last question....what is full tilt? Does that have something to do with flow.

Mike

Mike,

No problem , just been reading about skimmers......

The controller has different settings, when I say full tilt,I mean the full 100% setting, 3100 gph......

You should be very impressed..............

Hey john i sent you a PM at MR, btu thought i woudl post here since were are talking about the streams,

I saw you updated you flow problem, so you think that 2 6100s would be way to much for a 180?

i was gonna do 2 6100s on a muticontroller? and have them poistioned so one is on the leftside up front on that left pannel of glass and getting a magnet you it to angel it towards on rock formation on the right side of the tank and then repeat this again for the right side using a magnet?

what do you think? should i go with 1 6100 and 1 6080? or just the 2 6100s as i have said poistioned where i said?

or do you think i should repostion them? i know you ahd problems with tissue recession on some of you corasl that were close to the 6100s so i didnt want to put them along the back or shoudl i stick one back there?

let me knwo what you think!

i know you are very busy so if you have the time to reply that would be great!

again congrats! you desreve it!

Nick

Mike,

I am intrigued by the Deltec and the newest sensation the Bubble King......I am doing a little research to further screw up my mind........

Nick,

It is hard to say, I was able to fix my current problems by adding another tunze, but, you know how I am about the way things look inside my tank. I am getting good flow the way I have these two positioned now, but as I told Mike, the substarte is moving around a little bit now, so I would think that two 6100's unless used on opposite settings would be quite a bit, especially the way you are setting yours up.....

yeah i know how you are about that haha!

but i was thinking the same thing abotu too mich but them again its a shallow sand bed, and good flow is get from an all SPS tank, but i just dont knwo what to do!

man tough call on this one!

maybe i shoudl get 1 6100 and one 6080? and put them both on the controller? what do you think? but how wopudl i poistion them i am doing a 2 island look, different han yours, but still 2 island?

can you see any of the egg crate?

or maybe just 2 6080s? postioned where i said above?

thanks alot john!

Nick

Sorry Nick,

Just got back from work, got a call from the local police somebody broke into my store and took a bunch of product. Tanks fine though.....

Anyhow, the 6080's are not controlable,let me think this out, give me a call at work tomorrow afternoon...........

John

alright i think i need your number i will PM you at Michiganreefers to get the number again i think i lost the paper with the number on it?

thanks!

Nick

and i am glad your tank is ok! haha, well hows the store? i hope everything is fine!!! and i hopw the damage in miniamal!

but i will give youa call when i get you number again! sorry i lost it just shoot me a PM at MR!

thanks again! and hope everything is ok!

Nick

Beautiful tank. What's the chance I can get a couple of frags of those awesome sps. I'll pay. I have a built in 150 that would love to host a couple of your specimins! Good Job with everything.

Back