Tank size opinion

izpowell

i currently a 45 gallon tank up and running, but i want to upgrade so i have a bigger variety of fish to choose from. i am looking around on craigslist to get one used,

i found a 180 gallon drilled tank (not sure what brand) but it is practically brand new. no scratches or anything and it comes with a 40 gallon sump and a stand the guy built (stand isn't finished though, no doors on it) all for $650

then i found this.

a 125 gallon drilled oceanic tank. really good shape and a really nice looking stand. it comes with 72" coralife metal halides, a UV sterilizer, 55 gallon sump underneath by oceanic, and an artica chiller. asking $850 for it

i would really like to have a 180 gallon tank but it seems like the 125 gallon is the better deal considering the equipment it comes with.

HELP ME DECIDE! give me your guys' opinions. i am new to the hobby so im not really sure what to do. any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

IMO, 40gal sump is kinda small for a 180gal DT. Even I though I like big tanks the bigger the better, but with the 180gal deal you will have to invest more time and money. Where as 125gal is pretty much all there. The chiller and MH lights got to be worth a few bucks itself alone.

It also depends on what type of fishes you're going to holding. If it's mostly small to medium 125gal will do, but if you are planing on some large angels and tangs you would want 180gal. If was me I'd go with the 125gal it's much better deal, but if money is no object for you then buy the 180gal get it over and done with.

IMO, 40gal sump is kinda small for a 180gal DT. Even I though I like big tanks the bigger the better, but with the 180gal deal you will have to invest more time and money. Where as 125gal is pretty much all there. The chiller and MH lights got to be worth a few bucks itself alone.

It also depends on what type of fishes you're going to holding. If it's mostly small to medium 125gal will do, but if you are planing on some large angels and tangs you would want 180gal. If was me I'd go with the 125gal it's much better deal, but if money is no object for you then buy the 180gal get it over and done with.

i plan on getting a yellow tang, purple tang, and flame angel. then just a few small fish. if i bought the 180 gallon i was planning on going with LED lighting. even if i got the 125 i was thinking about going with LEDs. so would a chiller be necessary on either tank?

My vote is for the 180. Yes, it will cost a little bit more to operate, but there is very little you won't be able to keep in that tank. Even if it takes awhile to get everything you need for the 180 I think it is the better choice.

it really depends on what you are looking to keep. if want to set up a reef tank i would say the 125 is better deal. but if you are looking to keep sum larger fish then get the 180

If you won't use the MH fixture the 125 comes with, and want to go with LED lighting (which means you won't need the chiller), get the 180g. You can always add in another sump/refugium, or change the 40g sump to a larger one if you feel it's too small, but it should work as-is even if it's a bit on the small side.

Do consider the cost of rock, sand, and coral as well -- a 180g is quite a bit larger, meaning you'll be spending that much more for everything that goes into it. I still think it's worth it though. Oh, and never be afraid to make an offer lower than the asking price; the worst they can say is no.

I have a 125 and I kick myself every day for not getting a 180. The room between the front and back panel is so much deeper on the 180 (25"). The 125 doesn't have enough (18") and it is hard to arrange stuff in there and still keep swimming space in front of the rock/coral work.

Also, if I were starting over again I would ditch the internal overflows and make a coast to coast with a Bean Animal drain. Now your talking real estate :)

You must ask your self a few questions What do I want to keep, How much space do I have and the cost to outfit the tank. As the tank gets bigger so does the cost for equipment, return pumps,powerheads,skimmers, lighting. Also, monthly expenses go up usually for the larger tank. finally do not to forget to factor in the weight of the system can your floor hold that much. You are talking signifcantly more weight from either choice than what you got now. good luck on your choice.

I'm running a 55 gallon sump on a 300 gallon, it works great. Key is to to have a rightly tuned skimmer.

180 is much nicer, it's not so much the extra volume but the dimensions. The 125 is not as wide and IMO hard to arrange your LR to look good. The 180 is 6" wider and does make a big difference

I have a 125 and I kick myself every day for not getting a 180. The room between the front and back panel is so much deeper on the 180 (25"). The 125 doesn't have enough (18") and it is hard to arrange stuff in there and still keep swimming space in front of the rock/coral work.

Also, if I were starting over again I would ditch the internal overflows and make a coast to coast with a Bean Animal drain. Now your talking real estate :)

I have the 125 built into my living room wall with a small bedroom size fish room behind it. I put it in six years ago and used it for African cichlids. Boy was I wrong, the 180 for sure. It will cost you more money but well worth it.
Trust us.

thanks for the advice everyone! i found out that all the bulbs in the MH fixture for the 125 gallon need replaced. so im going to go with the 180 gallon and try to talk him down on the price. i feel its worth it in the long run by saving money not running metal halides and a chiller and going with the LED lights. and plus i will have a bigger tank which means more fish options!

Back