The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks great plankton..

the body looks milky...hows the noise level...

i wonder if theres a threaded plug that will fit on the JG elbow..
maybe a JG plug or a 1/4" pvc plug? i doubt i will use the drain on the cup...and that elbow and valve just seems to be in the way

It's very quiet. There is a slight low pitched hum about it but I think it has something to do with the way the pump slips over the mounting bracket on the bottom. It's not the tightest fit, so that's the only thing I can think of that would cause it.

Not sure about the additional plugs for the drain. I'm not using mine at the moment - no real desire to. I'd rather remove the cup and clean the neck and cup to keep performance at it's peak. I think drain lines are for the lazy and since you get build-up in the neck, performance slows.

The pic of the drain line looks bad, but it comes pre-assembled on the cup with the valve and tubing, so I just wrapped the tubing around the skimmer body to keep it out of the way. It's not obtrusive or anything.

When I was taking the pics, I disconnected the silencer from the tubing and there was no difference in noise, but when I went to re-connect it I accidentally covered the air opening at the top of the silencer with my finger and there's a definite suction going on.

I don't think this is anywhere near broken in yet, but after less than 24 hrs later, it's pulling foam, has a nice head and is skimming very well IMO. I'd recommend it. I mean for $150 shipped, it's worth it IMO.

Here it is as of first thing this morning. 2-1/2 days after initial start-up:

IMG_2083.jpg

when i looked on e bay the description said it ran on 220v 240v not suitable for US 110v did u have this problem?

I am also a new member of the bubble-Magus club. I received the BM150 last Thursday and I am impressed overall. It's well built and feels solid. It took me about 20 mins to assemble, do a quick rinse and placed in my sump. It is extremely quite with lots of fine bubbles in the cylinder. Although they suggested water level is around 10 inches my BM150 is sitting in 8 inches and to my surprise I has skimmate within 8 hrs. All in all I believe it's a very good purchase for the price.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15226627#post15226627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gman107
when i looked on e bay the description said it ran on 220v 240v not suitable for US 110v did u have this problem?

Chris @ nuocean sell the north American version of the bubble magus. Great service :)

I recently bought the NAC6. The design and price got the best if my curiosity. :lol:

I put it in a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump and it has been running a little over a week.

Pros:
Great price
Good construction
Small foot print
Quiet but not silent
Easy to disassemble
Spare impeller
Does the job

Cons:
It needs at least 9" of water and works best in 12"-13"
Skimmer needed to be removed from sump and disassembled to clean the pump.
Not as well constructed as many other skimmers
Drain line for the cup should have a plug for people that do not use it.
There is a little too much turbulence in the reaction chamber

My two biggest complaints are the amount of turbulence in the reaction chamber and the need for a deep sump. I am limited to a 12" sump and I can not get the best efficiency out of the skimmer unless the sump is completely full. That wont work for me since I use the sump as an overflow in case of power failure. If the water level in the sump is low the reaction chamber will not fill with bubbles like it should. Most of the bubbles will be in the top 25% of the reaction chamber. Once the water lever exceeds 9" the reaction chamber starts to fill with a nice milky froth.

I use a EuroReef in my larger tank and feel it is a better skimmer. However, there is a big difference in price. For the money this is a good skimmer that will work on most smaller systems.

It is hard to find a skimmer for $138 that works and this one fills that need.

looks like these skimmers do need a deep sump then....
but now we gotta trial and error the new NAC6 skimmers with the larger neck and mesh wheel so those few upgrades might make a difference...i wonder if it actually pulls 500lph of air!
maybe the output pipes design is the problem...possibly change it to where the Tee is higher up like the vertex or octopus skimmers so that the water level inside the skimmer is higher from the start.

im building up a 20g with a custom sump/fuge...and i havent found any decent skimmers for a small tank so im gonna give the NAC6 a try...and 138$ aint too shabby neither...i figure even if its not running at its best water level...its still more than enough for a 20g mixed reef....im looking to have 9" baffle for the skimmer and i have 24" height in the cabinet to play with.

plankton ...whats the water level in your sump...

Last edited:
Mine's running in about 10" of water but I've got plenty of extra height in my sump to allow for another couple inches - even in case of a power outage so I may try raising the level to around 12" to see what happens. If it produces better, than great - I'm already completely satisfied with this purchase.

Too lazy to take a pic this morning, but the skimmate is to the top of the sticker on the cup. I'm gonna try the drain for the first time today as I've heard some bad things about how well it works.

I am going to set up a new 150g in couple months and i am so attempted to try out the BM200E Skimmer.

Has anyone used it before? Any reviews?

Thanks

ok! i have mine in the sump and turned on.....its really quiet IMO..just a barely noticeable hum...same as my eheim return pump...

but the foam/water is only about 1" from the bottom of the red ring...and i have the skimmer's drain set on #3..
i know ill need to give it a few weeks to fully break in...but i have other skimmers and the water is usually more higher than what it is at now....ill get a pic later tonight...

moondoggy....i read somewhere that it works pretty well...but cant remember where i seen the thread...try googling it...

and heres a pic of the water level in my skimmer...

DSC_0759.jpg

hmmm... when mine's set to 3, the break line is in the neck right below the cup. Check your wedge pipe for any burrs or even if it's in all the way. I heard some people had some problems with it seating correctly.

You may have to call Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back