The Final build.... 210+ gallons of SPS Domination!

MADtanks

Stix Anyone?
First off I want to thank my friends that have helped me out to get this system up, and runing!!
-SullyG "“ Thanks Gregg for helping out with all this plumbing!
-Frankyriv- Thanks for helping get the tank moved from my old crib to the new!!
-Cato "“ Thanks for holding on to my prized SPS that without you I would have lost for sure!
-All my other friends that came over in the middle of the night when I needed a hand moving somthing
So over the years, i have gone up down up down with systems be it bc of deploying over seas or having to move, blah blah always something coming up! so the longest i was ever able to keep a tank was right around 1.5years and although it was looking great i know there was so much more potential.

Well as luck has it, im 1year from leaving the army finally, and just bought a house in Manchester with a basement. The wife was even kind enough to let me have one of the rooms as "our" fish tank room with a couch. The room has a standard 210G(72X24X29) which is drained down to the basement(all mine!!!) to its nice sump/fuge/frag tank.

Had to put some columns in the basement to hold up the excess weight since i had to put the tank parallel to the joist(2 of them). The other end of the tank is right on the concrete wall so that should be like i have 4 columns with each one hold upward of 18k lbs each I am in the clear.

Equipment: KISS
So i dont want to mess with any crazy dosing, or all kinds of gadgets but i do have the essentials!

Lighting: 120 BL LEDs + 2 60"(80Wea.) T5s
-10k emitters: 54(60* and 80* optics)
-Royal Blue: 60(60* and 80* optics)
-Red - 6(2 on each heatsink with 120* optics)
-Need to order my 2 Reflectors and T5s still...

Frag tank: 250W HQI Phoenix with Lumen Max elite

Flow:
-2 Tunze 6100s for now, and adding a vortech or two at the back wall for that undertow goodness.

Circulation:
-Blackfin 2500(Reeflo pump high pressure) feeds everything(but skimmer)

Temp Control:
-True Temp controller(up to 1000watts) plugged into my Reef keeper(redundancy) 2 Ti 300W elements

Ca/Alk Control:
-AAT Calcium Reactor, with 10lb C02 Tank: controlled by the RK

Other Rx: TLF150's Building my own Reactors to suit the total volume(4" Acrylic tube X 18" Tall)
-Carbon
-Biopellets
-GFO

Top-off
-Tunze Osomolator
-Fresh water top off on a sprinkler timer set to every 4days for an hr via 150GPD BRS RO/DI Unit
Tanks:
-210G display(minimal Rock work)
-20G Refugium (Nothing But Cheato!)
-24G Frag tank(24X24X10)
-50 Breeder(skimmer chamber and return)

As it stands the tank is still Cycling, about 3months now, and I just introduced the frag rack into it so its leeching all kinds of yummy stuff that's feeding the wonderful algae. I initially added about 100G of old tank water and filled the rest with about 150 "“ 175G of new saltwater. My SPS show great PE, and are starting to color up(recovering from the snow storm)

Stocking: Fish:
Initially I had the plan for an Achilles tang first to ensure he was healthy eating, and not being bullied by any other fish. But even after the storm some of my fish have managed to survive and let all the ich go. I found out I had stray voltage from a nano Koralia which I believe was part of the problem to being with but since I took it offline all the fish have recovered(except for my Naso "¦.. RIP)
-5 Bartlets
-Blonde Naso
-Clowns for the kids
-Hippo for the wife
-Scopas tang
-Myestery wraase
-Six line wrasse
-Rabbit fish

Stocking: SPS
-Tyree Purple Monster(it's finally a colony! Thank you cato for saving my life on this one!!)
-Tyree Panope (Thanks Cato!!)
-GARF Bonsai(getting out of its frag phase Thanks Cato again!!)
SPS I need to find:
-Milleporas: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow(Gotta Find them all!)
-ORA goodness: Pearlberry, Cali Tort, O-Tort, Red Planet, Valida, Rosecoes, Chips
-Stags: Green Slimer, Purple Slimer(Cato its your fualt!), Something Blue
-Course there are the Rarities: Shortcake, Pink Lemonade, Blah blah"¦ some others I don't remember their crazy names, but love the way they look.

Others:
-Catos Rose mille(got a baby from him)
-FrogSpawn(have about 12 or so heads(clowns host it))
-Acans
-Rasta zoas, Eagle Eyes, Red People Eaters, AOGs
-Maxima Clam, Deresa, squamosa

Continued..................

Alright so I guess I have bored you guys with too much blah blah blah… Unfortunatley when I moved I misplaced my DSLR and now its no where to be found… im really hoping its in one of my boxes that I am still going through so please bare with me as all these pictures are from my old Nexus One. I promise that When I find my camera I will take better pics(Unless Franky comes over with his beast ;) ;) )

Lets start with the Old: 36X30X18 SPS build... was getting to the point of fragging but not quite there, moved. to new home:
FTSweb.jpg

On to the new:

Here is the stand : My boy SullyG did most of the work, he said drill I said where?
IMG_20110731_174346.jpg

IMG_20110917_001603.jpg

Level!

IMG_20111002_235742.jpg

I painted it though and added the Plywood, then Routed it… now I need to make doors!

The tank:
IMG_20110917_001611.jpg

Clean(well mostly) and needed to be mounted so I can then scrape off the sides
IMG_20111005_215008.jpg

Scraped the sides, and she just needs her doors.
IMG_20111004_205530.jpg

Everyone has one of these shots lol
IMG_20111011_101141.jpg

Got the paint off the sides, plugged the bulk heads(no CL yet still thinking about it) Filled it with R/O, mixed salt, and put in some sand, let it marinate for about 3 weeks with about 50lbs of LR, and voila……..

Last edited:
LED RIG:
IMG_20110810_232039.jpg

Drilling the heatsinks"¦. I like to have the ability to switch LED's in the future better emitters will become available and having the ability to simply unsolder, unscrew and add a new one is key! Or if one goes bad, swap it out! Less mess this way. It takes a bit longer to do but nothing happens fast in this hobby right?
IMG_20110812_224414-1.jpg

One heatsink done
IMG_20110812_220836.jpg

After testing for short I fired it up"¦. Perfect, now I need another eye exam!

IMG_20111207_234644.jpg

Frame, with T5 encaps ready for the Blue+ and reflectors(dual 60"(80W))

IMG_20111014_233732-1.jpg

Test fire!(minus the T5s)
IMG_20111012_235232.jpg

Checking to see if it will be enough"¦. This is only the two outers(again no T5)
IMG_20111016_184423.jpg

I know I know, canopy is not done yet, because the attic will house a motor that will raise the canopy for me via switch next to the light switch.
IMG_20111113_235754.jpg

Algae, yea!!! Signs of progress"¦"¦ the fuzzy guys is bleached white from the stress it endured from the bad weather"¦. Its now neon green with white polyps and encrusting nicely.
IMG_20111218_222706.jpg

All GHA is gone except on one of the return lines, cyano is almost gone had the whole tank slimed, but its going little by little"¦. All part of the process. I now just need to finish figuring out where to get the parts I need to make the motorized lift for the canopy, add the T5s and trim the canopy. You can see some of the frame on top of the canopy because I have yet to fit the light inside the actualy canopy. Its currently resting on top of the canopy so im actually loosing some light to spillage.

BASEMENT!!!
So here is what I was using to mock up what would eventually have a real stand!
IMG_20110804_235628.jpg

All the fittings, sump, Frag tank, Ca Rx, Return pump…..
IMG_20110805_225606.jpg

The Mad Scientist got to work with his plumbing skills(SullyG) he hooked it up nice!
IMG_20110806_000259.jpg

Almost done!!
IMG_20111113_143732.jpg

Fresh…..
IMG_20111113_143825.jpg

Frag tank put to work! Bringing back a Red Plate, and Idaho grape back to life! The stand you see to the left will become short and will eventually be my Quaratine for all new Fish/Coral! (50BDR) with HOB Skimmer of some sort, and another LED rig…. The Frag tanks light(250W HQI) will soon be replaced by the LED’s in the display as well to keep everything consistent.

Well that’s all I have for now, I am going to be looking for my camera now so I can update the thread with real pictures! A lot of these pictures don’t do the colors any justice. I mean Pictures don’t do the tanks justice as it is but the cellphone pics just kill it.

All comments welcome including constructive critisism. Thanks for looking and stay tuned……

Thats a seriously beautiful thing... Incredibly planned, thought out and executed :) i like your style ;) great to see you rebound like this, your system is gonna be awesome my friend... Very interested in your progress, amd following along...

:beer: this deserves a cheers bro...

Thanks buddy, i cant say its been an easy journey... after i sold off most of my SPS, and had very little left at my new house, i decided ok time for more frags, and being the trusting person i am, i ended up getting a ton of awesome frags(well were supposed to become since they didnt look good to begin with) that eventually got me down to only a handful of SPS left. Tons of dipping, and tons of frustration later i am here and in the clear. I hope.... its been a crazy year for a few of us i can say that much, but the future looks bright and so do my lights!!! lol

I appreciate the Cheers!

Thanks Ryan much appreciated.

lol Frank, that does it, I am not re doing the drain in your overflow!!!! Just for that i demand you come over with that Junk DSLR of yours ;)

The bad thing about emails is you can't hear or see sarcasm. So before I get my head ripped off please know I'm just kidding. Madtanks and I go back to the good ol army days where we met. I helped him moved that monster into his house and he is currently rescuing a piece I got from Pallobi on impulse not being ready for it but had to have it(sorry bout that) thanks rich for saving it. Madtanks helped on my 75 gal build as well. Meanwhile reefirs been my secret weapon of informational knowledge and frags love his tank too. Thanks to everyone for everything. Yo Madtanks hurry and put some salt on those French fries so we can get some colonies. Lol

LMAO!!! on the french fries that was hilarious today.... you had my wife dying with that one!

I gave you the credit in the first post for helping me bring it ;) lol but i know its a ton to ready PICS!!! lol

Piece of junk dslr. My camera cost more than my car lol. I'm gonna have to come over and show you just how crappy it is right after Xmas ha ha

Same Here, Gar, im in the middle of deciding on a HY3000 Bubble Blaster Retrofit into my Skimmer(dont think the body is big enough thoug) or get a ReefOcto with the HY3000.... Makes me wish i would never had let go of my BK Mini 200 :(.... Might just sell the BM180CS and go with a bigger body... I am liking the Skimz 201, but the amount of air it pulls in does not look sufficient. It says up to 500G but its only pulling like 700l and change of of air. I think i need more a long the lines of 1300l, to 1500l. But im not expert just going by what I am reading from the skimmer gurus around 500l for each 100G of water. I believe that was for heavy bioload.... and i do plan to keep this tank spotless, with plenty of fish, for that natural SPS Food.

Edit: Whoops meant the 3000 lol...

Last edited:
Looks great Rich!! What size skimmer are you trying to hook up the HY3000 to? I've got the same pump on a 8" skimmer body with a 3" neck and it's a beast. I wouldn't try it on a skimmer body any smaller than that, though. It would probably constantly overflow if the skimmer was any smaller, and even with that skimmer, it took a couple weeks of break-in time before it stopped having overflow problems.

Those LEDs are awesome

Thank you sir :), will look much better when the T5's are inline....

Looks great Rich!! What size skimmer are you trying to hook up the HY3000 to? I've got the same pump on a 8" skimmer body with a 3" neck and it's a beast. I wouldn't try it on a skimmer body any smaller than that, though. It would probably constantly overflow if the skimmer was any smaller, and even with that skimmer, it took a couple weeks of break-in time before it stopped having overflow problems.

Thanks bro! means a lot, the Skimmer body is actually 8" at the base, and the neck is just at 4" and the skimmers total height is around 22" This is all from the measuring tape :). See am thinking of lowering the bubble plate and making one like on the ATB 840, or similar. This way i can get a little more contact time with the micro bubbles in the chamber. What height is your skimmer? your giving me a bit of an itch to order my HY3000 lol

thanks bro!

Just took a couple measurements for ya bro. 8" skimmer and the neck is actually 3.5", not 3". The neck trasition starts at 11" and the total skimmer height is 23.5"

Back