Tank of the Month - October 2004

John, congrats. You deserve it. It is an unbeleivable tank, pics don't do justice to the real thing.

P.s. I love the comments about the 250 halides.

Awesome tank! Love the cap and clowns. I've seen them do that in another tank, I think it's real neat.

I had a quick question about the h20 changes you do. Looks like 16 or 17% weekly.. thought it sounded like a lot. Curious what your philosophy was regarding that?

I liked the dual skimmer idea too. :thumbsup:

John,
I share some of the same opinions about your ideas on filtration...I love the natural method of filtering, especially the bivalve filters...I have an obsession with growing macro algae for nutrient export...in fact, my 220 in wall runs "NO" protein skimmer...i love the growth of the naturals so much that i acutally had a custom tank made for my refuge/mangrove filter...it is 48x24x12 (seen in url below)...but i do have a question aboutthe grape calupera...mine grew out of control, until the mangroves started to really root out and take off..not the calupera is dying off...keep in mind that i added 120 mangroves at once...I think they died off because the mangroves are using all the nutrients...let me know what you think...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/eb6713/euro011.jpg

BTW...ABSOLUTLY STUNNING TANK...GREAT JOB

ED

A most excellent SPS tank! I love the Monti Caps and Digitata's, they are my most favorite SPS corals as well as a few of the longer polyp Acro's.

Thanks for Sharing.

John,

Ill just ditto everyone else on the compliments! WOW!

I would love to hear more about the Perculas. How long have they been in the tank? Did you have an intended host for them or did you just add them to the system? What are your suggestions on adding a pair to an SPS tank?

Congrats,

ReefWaters

Amazing tank,
i would also like a description to the mods on the eruroreefs.
i was wondering if you Michigan reefers were having a frag swap anytime soon?
thanks
shawn

Inspiring, John. I am amazed at how well you've done with the impression of visual depth (front to back) in what is only 24". I could hope to do so well.

klr

Fantastic, You deserve to be tank of the month.

Question.

I am currently doing a setup and wanted an opinion for circulation.

I was thinking of placing a spray bar behind the live rock which would be on stilts of PVC with egg crate. If I place random holes in small PVC and have water pump just pumping out the holes.

Don't know if I explained this well. I guess a closed loop system in the tank just to get more water movement?

Any suggestions anyone - or links to threads of others that have done this?

Thanks - again great tank.

Bil,

Thanks my friend, 250, 400, 1000, who knows which..

Mikeo,

Thank You, my theory on water canges is this, it seems that every time I ever did a water change, my corals would respond well for a couple of days, so as I started keepind sps, I fifured more would be better, not to mention, I am always afraid of having chemical wars of some type going on in there.....

Eddybabyhd,

Thanks, I believe you may have it nailed, algae can be tricky in my experience, it seems like all is good and them wham, your tank is completly green....But, I like the mangrove idea, been loking at them for a whlile...120 should do a great job on your sysytem.

Rjwilson, Thank You.

Reefwaters,

Thanks, the clowns were in my 90 , when I made the transfer,to the 180, they weere not originaly going in, but after some debate with my wife, here they are, hosting the caps and laying eggs..

Shaw,

Thank You, I am trying to find that thread , Oct. 23'rd, there is a swap, check out the site for info..

Robz, Thank You, your tank is one I have much admiration for also.....

Biodegraded,

Thanks , the 24" is tough to get the look, I would love to try one that was 48"

Krootk22, Thank You

Ballabooyeah,

Thanks,Not sure about the spraybars, I have kind of limited experience with them, I would think you could do a search here and find some useful info...

Beautiful tank John! I love the balance you have created with your aquascaping!

Do you have an ID on this little acro? Very sweet piece!!!

DSC04214.JPG

Is the reason you have one actinic and one daylight supplementation because the 14k Hamiltons are a llittle too blue on their own?

How often do you change your halide bulbs?

What do you feed your corals? Other then the food your fish get?

How did you train your angel to eat Nori? My flame will not touch the clip, maybe because the tangs are too aggresive.

OK, I know that is enough questions, thanks for letting us see your beautiful tank and providing info for us that are still learning some of the basics.

As all have said, Great tanks and congratulations! Can you give me some detail or aim to it for the "Durso PVC pipe" mod for the Euroreef skimmer to eliminate the sponge?
Thanks,
BillO

Back