Testing for bacterioplankton?

Also I hear the gyre by maxspect is supposed to do a good job at eliminating all dead spots in the tank. Don't know how true this is I never owned one but I have heard good things from fellow reefers.

I've got two gyres(150/250's) and they do a wonderful job. I'm terrible at trying to figure out powerhead placements and the gyres eliminated that problem easily. I have one horizontal at one end 2" from the top at 100%. The other gyre vertical on the opposite side on the back corner alternating 4 times a day with the lunar cycle running at 100%. Then I have a return pointing in the same direction as the horizontal gyre pushing about 1400gph.

I have a gyre and an mp40. I would have gotten 2 gyres had i known theyre awesome but they do have issues communicating with apex sometimes

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Lol if it's piling up like that I suggest more power heads or more strategic placement of the ones you have. If you keep that junk in suspension it will be eatin or removed by other means of filtration. Skimmer efeciently removes it but it also effecoently removes a lot of beneficial things as well. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that maybe I should run my skimmer half as much. Starting to think 24/7 might not be the way to go anymore. But I can't see going skimmerless completely.

I used to run my skimmer 24/7 but now has been down to 9 hours per day. It runs from midnight till 9am in the morning to aerate the water column.

If you want to do the least impact to your micro fauna you'd want to shut it down at night. That's when the life in the tank really begins. I personally don't believe a skimmer to have any kind of meaningful impact to it. Starving a tank would have a greater impact.

If one is really concerned and still wants to run a skimmer supposedly a venturi injection type skimmer has less impact then a needle wheel. I would imagine an airstone type skimmer to be the least impact. I used to run an airstone skimmer and it did well. Currently running a skimmer with a mazzei venturi injector.

Im wondering if running the skimmer just a few hours a day to "purge" the system would be beneficial. As far as harming the bacteria population this comes back to not being able to test for it. Many people say clean water is more important than food for nps corals. That goes beyond just keeping nitrates and phosphates low does it not. What is the defenition of "clean water" its a little vauge

A skimmer will not significantly impact bacterial or planktonic population.

Get a microscope. Easy to check.

A skimmer will not significantly impact bacterial or planktonic population.

Get a microscope. Easy to check.
Studies have shown skimmers can have a massive impact on bacteria in a column of water in just a few hours, though they seem to stop removing it at a certain point suggesting some strains of bacteria are not removed by skimming. Also microscopes are not cheap at least not the ones that are worth using for bacterial count

My original thought process was that carbon dosing along side skimming would even things out..still dont know if thats true or not

Studies have shown skimmers can have a massive impact on bacteria in a column of water in just a few hours, though they seem to stop removing it at a certain point suggesting some strains of bacteria are not removed by skimming. Also microscopes are not cheap at least not the ones that are worth using for bacterial count

Most of the bacteria you don't want will be in the water column.

Bacteria will grow faster then the skimmer can remove them. Skimmers are not that efficient.

Microscopes that can see bacteria aren't that expensive. Viruses are a different story as they are smaller.

Most of the bacteria you don't want will be in the water column.

Bacteria will grow faster then the skimmer can remove them. Skimmers are not that efficient.
Im no marine biologist but its my personal opinion that high water born bacteria content could be beneficial to many nps coral but specifically sponges and tunicates. Its commonly believed to be a staple of their diet and marine bacteria studies have shown very high levels in places these animals thrive

Dont mean to come across rude i just need more detail on accounts that are controversial to studies i have read performed by marine biologists. Dont mistake my curiosity for disbelief

Im no marine biologist but its my personal opinion that high water born bacteria content could be beneficial to many nps coral but specifically sponges and tunicates. Its commonly believed to be a staple of their diet and marine bacteria studies have shown very high levels in places these animals thrive

Well, using the book mentioned earlier high bacterial counts does not indicate a healthy reef in fact just the opposite.

Most heterotrophs will be in the water column. This would include those that are pathogenic to corals and fish and humans.

And again, a skimmer will not significantly reduce their counts. It will help aerate the water with oxygen the bacteria has consumed.

I am a big fan of carbon dosing especially with vinegar even if mixed with vodka like nopox or what many others like TMZ (person on this forum) has been doing for many years before that product came out. I like the acetic acid as it is a direct food source for many organisms like corals and bacteria.

If you want to feed your sponges do water changes and let your DI get near exhaustion as they will love the silica. The saltmix and water will have plenty in it.

Back