The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

friend had 125 with mostly mushrooms and some other softy's one year they were juveniles 1queen 1 blue no problems at all.

now I have the queen in my 125 sps/lps/ clams and zoas heading towards 4 days no problems yet:p

Eibli angel 3 days was eating my large lps brain he was not reef safe at all.he went back to the store.

I would like to hear what people think caused their angels to be reef safe or not in their opinion. some examples would be getting them young to set feeding habits, putting them in last,or extra feeding and so on .....

all data entered
make sure to check the notes as well...

more or less what i'm trying to do is: if it eats one particular type of coral, like elegance, or anthelia, call it safe but include that in the notes. If it eats a major group of coral (SPS, LPS, soft), its classified as unsafe. Also see that angels living only with certain corals are noted in the notes section. Also nipping with no damage is considered safe.

Attachments

• angelfish project.xls
    33 KB · Views: 0
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15705691#post15705691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
all data entered
make sure to check the notes as well...

more or less what i'm trying to do is: if it eats one particular type of coral, like elegance, or anthelia, call it safe but include that in the notes. If it eats a major group of coral (SPS, LPS, soft), its classified as unsafe. Also see that angels living only with certain corals are noted in the notes section. Also nipping with no damage is considered safe.

Great Work! That is priceless data right there... Still doesn't give a certain answer on a specific species but gives you the odds on whether you are willing to gamble.

Right. The main thing it said to me is they're more often safe than not. When people ask about angels the common response is "it's a gamble, they're 50/50," but it turns out maybe we should be saying "it's a bit of a gamble, they're 80/20."

This is a fabulous idea. I love it. Hope to add my data after awhile. Have to get one yet and then wait awhile to see how it does long term.

Just curious, how often are those of you with 'reef safe' angels feeding. I think if you keep them full then they'd be much less likely to damage/destroy coral, Just MHO

Angel Species: Centropyge argi - Cherub or Pygmy Angel
Tank: 20 gallon (high)
Reef-safeness: Yes
Corals: Mushrooms, zoanthids, sun coral, leather, gorgonian, and red tree hand sponge (not necessarily a coral but it didn't pick)
Feeding Schedule: Twice daily with frozen and pellet

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15714617#post15714617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HndMafia
Just curious, how often are those of you with 'reef safe' angels feeding. I think if you keep them full then they'd be much less likely to damage/destroy coral, Just MHO

I thought that too. I bought a pair of argi angels. The male was fine, the female really tore into my acros and gorgonians. I removed both.

I've had a pair of blackspot swallowtails in my tank for over 2.5 years now. They have never touched a coral, and I have pretty much one of everything :) Only issue was the female learned to pull food out of suncorals, making them impossible to feed.

I feed the tank tons of food.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718482#post15718482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy

I've had a pair of blackspot swallowtails in my tank for over 2.5 years now. They have never touched a coral, and I have pretty much one of everything :) Only issue was the female learned to pull food out of suncorals, making them impossible to feed.

Well you could get a tupperware cup of relevant size, punch holes, weight it down with a small rock and squirt food for the sun coral.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718726#post15718726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Well you could get a tupperware cup of relevant size, punch holes, weight it down with a small rock and squirt food for the sun coral.

Yeah, I could, but I just don't like suncorals that much for the trouble in a 31" tall tank :D

I had a tank that was 26" tall. I'm 5 feet tall so that was a problem even with a step stool.

Great Work! Add mine
135G Tank with LPS, SPS, Clams, zoas, Soft.
two angles In the Tank: Flame and Coral Beauty. Safe with all corals and clams. Have one for about 9 month. another 5 month.

75 gallon mixed reef tank, containing soft corals, LPS, and SPS corals. I had one flame angel, for over a year, never picked at any coral. I got lucky I guess.:D

220G. mixed soft,LPS,SPS coral beauty for 5yrs.

Hasn't bothered anything except xenia, it makes me laugh, I hate those weeds!

Flame angel in 30 G for a month was picking at acans but left everything else alone.

Goldflake keepers: I am looking to add a goldflake or a bellus to my 120 but I only have time to feed mysis and nori once a day. Yes I have a mixed reef with clams. Is it worth the risk? Thanks!

1. What kind of angel
Centropyge loriculus

2. Wether it was reef-safe

sort of...

3. If it was not reef-safe, what did it eat?

It only liked sps with big fleshy polyps (like a "candle light" acropora), it would not look at anything else (i have it in with acans, blastos, pavona, monti caps, leathers, shrooms, rics, zoas/palys). Even then, i dont know if it was damaging the coral, it picked at one coral for a few days. When i removed the coral and put it into a different system it was fine, and i could not see any damage...?

Back