The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Here are my experiences with angels and corals.

Passer- 4 years safe with polyps, shrooms.

Halfblack (dwarf)- 3 years safe with polyps, shrooms.

Asfur- 3+ years safe with leathers, shrooms, polyps. Devoured a frag of frogspawn in minutes.

Genicanthus (Blackspot pair)- 1+ year safe with leathers, shrooms, polyps.

Coral Beauty- 2 years safe with leathers, shrooms, polyps.

Flagfin- 2 years safe with SPS.

Blueface- 1 1/2 years safe with SPS.

Majestic- 1 1/2 years safe with SPS, polyps.

Back in the day all of my tanks were FO so a lot of my experience with angels has not included keeping them with corals. Of the angels I have kept in the last 20 years or so only the asfur ate a coral (LPS) and that fish never touched anything else. No other angel I have kept in a reef has so much as nipped anything. Maybe I have just been lucky but my experiences with angels and corals has been very positive. I do keep my fish well fed and my systems always provide lots of grazing opportunities.

Coral Beauty 1 year: Has touched nothing
Flame 7 months: Also touched nothing but picks at the rocks alot more than the CB

My tank has Zoos, shrooms, LPS, glove polyps.

Regal 5 years: SPS safe only.

Centropyge: Tried most of the common ones with SPS. They all seems to start nipping after 6 months to a year. The nipping was harmless. I just like my PE.

Cherub Pygmy (c. argi) - 1yr in my 29g - reef safe* LPS, SPS, Zoas and Clam

Lps- chalices, favias, dendros, wellsophylia, frogspawn, bubble, duncans, acans, micromussa, cyphastrea, candy canes
Sps- montis, digis, acros
clam- crocea

*a nip every now and then when feeding the tank but mostly to get the food, never caused any damage to any coral.

Regal angel in a 125G SPS reef with a few gonioporas for ~ 4 years. No problems. Does eat zoas and xenia though.

Juvenile Emperor & Flame Angel ---
Mine are safe with Softies & Frogspawn LPS, but the Juvenile Emperor has eaten Zoanthids.

1. What kind of angel
2. Wether it was reef-safe
3. If it was not reef-safe, what did it eat?

Here's mine:

1. P. Imperator (emperor) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Almost Reef Safe; 3. Two years and counting - Went for the Kenya tree but it also eats aiptasia.

1. P. Diacanthus (regal angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - 8 months and counting

1. G. melanospilos (blackspot angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - two years and counting

1. C. mesoleucus (vermiculated angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - two years and counting

1. C. vroliki (pearl-scaled dwarf angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - two years and counting

1. C. tibicen (keyhole dwarf angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - two years and counting

1. C. ferrugatus (rusty dwarf angel) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Almost Reef Safe; 3. Went for the Kenya tree but no real damage - two years and counting

1. A trio of C. heraldi (false lemonpeel dwarf angels) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Almost Reef Safe; 3. Went for the Kenya tree but no real damage - two years and counting

1. A trio of C. bispinosus (coral beauty dwarf angels) w/ Softies, LPS, Zoas & Macroalga; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - two years and counting

Softies = Leathers, Kenya Tree, Anemone, Mushrooms & Ricordea
LPS = Favites/Favia & Galaxea
Zoas = Different colors
Macroalga = Gracilaria, Red ulva

Rusty angel and has been model citizen. Has not nipped at lps,sps, or clam, zoos or anything but algae.

I can't search for it - but it's titled the same thing, it's just in the Reef Discussion forum. Most of the details are included in the spreadsheet.

All my angels seem to be great with sps, leathers, mushrooms and I do have a large squamosa clam that was there before any angel. They don't bother it, but have any new one. Also they seem to checked out a new coral but after a couples of days they pay no attention to it.

My angels include
1 french grown from a 1 inch juv to a 8 inch adult
1 Emperor grown from a 1 inch juv to a 7 inch adult
1 flagfin
1 Magjestic
1 singapore

Alll have been in my tank for over 3 years.

I know zoo/polyps and lps are a no no in my tank.

I also had a juv queen that grew from 1/2 inch to a 3 inch in transition for about a year and she touched nothing, sadly lost her to a nasty crab that is now gone.
In the past I had a flame and a coral beauty in a past tank that nipped at all corals.

Back