The Final build.... 210+ gallons of SPS Domination!

All I can say is wow!!! What an awesome build and you should be very proud of all your hard work. That is the absolute ideal setup right there and if I ever get a new house that is the way I'm doing it.
GREAT JOB!!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention those lights are very nice too! You need to make a build thread on just those, they are sweet.

Just took a couple measurements for ya bro. 8" skimmer and the neck is actually 3.5", not 3". The neck trasition starts at 11" and the total skimmer height is 23.5"

Thanks, bro looks like maybe the HY300 maybe a bit too much for my skimmer.... I think i might get frustrated with overflowing lol specially since mine is a bit shorter? Maybe i should just get the SRO3000 and sell my BM 180CS

Nice work so far Erick!

Thanks Rob, hopefully it will looks half as good as my old system in a year or two

All I can say is wow!!! What an awesome build and you should be very proud of all your hard work. That is the absolute ideal setup right there and if I ever get a new house that is the way I'm doing it.
GREAT JOB!!!!!

Thank you cssc that means a lot, I would create a build thread on the LED's alone but like these other pictures they were all via cell phone lol so not sure how good they will look.

Does anyone know where I can get a wench to raise, and lower my light? I saw A Reef in the Sky build and he has a nice setup but he also got his setup from China. I am trying to find one locally, his has a remote that he can set presets to so he does not dunk his lighting into the tank lol.

Also doing a bit of Testing tonight almost a baseline for the SPS build so i know where i have to go from here.
Temp:77*
Salinity: 1.025
Amonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: 1pmm maybe .5 i can barely see the hint of pink i even let it sit longer than suggested to see if it would change
Po4: .02
Ca: 470(Ca Rx dialed in.... maybe)
dkh: 7.0 (Yessir that Rx is doing its thing)
Mag: 1100 need to dose that last bottle to boost me up to 1300
Silicate:0
Copper: 0

So far everything looks good, last week the numbers were all over the place, nitrates were still visibly present(more noticeable pink) and what not, but then again maybe the remaining GHA in the frag tank is feeding off of whatever is still present making it undetectable.

Tomorrow im going to try and shoot a quick walk around of the system with my GoPro and see how it comes out. I had planned to buy a glide-cam for it to get some smooth video but I fail. I will attempt to use software stabilization and see what happens.

Video to come.....

Really nice setup. It's as much fun building it right as watching it grow isn't it? I wish I had the option of being able to lift the canopy off by myself, having it at the flip off a switch is even better. Are you running a ground probe? In the other thread you said you prefer the bartlets anthias, why do you like them more than the lyretails? Or just a personal preference?

Hey Useful, absolutely one of the beat parts of this hobby is planning and execution of the plan! I like them more only BC of the colors they present. don't get me wrong the lyretails are nice too but mostly only the males lol. I do have a ground probe I just have not plugged it in yet..... big no no since it would have avoided the nasty dose of stray voltage my poor fish endured for a while.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thank you sir,

Right now im trying to work on slowing down the crazy amount of flow coming down from the display to the sump in the basement lol. I picked up some more eggcrate this morning, so i can create a cover for my frag tank, My silly 6line wrasse that i was keeping tabs on decided to go "Skydiving" last night so before my tang in there goes for a skydive i need to cover it lol.

Thanks.

Jeez, I had no idea you had gone so big with your system. Nice setup.

Nice props with the Fat Max level. Next time we meet up I'll have to get you some more tools.

Are you going SSB? If so are you planning anything to keep the sand from accumulating crud? Just curious as I haven't figured that out in my system yet.

Does anyone know where I can get a wench to raise, and lower my light? I saw A Reef in the Sky build and he has a nice setup but he also got his setup from China. I am trying to find one locally, his has a remote that he can set presets to so he does not dunk his lighting into the tank lol.

You can use a couple linear actuators on remotes. I looked into doing the same thing, but it's pretty pricey. You can get the actuators from a place like firgelliauto.com

Jeez, I had no idea you had gone so big with your system. Nice setup.

Nice props with the Fat Max level. Next time we meet up I'll have to get you some more tools.

Are you going SSB? If so are you planning anything to keep the sand from accumulating crud? Just curious as I haven't figured that out in my system yet.

Thanks brodda, and yea gotta represent the Stanley!! WOOT! lol thanks.... and staying SSB, as of right now im thinking of adding 2 vortech to the back glass to serve as that awesome under tow and hopw that is enough to keep the sand bed clean... i can only hope.

You can use a couple linear actuators on remotes. I looked into doing the same thing, but it's pretty pricey. You can get the actuators from a place like firgelliauto.com

Ahh good catch, i will have to look into this... i mean its not something i need to get done right now but its what im going for in the long run. Thanks for the input on this bro.

It looks like the cable rides on a piece of threaded plastic. Maybe if you get some threaded pipe and attach it to a seat motor with a remote switch. It should be able to support the weight of the fixture considering it'll move a seat with a person in it. Not sure how you'd do the presets though.

Picked up one of my NEEEEEEED to have fish today, Regal Angel! currently sitting in the frag tank to make sure does not nip at my SPS in there, and also to get it on frozen food and what not :) crossing my fingers he does not develop anything. Pictures when he is more friendly for the camera.....

Beautiful fish! Just picked one up myself about a month ago. He was a little tough to get eating, but now that he is, he eats just about everything I put in the tank.

i agree with you guys, one of my favorite fish too :)

Congratulations and GL with the new addition!

Scott, how did you entice it to eat? its picking at my algae in the frag tank right now ;) but want to make sure it starts eating the frozen food, and the Nori. I got frozen food witht he fish, that has sponges in it since its one of their natural foods ;)..... worst case, i have some Zoas, and LPS i can entice it with.... lol hope it does not go for any of that though. I kept watching it last night hover around my Purple Monster Mini colony and i kept chewing my fingernails off!!! lmao.

Mine started eating fresh steamer clams on the half shell and a couple days later started eating mysis. It is fairly common place for them to go on hunger strike, so I wouldn't be too concerned yet. Mine wouldn't eat anything for about 5 days and then he started picking at the clams. When I pulled him out of QT and put him in the DT, he stopped eating for a couple days again, but now he's an eating machine. Be sure to include plenty of meaty foods for him to eat, not just nori. They have a poor track record in captivity because they don't get the nutrients they need, so give him a good variety and that will help with long term success. I'd just offer a little bit of everything you've got to see if he goes after anything. I dipped everything in garlic & selcon to help as well.

Last edited:
Back