The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Emperor Angel. 8 yrs old, had since a 1" baby.

SPS - safe.
LPS - Will rip to shreds in seconds. He will actually try to bite my fingers to get to any LPS as soon as it hits the water. Tried putting egg crate around them. Didn't work. He would just toss it aside no matter how much I buried the egg crate of weighted it down.

Sub 2" Potters

SPS - Safe
LPS - Safe
Softies- Safe

I have had 3 potters in my reefing career. Two were for 2+ years and the 3rd I currently have had for about 1.5 months. All 3 have been model citizens in mixed reef tanks. They may have nipped here or there, but not enough to cause any damage or decreased PE.

I did have a paracentropyge multifasciata for about 3 months that decimated SPS polyps. He never took to prepared foods, but was fat and happy off of grazing and SPS polyps.

Japanese swallowtail. Reef safe of course. Healthy Petco find
The female did kill the male when it got sick. Sick from BZ.
Daniel. :sad2:

I have an SPS tank

golden angel- nips

majestic- safe
regal- safe
blueline- safe
Genicanthus semifasciatus, 2 females- safe
Genicanthus caudovittatus, 1 male 1 female- safe

Angels I got rid of due to nipping: Flame, Griffis

Have had all 3 for about a year in a mixed reef lps, sps, softies, anemones etc.

Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Bi Color

I have spotted very periodic nips but not 100% sure it's for the coral or something on the corals. I lean toward something on the coral as nothing has been impacted. They nip at all surfaces all the time.

However, the bi color is not Male Matted Filefish safe. lol

The bi-color is always nipping at the small bristles and really frustrates the heck out of him. I assume it thinks they are some kind of pod it likes to eat.

I currently have a small Potters, small Dwarf Golden, and a swallowtail. I've had all three for about 4 months with no noticeable nipping. My tank is predominantly SPS but does have some Zoas and a few fleshy LPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a coral beauty and bi color angel and both have not picked on my corals or clams.They are fed three times a day.

In my old 50 breeder I had a coral beauty for a year and a half, never picked at anything - fed one time per day frozen mysis.

In my current 73 gallon, I have a flame angel for 4 months, hasn't picked at anything yet, fed frozen mysis once a day and nori from a sheep.

I have lots of softies, lps and polyps. Just started with sps.

Has anyone tabulated or summarized the results of this informal survey by type of angel? If so, I would love a link to the results. Thanks!

Flame angel - 2 years, never nips at anything
Coral beauty - 1 year, never nips at corals but will eat sponges
Potters - had one before and it never bothered corals
Xanthurus yellow tail, or cream angel juvenile - a terror with most soft corals; even tried to eat my toadstool leather; leaves mushrooms and Sinularia alone; don't have SPS but she would probably eat it; yep, she is about to find a new zip code :thumbsup:

Coral beauty:
7 months
Safe with acans, hammers, torch, chalice and montipora. Never nipped then once, but is kept well feed twice a day.

Back