The decline of species in are hobby who is to blame. A discussion, not a blaming gam

I think a lot of us may be having a hard time grasping your meaning...I'm still trying to figure out who it would be that would regulate collection permits per species. ;) Since that would be flat out impossible and all. :)

A guy out of BC Canada was fined $50 000 plus 3 years in jail for importing protected corals and importing without permits from the USA and exporting to the USA others without proper papers .

Now the US wants him to stand trial in the state of Washington for the same reason extradition is on the way, made the papers here.

The total value was $300 000 worth of stuff. Happened this year. There're regulation and permits on species and protected animals .

The banggai cardinalfish will soo be put on the endangered species and wont be wild caught which is about time we have such a success breeding it in captivity.

I didn't say caught at 6000 meters either in my quote i said we don't need species that lives at 6000m meaning we're not equiped to care for them. Sorry you seem to have a hard time to grasp my meaning here.

The point being we have other thing to put in are tanks that are surface dwellers, not from the depts like those things i was talking about. And that are somehow put in the trade for a death sentence basicaly.

You need to choose a better argument. The problem with keeping Nautilus is not that they live in the depths during the daylight hours, but that they need chilled systems. They actually do quite well in aquariums, if you set them up right, the biggest secret to success being a chiller to keep them at the appropriate temperatures. The depth argument is irrelevant.

The feather stars in the trade not being from the depths, also makes the depth argument irrelevant. Now if you want to talk about the difficulties in feeding them, then you have a good argument for not collecting them and selling to the aquarium trade ;) The trick is picking the reason for the argument, not presenting an irrelevant (and sometimes completely wrong) one ;)

From an emotional point of view, it is certainly bad to collect species for captivity that stand little to no chance of survival. From a fisheries management standpoint, whether the critters live or die in captivity is irrelevant, as once collected they are as good as dead to the ecosystem they were removed from. Comes down to practical fisheries management and sustainable yield. Something that is poorly studied and often poorly regulated in many places when it comes to the aquarium trade. Not so well done with with well studied food fish fisheries either.

There are no permits for collecting endangered or protected animals for the aquarium trade. I am pretty confident that's a fact. :)

You need to choose a better argument. The problem with keeping Nautilus is not that they live in the depths during the daylight hours, but that they need chilled systems. They actually do quite well in aquariums, if you set them up right, the biggest secret to success being a chiller to keep them at the appropriate temperatures. The depth argument is irrelevant.

The feather stars in the trade not being from the depths, also makes the depth argument irrelevant. Now if you want to talk about the difficulties in feeding them, then you have a good argument for not collecting them and selling to the aquarium trade ;) The trick is picking the reason for the argument, not presenting an irrelevant (and sometimes completely wrong) one ;)

From an emotional point of view, it is certainly bad to collect species for captivity that stand little to no chance of survival. From a fisheries management standpoint, whether the critters live or die in captivity is irrelevant, as once collected they are as good as dead to the ecosystem they were removed from. Comes down to practical fisheries management and sustainable yield. Something that is poorly studied and often poorly regulated in many places when it comes to the aquarium trade. Not so well done with with well studied food fish fisheries either.

It wasn't about the dept either..... boy when you stick to every single words of a phrase of someone's thread or post man, it was a broad statement in a context of shallow versus depts species.......Geeezzzzz

And you seem to be looking to create an argument.

giphy%202.gif

giphy%2043.gif

LOL. :D

Sooo...yes, true story, there are a lot of different pressures on the reefs these days. I sometimes get a little offended on how much is blamed on aquarists, too...but in the end...do we need to put added pressure on an already delicate system that we profess to love?

Or maybe we could change the way of thinking in the hobby to where it wasn't cool to have a $6,000 fish unless it had been bred in captivity? They proved it was possible if the hobby had enough demand for it with the G. Personatus project this year...and to my delight, the babies were actually pronounced worth MORE than their wild-caught counterparts. Who knew a summer spent egging on a friend on the phone could amount to so much. Go Larry! :)

Anyway, just thought since I was the first to get us off track with my challenge of fictional species specific permits...I should try and get us back on, lol.

It wasn't about the dept either..... boy when you stick to every single words of a phrase of someone's thread or post man, it was a broad statement in a context of shallow versus depts species.......Geeezzzzz

And you seem to be looking to create an argument.

Mudbeaver, I don't think Bill is trying to start an argument. There's nothing wrong with correcting someone. If you're not willing to listen how would you ever learn.

As far as whose to blame, I couldn't agree more. I've made this argument many times that it's in fact the same governments who point to us as the cause of reef decline when in reality they are much more to blame for allowing agriculture, ports and shipping lanes right smack next to or on top of reefs.

We definitely have to be responsible and maintain a sense of self control when we choose our inhabitants. Buying a mundane animal at the LFS because you know that it likely won't survive there is a bad choice too. It's better to let that animal die at the LFS and let them be out of pocket on the cost. Thus, they won't be so stupid to buy that animal again from the wholesaler. The idea that someone is saving that animal is counterproductive because the LFS figures he just sold one, so he'll buy another to sell and make a profit.

Some of the images you shared are, as always, disturbing. Some of the statistics, however, are not true. For example, newspaper and cigarette butts break down very very fast in the ocean. Sometime as quickly as several days to a few weeks. Aluminum cans break down very fast as well and glass bottles are usually broken down to small pieces very quickly as they smash against rocks, etc. Glass is sand after all. Of course, I'm not arguing that it's ok. Garbage is garbage and should be disposed of properly.

Obviously plastic is terrible. There's no doubt it takes an extremely long time for it to break down.

Some of the images you posted are actually beneficial as it appears they're creating artificial reefs. For example, dropping concrete and the bicycle rack. Artificial reefs have had a positive impact around the world and in my area of Tampa Bay. I wish our government would create more of them.

As far as oil drilling goes, we're actually really good at it. Of course the problem is when it goes bad, it's catastrophic. However, we can look at the BP oil spill and note that the lack of safeguards and uninspected faulty equipment were to blame. Which again the responsibility falls on the government. That's no excuse though and there's no doubt in my mind that the oil rigs need to be over inspected as one mishap can be absolutely terrible. As we've seen first hand. That been said, the Earth itself releases far more oil in to the ocean than we could only imagine pulling out by drilling.

Nevertheless, I applaud your efforts to make important points and be vocal about the issues facing our beloved reefs and oceans. And I'll play the blame game... Governments are the real threat to reefs and oceans. They've just been really good at selling the public on bogus information like hobbyist are raping reefs, global warming and ocean acidification are killing the reefs. We know the latter two are bs, as corals and fish adapt very well to warmer/fluctuating temperatures and depressed ph from the high levels of CO2 in our systems. And ultimately I don't believe the global warming bs anyways as the government has showed their cards in that they simply want to create a tax and distribute that money to less fortunate nations. At least truthful science is beating these bogus statements back and the truth is being made public.

Last edited:
Mudbeaver, I don't think Bill is trying to start an argument. There's nothing wrong with correcting someone. If you're not willing to listen how would you ever learn.

As far as whose to blame, I couldn't agree more. I've made this argument many times that it's in fact the same governments who point to us as the cause of reef decline when in reality they are much more to blame for allowing agriculture, ports and shipping lanes right smack next to or on top of reefs.

We definitely have to be responsible and maintain a sense of self control when we choose our inhabitants. Buying a mundane animal at the LFS because you know that it likely won't survive there is a bad choice too. It's better to let that animal die at the LFS and let them be out of pocket on the cost. Thus, they won't be so stupid to buy that animal again from the wholesaler. The idea that someone is saving that animal is counterproductive because the LFS figures he just sold one, so he'll buy another to sell and make a profit.

Some of the images you shared are, as always, disturbing. Some of the statistics, however, are not true. For example, newspaper and cigarette butts break down very very fast in the ocean. Sometime as quickly as several days to a few weeks. Aluminum cans break down very fast as well and glass bottles are usually broken down to small pieces very quickly as they smash against rocks, etc. Glass is sand after all. Of course, I'm not arguing that it's ok. Garbage is garbage and should be disposed of properly.

Obviously plastic is terrible. There's no doubt it takes an extremely long time for it to break down.

Some of the images you posted are actually beneficial as it appears they're creating artificial reefs. For example, dropping concrete and the bicycle rack. Artificial reefs have had a positive impact around the world and in my area of Tampa Bay. I wish our government would create more of them.

As far as oil drilling goes, we're actually really good at it. Of course the problem is when it goes bad, it's catastrophic. However, we can look at the BP oil spill and note that the lack of safeguards and uninspected faulty equipment were to blame. Which again the responsibility falls on the government. That's no excuse though and there's no doubt in my mind that the oil rigs need to be over inspected as one mishap can be absolutely terrible. As we've seen first hand. That been said, the Earth itself releases far more oil in to the ocean than we could only imagine pulling out by drilling.

Nevertheless, I applaud your efforts to make important points and be vocal about the issues facing our beloved reefs and oceans. And I'll play the blame game... Governments are the real threat to reefs and oceans. They've just been really good at selling the public on bogus information like hobbyist are raping reefs, global warming and ocean acidification are killing the reefs. We know the latter two are bs, as corals and fish adapt very well to warmer/fluctuating temperatures and depressed ph from the high levels of CO2 in our systems.

Thanks for your post very good points. And when most of the species we love are gone we, the Aquarist may be the only source of DNA or eggs for repopulation of these species.

We are like the world wide bank of specimen a bit like the Svalbard Global Seed Vault's in Norway where they stored all the seeds of the world in a mountain , in case of a global event and we can reseeds are forest and fields.

As for correcting me i was making a point between getting species that are difficult to care for because some are use to live in totaly different environement, and putting these things on the market was a mistake. But i was nitpicked on for word play; this is exactly the sort of things i'm denouncing in are hobby nitpicking and infighting among ourselves over wordings and trivials while the big corporations get their act together and we can't even agree on the color of an orange.

In any case more restrictions on us is comming but non is going the other way, none on oil companies or offshore drilling, no extra taxes on environment or extra projects from goverments for reefs and studies its all about the oil and reefs are still shrinking faster than growing. Thats a fact. The latest is a canal being built right through through the Great Barrier reef in Autralia for ships.

The reason for my nit picking has completely escaped you. It is simply that if you want people to listen to you, you need to use factual examples to support your argument. When you come up with examples that fictional, people will tend to ignore the rest of what your saying. Basically your example of collecting at 6000 feet is equivalent to pointing at a potato while talking about the orange ;) I'm just trying to get you to use factual and realistic examples that will get people to listen.

There are no permits for collecting endangered or protected animals for the aquarium trade. I am pretty confident that's a fact. :)

That is exactly what CITES is for, and what all stony corals are listed as... protected species... Appendix II - protected

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/what.php

Article II
Fundamental Principles

1. Appendix I shall include all species threatened with extinction which are or may be affected by trade. Trade in specimens of these species must be subject to particularly strict regulation in order not to endanger further their survival and must only be authorized in exceptional circumstances.
2. Appendix II shall include:

(a) all species which although not necessarily now threatened with extinction may become so unless trade in specimens of such species is subject to strict regulation in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival; and

(b) other species which must be subject to regulation in order that trade in specimens of certain species referred to in sub-paragraph (a) of this paragraph may be brought under effective control.
3. Appendix III shall include all species which any Party identifies as being subject to regulation within its jurisdiction for the purpose of preventing or restricting exploitation, and as needing the co-operation of other Parties in the control of trade.

4. The Parties shall not allow trade in specimens of species included in Appendices I, II and III except in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention.
http://cites.org/eng/disc/text.php#II

And yes, CITES permits are per species.

http://checklist.cites.org/#/en/sea...1&scientific_name=Cnidaria&page=1&per_page=20

The reason for my nit picking has completely escaped you. It is simply that if you want people to listen to you, you need to use factual examples to support your argument. When you come up with examples that fictional, people will tend to ignore the rest of what your saying. Basically your example of collecting at 6000 feet is equivalent to pointing at a potato while talking about the orange ;) I'm just trying to get you to use factual and realistic examples that will get people to listen.

What the heck would you know? You some kind of marine biologist or something?

We are like the world wide bank of specimen a bit like the Svalbard Global Seed Vault's

That's a bit of a reach, classifying hobbyist as such. Hobbyists making online purchases based on pretty colors half the time and are far removed from being scientists.

The reason for my nit picking has completely escaped you.

Is there a way to add a like button to RC?

What the heck would you know? You some kind of marine biologist or something?

Thanks for adding levity to the situation.......I think.

Last edited:
"Cites does not issue permits to collect the animals they protect for the aquarium trade. There is no organization that issues collection permits by the species for sale in the hobby."

There...that's what I meant. :)

Not an argument but a question. When importers are caught for importing illegal marine life, who positively Id's the species? When collecting permit is issued does it classify legal marine life Id's?
Just to clarify I grouped importers as anyone involved in collecting, holding and transporting.
Also used marine life to included anything living collected in our hobby.

"Cites does not issue permits to collect the animals they protect for the aquarium trade. There is no organization that issues collection permits by the species for sale in the hobby."

There...that's what I meant. :)

Sure there is. Each country that ships CITES to the US, has an origination that issues the permit authorizes the shipment. Without it, you can not ship CITES animals into a CITES member nation. Without it, you cannot ship any livestock into the US. Pretty much every country has some sort of Bureau/Dept of Fisheries.

have you ever imported or exported marine livestock? It really doesn't sound like it... FWIW I have, and even worked with a village to help with their export docs to the states. All our permits had quotes per species, issued at both the federal and local level.

Not an argument but a question. When importers are caught for importing illegal marine life, who positively Id's the species? When collecting permit is issued does it classify legal marine life Id's?
Just to clarify I grouped importers as anyone involved in collecting, holding and transporting.
Also used marine life to included anything living collected in our hobby.

you made to large of a lump. Exporters ship the livestock into the country, importers take possession. The ID the animals are sent under, is done via the exporter... but here in the US, you as the importer are responsible, so if the exporter double packs/sticks in something else/miss ID's, you're stuck holding the bag so to speak.

Back