The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright so I'm looking at buying a Bubble-Magus BM100 v2 Skimmer(115V 60Hz) from Nuocean. 115V 60Hz will this work in American outlets?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14847310#post14847310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmsf7
I'll be going to goldfish street in Hong Kong next month to look for the BM skimmers. Does anyone now if it's any cheaper than the websites? I wonder if they have the pumps in 110v.

you can buy a cheapo inverter from international appliace store. i ran a Iwaki, japanese pump for years this way, no issues.

35 bux.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14847310#post14847310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmsf7
I'll be going to goldfish street in Hong Kong next month to look for the BM skimmers. Does anyone now if it's any cheaper than the websites? I wonder if they have the pumps in 110v.

Great Barrier Reef has them, down the harbour side of the street. I got mine cheaper than I've seen on ebay but they are all 220V 50Hz.

Last edited:
I have a BM150 and am getting a calcium buildup inside the venturi that slowly blocks the air inlet. Has anyone had this problem and know of any way to fix it?

I have a BM150 and am getting a calcium buildup inside the venturi that slowly blocks the air inlet. Has anyone had this problem and know of any way to fix it?

The only time this happens for me is if my calcium is extremely high. >500

alright so I'm looking at buying a Bubble-Magus BM100 v2 Skimmer(115V 60Hz) from Nuocean. 115V 60Hz will this work in American outlets?

YES... Nuocean deals with "Americanized" versions of the Bubble Magus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14868691#post14868691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmsf7
You mind telling me how much you got it for at that store?
It may be salt build-up. You may need to rinse it in vinegar or fresh water. Regarding converters...would a simple adapter like this one work http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PB36
I currently use them in the US for cell phones from Hong Kong.

I paid ~AU$200, thats about US$140 at current exchange rates but it was a while ago. Im going back there next Friday and can check if you like. I'm getting a spare pin wheel for the AquaBee 2000i, there a bit pricey at HK$300 but I haven't seen them else where.

A plug adapter may be needed but you need a voltage converter like r-balljunkie posted, 220V -->110V. I have had problems running magdrive pumps at differnt Hz. We tried to run 240V 50Hz bumps unsuccessfully in Tahiti that is 240V 60Hz. The Hz was a problem. Hongkong is 220V 50Hz, US is 110V 60Hz. It may be easier just to exchange the pump with 110V 60Hz version of the AquaBee 2000i.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14869146#post14869146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by x2uranium
The only time this happens for me is if my calcium is extremely high. >500

I thought of this, I'm currently sitting on 430mg/L but it may pay to test my Ca test kit does anyone have a recipe for a reference solution using anhydrous CaCl2 (dow's peladow)?

The blockages clears easily buy pushing a wooden skewer in and out a few times but I would rather it not block as the performance slowly drops. I might have a go at drilling it out a bit.

Having problems with adjusting waterlevel in bm150 skimmer. Just had it for a week. When I turn the outlet pipe to reduce the flow, the foam in the skimmer neck collapses instead of getting higher as it did on my previous bm100. Also if the waterlevel outside the skimmer gets higher, the foam collapses.
What are your recomandations on how deep to put the skimmer in water, and how much do you reduce the flow with the pipe? I currently have the skimmer sitting in 29cm (11.5 inches) and have tried the outlet pipe from completely open to halfway closed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14876259#post14876259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nick122147
Having problems with adjusting waterlevel in bm150 skimmer. Just had it for a week. When I turn the outlet pipe to reduce the flow, the foam in the skimmer neck collapses instead of getting higher as it did on my previous bm100. Also if the waterlevel outside the skimmer gets higher, the foam collapses.
What are your recomandations on how deep to put the skimmer in water, and how much do you reduce the flow with the pipe? I currently have the skimmer sitting in 29cm (11.5 inches) and have tried the outlet pipe from completely open to halfway closed.

Sounded like the water in your sump where the skimmer sits in isn't stable with skimmer dialing, the fluctuation in water would cause the skimmate to collapse, watch out the sump water level and the skimmer outtake pressure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14876593#post14876593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r-balljunkie
put your skimmer on a platform. 11.5" seems kinda high

11.5" is within the spec (upto 13"), it seems to recommend for higher side of water level so should be able to dial in with 11.5" of water I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back