The Foam/rock Projects Here Thread

I think you need WAY more rock. Your wall is going to be exteemely bouyant with that rock to foam ratio. Not to mention that, at least IMHO, the more rock, the better it looks, and the easier to attach frags.

I was not sure about the rock I put in it because I will still have TONS of rock in front of the wall so I didn't want to waste too much on the wall. this is on a 8ft 300g too so it would have taken a lot of rock. I am almost done with the canopy then when I get them siliconed in I will snap some finished pics. hopefully it will look nice at the end

I'm glad to see people are still interested in foam rock reefs and feel honored to have my thread listed on the first post.

wirick your probably looking at least 5 cans of foam, and if you use expoxy sold in the small bottles through hobby stores probably 10-15 bottles.

I would just use the pond foam and spread it out lightly at first so you dont have to cut it and put the epoxy down. If you need more than you can add.

while the pond foam is still wet then apply the sand and it will add a layer of protection as well.

Truck dr.

a few hollow spots are ok but from reading other post it seems like you also want to be careful with the amount of detrius that gets behind the wall.

Has anyone built a upside down structure that would hang from the top of the tank down? like what you see in caves? Just curious it seems like with enough weight this could be done, then just have a larger then needed eggcrate that would fit over the sides of the tank.

from my build

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

Has anyone considered running a line of some type behind there wall so that they could on occasion (during water changes) hook up a powerhead and flush out any waste. Maybe then the wall wouldn't be able to attach to the tank I don't know? Or is the extra waste build up not that much of a problem?

Has anyone considered running a line of some type behind there wall so that they could on occasion (during water changes) hook up a powerhead and flush out any waste. Maybe then the wall wouldn't be able to attach to the tank I don't know? Or is the extra waste build up not that much of a problem?

Shouldnt think that would be a problem. Your bacteria/critters will handle it. On my build I am going to attach the background about .5" off the back wall. That way I can run the power cords on my Koralias up behind the foam. Since it is gapped I could run a 1/4"-1/2" hose down the back and either blow all the junk up into the water column or start a syphon and do a water change from sucking all the water/junk from behind my wall.

Back