The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eldredge, you're not the only one- I haven't gotten a response to my question for quite some time now.

Last edited:
The point isnt the break in or dialing it in, its the fact that I believe there is something in the silencer that is blocking the air. The skimmer is working great right now with a ball valve on it with great bubbles...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14693872#post14693872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r-balljunkie
the silencer fits 2 ways, one way is on center, one is off center.

let the skimmer break in, use the silencer.

be patient, and dial it in, when you have had it running a week or 2.

c

Chris answered my question on the Nuocean forum on their website and said that all of the BM-100 shipped after January 1, 2009 are version 2. He said the only difference is the impeller. He posted a picture of the impeller in a response to my question on the forum on their web site.

The real bummer is that I broke the ceramic shaft taking the cover off to see which impeller I had! I guess it's just not my day.

As far as first impressions go, the skimmer looks real nice, and the pump is quite heavy. I'll post anything else that seems note-worthy.

Okay, I have hit another snag that some of you may have already solved. The outlet screw that goes through the bottom of the bubble diffuser canister seems to be too short. It will screw into the pump just fine by itself, but when I put it through the bottom plate of the diffuser it doesn't reach the threads in the pump. I don't see a coupler/extender anywhere, and I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thought I would post an update. Chris at Nuocean is sending me a new ceramic shaft - I really appreciate his help. Do you think it would be safe to run the pump with a broken shaft until the new one arrives?

Also, I was able to get the outlet screw to work by removing the o-ring. There was no way I could get it to work with the o-ring on. I don't see any reason it needs to be sealed, so I am hoping it will function properly without it.

If anyone has an opinion - or better yet, experience - about wheather it would be safe to run the pump with a broken shaft, please let me know. Thanks.

Even if it will run, moving water and air; I doubt it would run very long with the shaft broken... It also might cause more damage to the pump volute or impeller wheel.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14697147#post14697147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaskiles
Even if it will run, moving water and air; I doubt it would run very long with the shaft broken... It also might cause more damage to the pump volute or impeller wheel.

Thanks kaskiles. Chris responded to my inquiry to him and said not to run it too, so I will be waiting for the new shaft.

He also said that removing the o-ring on the outlet screw wouldn't be a problem (in case anyone else has the same problem I did).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14676963#post14676963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geno7
Does anyone know how to install the mesh wheel from fish-street?
i did a mesh mod on a wheel that i had that broke, i took off all the pins except for 4 then put on 3 layers of mesh and zip tied it into place, i let the 4 pins as an ancor, after i month i swiched back to the needle wheel as i thought that i actually got better skim and less finiky with it.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14642127#post14642127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eagleONE
Just out of curiosity, how many people have the BM100 longer than 4-5 months without any problems?
i have had mine running since oct 30, the original needle wheel broke in half at my friends place while he was using it befor i had my system ready but since i have been using it(bm100v1) i have had ZERO problems at all!!!! so right now im a few day shy of 5 months with it...oh ya i bought it used, and i dont know for sure how long it was used befor me.

not that it needs it and i am extemely happy wit hit performance but are there any other mods besides the mesh that can be done to improve it? mine is about 8 1/2" deep in my sump, wish i could raise my baffles some how to see what difference it would make.

i keep the water line inside the skimmer almost at the top red ring on the skimmer body, does that seem where everyone else is running theirs at?

I've bought and used my BM100 for 2 weeks and the pump makes very loud noise. It was quiet for the first 2 days then started making loud buzzing noise, they sent me the new impeller but it didn't help, the noise is from the bump as I took the bump out and ran it in the bucket and heard the same noise. Since yesterday it added the squeezy noise (like train braking) so I wonder how it'll turn out 2 months from now. I bought this to replace my old skimmer because someone mentioned it was quiet.

Very frustrated now, I don't know what to do. Replace the pump (what pump?)? or replace with different kind of skimmer (which one?) or leave the way it is and suffer the noise (very likely it will ruin my hobby and end up to get out when it reaches the peak of suffering)?

Any other noise sources from my tank become very quiet as long as I plug in my BM100.

Any suggestion?

Are you sure you fully seated the impeller on the magnet frame? It should not easily pull off. I'd call Chris and see if he can walk you through troubleshooting the pump and impeller. It should not be making weird noises, just a normal slight pump hum.

I think I did. I replaced the end rubber and carefully put things in their place. The impeller is hard to pull out, I used string wrap around its neck and pull out. Think more about it, there must be a reason for BM higher model they use Aquabee pump instead of atman for alot more $$ in comparison, atman pump may be known for troublesome.

I am looking at getting a magus for my 120 i am building, i am having a hard time deciding between the BM150, BM160, or even the BM250s If i can find someone selling a used one that may just make up my mind. So if you all see one for sale let me know. If it were you what would you out on a 120 mixed reef

My thinking is to get the biggest skimmer I can afford so there is no problems with how much you feed. It will keep the water clean no matter your feeding schedule.

Bigger is better.

well it's been over a week now with my new bm100 I'm very happy with it so far you really get alot of bang for your buck with this skimmer.

I'll be going to goldfish street in Hong Kong next month to look for the BM skimmers. Does anyone now if it's any cheaper than the websites? I wonder if they have the pumps in 110v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back