The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Flame Angel(only had for a few weeks, died early)
Reef Safe: sps/lps/softies
nothing

Coral Beauty
Non reef safe
Ate xenia, gsp
gave away within days

BiColor Angel
reef safe
lps/softies
died in a month, never ate properly

I havent had luck with angels :(

"Bellus Angels are 100% reef safe"

It is not safe to generalize any fish as such.

What is "reef safe"? Is a fish that does not eat coral considered "reef-safe"?
To some, anything that harms coral is considered not "reef-safe". In this case a very large tang, that breaks sticks is not "reef-safe". A puffer that grinds its teeth on coral is not "reef-safe". And a goby that lays eggs on an SPS coral is not "reef-safe"

Sorry for the rant, but the more I see the words "reef" and "safe" used together, the more I am irritated by it.

"All fish are semi-reef-safe"

~Michael ;)

Michael, not that I totally disagree w/ you, but cut the guy a little slack, it's his first post on RC and Bellus Angels are about as close to being "reef safe" as you're going to get.

If you're going to say all fish are semi reef safe, you might as well say all of them are safe, or all of them are not safe... or don't bother at all since there is no differentiation.

I understand your point though and I think it's better to say: fish have various degrees of suitability for a reef tank. Genicanthus angels have a pretty high degree of suitability in a reef.

Hey Lobster, can you post an .xls file instead of .xlsx? I was curious to see your data but I'm on Office 2003 still. Thanks.

While we are ranting about the term "reef safe", some of my corals attack each other so I guess corals are not reef safe either.

Please guys, you've all been around long enough to know we are dealing in relative terms, even is someone overstates the case from time to time. This whole thread is about compiling everyones experiences to compare the degree of reef safeness of different angels.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15518357#post15518357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jacob D
Hey Lobster, can you post an .xls file instead of .xlsx? I was curious to see your data but I'm on Office 2003 still. Thanks.

How would I go about doing that? I'm really not a computer person, I just saved it and then uploaded it. I'm using Office 2008 for Mac if that makes a difference.

Gonna take a guess... when you use "save as" look near the bottom of the window that opens. There should be a drop down box that says something like "save as type" and if you hit the drop down arrow you will see something like "Office 2003 .xls" in the list. A .csv file would work also.

maybe this will work for the .xls?

EDIT: did it as you were typing - yup thats what I did, let me know if that works.

Attachments

• angelfish project 1.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
Male female pair bellus
Have lps/sps/clams/zoos

Within 1 week the female was chomping my zoos/palys. Sold them shortlythereafter

Emperor Angel - 2 years: Somewhat reef safe. It would gorge on certain lps, such as Blasto's and Acan's.

Regal Angel - 2 years: Completely Reef Safe.

Potters Angel - 2 years: Completely Reef Safe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15521319#post15521319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dooly
Male female pair bellus
Have lps/sps/clams/zoos

Within 1 week the female was chomping my zoos/palys. Sold them shortlythereafter

I had the same problem with my female bellus. My zoos were closed the entire time she was in the tank (I witnessed her picking at them)

Re: The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Re: The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

1. c. argi/pygmy angel kept with zoas, softies, lps,sps. no clams
2. mostly reef safe...he doesnt cause any real harm
3. he has pecks a kenya tree and finger leather frequently while they were shedding, and a birdsnest and zoas occasionally. He has never caused any real visible damage or irritated a coral to death.

2 Multicolor; one safe, one not safe with acanth
1 Joculator; safe with LPS and SPS
Pair Bellus; safe with LPS and SPS

Back