the deadliest parameter

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898404#post12898404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ToxicPoison

Quick question, what is the preferred salinity for a fresh QT tank (Not treating fish that already sick, but rather new inhabitants).
I've heard keeping the salinity lower (1.010 or so) helps prevent disease breakouts.

Any thoughts on this? I'm sure you'd have to do another acclimation after QT.

Thanks folks!

I QT my corals and fish at 1.026, the same I keep my displays at.

I would use a hyposalinity treatment in the QT if there was a problem with disease. I don't usually use prophylactic treatments unless it is a species that is highly prone to parasites in which case I will treat by gut loading artemia with pancur.

HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12900446#post12900446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62

My respond........

One thing that people need to remember....There are a lot of refractometers out there that are made for other things.

Such as anti-freeze....AND they are being sold everywhere....Like Ebay....

If you buy a good Refractormeter...made for Saltwater..... From a someone like Aquacave......a Sybon meter is only $49.95.

Its made for Saltwater & using the PinPoint to calibrate it at 35 ppt / 1.026.......You will be dead on.....

Well, thats all and fine, but it doesnt really answer the question.

The meter is made for saltwater.
CP2113_1.jpg

The Captive Purity Refractometer is an incredibly accurate and easy to use device that eliminates the confusion associated with inexpensive hydrometers. Just place a couple of drops of water on the prism and hold to the light. Reads in percent and specific gravity. An absolute must for the serious marine hobbyist.

The Captive Purity Refractometer is an optical device (no batteries) dual scaled 0-100% specific gravity: 1.0 to 1.070. Calibrate with distilled water. Adjustable eyepiece, carrying case, pipette included. This model is ATC (automatic temperature compensating).

This Captive Purity Refractometer has additional features including:

* No Screwdriver Needed for Calibration
* Heavy Duty Hinge Pin Design

Im not afraid of spending money on this hobby,(notice I didnt buy the cheapest one out there;) ) so will buy the solution if I really need it, but the part of me that needs details and logic needs to know why deviate from the manufacturer's directions?

Surely this has come up before.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12901952#post12901952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltee dood
Well, thats all and fine, but it doesnt really answer the question.

The meter is made for saltwater.
CP2113_1.jpg

Im not afraid of spending money on this hobby,(notice I didnt buy the cheapest one out there;) ) so will buy the solution if I really need it, but the part of me that needs details and logic needs to know why deviate from the manufacturer's directions?

Surely this has come up before.....

Sure it has come up before and not just in reef keeping, but in alot of hobbies. Alot of times the people working for manufacturers of products are no where near as experineced as the people using and tweaking there products.
I was into computers since 1990--never really relied on microsoft or intel to solve any problems I had

When it comes to anything salty--my money is on Billybeau here

well maybe not potato chips---I don`t know if he even eats them-and before or after he washes his hands after his salt experiments:lol:

Ok, one more try and Ill quit derailing this thread.

I get the idea that the manufacturers aren't all-knowing, but these are scientific instruments....surely they didnt just make up their instructions out of the blue.....did they?

I do hope yall will excuse me if Im a little persistent, Im kinda OCD when it comes to answers to things that dont make logical sense to me.

From what I can tell at this point, the distilled water calibration is intended for zeroing out the null line, why is that method inferior to calibrating to the 1.026(35ppm) mark on the meter with a saline solution?

Sorry for being difficult, obviously this is just something that is taken as a given to the reef veterans...but as a noob, I dont get it.

Saltee dood,

Think of it this way.. The purpose of a refractometer in this hobby is to measure the salinity of water. So why would you want to calibrate it using fresh water? It makes more since to calibrate using the exact same thing you want to measure, in this case, salt water at a known salinity.

The manufacturers reccomend using distilled water, because they have faith in their products, but as an aquarist it is up to you to be certain everything is 100% correct. The only way to 100% verify that your refractometer can measure water at a certain salinity is to use a test fluid of a known salinity. If you want your aquarium salinity to be exactly 35PPT, does it make more since to calibrate with fluid that is 35 ppt or 0 ppt? Many people choose to use the pinpoint brand fluid. That's all.

Back