The Life Reef Skimmer Club

Nothing has changed - unbox and use. That simple. He has been using the same skimmer design for years now. I bought my skimmer in 2000 and if I was to buy one today it would be exactly the same. It works, that simple. And works well.

Sumps, he pretty much offers a standard kit and from there works with the buyer to find the best possible final product. Sumps serve pretty much standard content flow and anything beyond that is up to the owner / implementer. I am one who likes to keep stuff has simple as possible. But if you look at some of the sumps he has built and delivered, well, then are rather complex beasts.

My point in all of this is whatever you bought more or less will still be of use, and value, and relevant today.
saf1:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's what I thought.

I've got the stand, sump, skimmer. Now I just need the tank. Will update when I get the Lifereef SVS3-30 up and running.

^^^^^ Thanks.

150 gal tank--135 sump

Med- med heavy bioload (10 fish, 3 6"+)

Med heavy feeding (2 cubes of frozen/day. Nori and a good pinch of New Life Spectrum pellet and some flake every day)

I am getting ready to add some more fish inhabitants back to the tank.

Here is a pic of the display.

7eff4fe9c30ed783e649856e271d143e.jpg

That monti on the left is huge! Looking good, and skimming well, happy reefing :)

543d879a9bc71d1ecd9a4ae5f39a9047.jpg

e60764c0f0b5921ee1ae2975bac5187c.jpg

This is 10 hours of skim after a 10 hour initial setup and drain. Glad i made this move. This is the 36" with a jecod 15000 on a ~300gallon setup.

With the venturi tube connected to the skimmer cup, how difficult is it to remove the skimmer cup?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

543d879a9bc71d1ecd9a4ae5f39a9047.jpg

e60764c0f0b5921ee1ae2975bac5187c.jpg

This is 10 hours of skim after a 10 hour initial setup and drain. Glad i made this move. This is the 36" with a jecod 15000 on a ~300gallon setup.

Are you running the jecod 15000 at full blast? Where's your water line?

I run a 9000 on the 30 at 6/6 still with the water line almost 2" from the bubble overflow.

Are you running the jecod 15000 at full blast? Where's your water line?

I run a 9000 on the 30 at 6/6 still with the water line almost 2" from the bubble overflow.
In that picture it was at 8/10. After some fine tuning im now at 6/10 with the waterline an inch below the flange neck. This is giving the best skimmate consistency. I've gone back and forth between too wet (rapid filling) and too dry (bubbles/foam filling and going back theough venturi)

Im prolly pulling about 1 gallon of dark skimmate a week right now.

Interesting. I'm surprised you're running it at 6/10 with best results. I would think that your upgraded Venturi (mazzei?) is helping there. The cool thing about these skimmers is that once you find your sweet spot they're very consistent. Thanks for sharing. Happy reefing.

I guess I can join the club now? Jeff sent me the shipping number for my sump and skimmer! It's been tough waiting, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I guess I can join the club now? Jeff sent me the shipping number for my sump and skimmer! It's been tough waiting, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Welcome and congrats! What size skimmer and sump did you get? Be sure to post some pics when you get it up and running.

Hey reefers, yet again I lean on you for your expertise. Bought a used Lifereef vs3-30 a couple years ago, it's in the sump of my 260 gallon heavy bio load tank. The system has an additional 260 gallons with a tied in refugium (150 gallons) full of chaeto and live rock. 110 sump. I switched the pump to a Laguna 2900 slightly dialled back with a ball valve. Long story short, I inherited a large eel and a couple tangs, and now my nutrient levels have been climbing drastically with the extra food going into the system. I carbon dose a lot as well Am I asking too much of the skimmer? Should I be contacting Jeff about extending it? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

I'd prefer a 60 or even 72 if you have the room.

Can I add an extension to the current skimmer, or would I need to replace the whole set up. What size of pump would you recommend to drive it. Also would you recommend upgrading to the mazzei? Height is not an issue. Sump is in the basement.

Can I add an extension to the current skimmer, or would I need to replace the whole set up. What size of pump would you recommend to drive it. Also would you recommend upgrading to the mazzei? Height is not an issue. Sump is in the basement.

If it has the phlanges on the top (ie the top is removable) then you can extend it. It's modular. Would just need to adjust the pump.

After reading this entire thread twice. I thought to myself that I'm crazy for buying "old" tech, but how can so many people on here be wrong? The skimmer's I have gone through have all been name brand pinwheels, so let's switch it up.. I took a chance with this "old" skimmer and called Jeff up.

Everything reported thus far about the man is true.. He lives and breaths skimmers. Like all members here, I got the 90 min long talk and it was fascinating to say the least. I ended up getting the 30" with the Giant Cup.

I went back and forth with the pump and in the end, I just stuck to the Mag 12. Jeff recommends the 18, but I noticed a lot of people on here doing ok with the 12 (including the OP).

What shocked me the most when I got the shipment was the quality of the skimmer. Just by looking at the lid, you can tell a lot of focus was put into the design. I took some pictures of the lid to show what I mean. Just beautiful.

All in all, I am glad I made the switch. The only issue I have now is that I'm scared my system will be stripped of nutrients which is not good. I may have to put this thing on a timer to keep that from happening. The NOG photo is just one night of skimming.... SCARY...

20170210_105410_1.jpg~original

20170210_111904_1.jpg~original

20170213_131851.jpg~original

20170220_120243.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
pga7602 - he does good work, no doubt. And really enjoys what he does. Have to say I just bought a sump from him ;)

Side note - I like the wood / wall behind the skimmer in the one photo.

Back