The Life Reef Skimmer Club

A ATO is important and takes everyday manual labor out of your life. As far as dosing goes I wouldn’t worry about that until the tank is established and mature and you figure out your corals needs. Calcium and Alk are the two big ones that are dosed with reef tanks

I agree, starting the tank out I would plug three of the holes and only use the one for your ATO.

Also, depending on the investment you want to make, you could get a DC controllable return pump to avoid the need for the return pump control valve.

Has anyone tried an auto neck cleaner (like Avast's Swabbie) on their lifereef? I'm admittedly very bad about cleaning the neck/cup on mine (every few months). Any thoughts on the effectiveness? Did it interfere with the neck at all?

I’m curious as well about the neck cleaner.
I just set up a 60” with the jebao 15000 to run it and it’s pulling out some dark coffee skim!

I was wondering how much is everyone topping off with water. I'm finding that i'm topping off the tank with a gallon a day. is this normal? i'm thinking it might be. the lights on the fuge. the skimmer pump and return pump plus evaporation from the heat of the pumps and having my heater turned on in the house since mother nature can't make up it's mind from one day to the next. 20 degrees outside one day then the next up in the 40 to 50 degrees the next day and back down in the 20's the next and back in the 40 to 50 degrees out side. so can't turn off the heat yet. plus all the electronics in the room like PC and tv. was looking looks like I might have water on the floor but can't tell. will have to look next wc which will be next weekend. I do know that the pipe for the draining in to the sump that directs the water toward the bottom of the sump came off the other day and water was splashing so that might be why there is water on the concrete floor. but does a gallon a day seem to top it off?

How big is your tank? Yes, evaporation is a normal part of this hobby. I go through a little less than 6 gallons a week in evaporation and my tank is only a 57 gallon.

Are you using an ATO (automatic top off) unit? It makes dealing with evaporation much easier. I have a 10 gallon ATO reservoir and have to dump in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water once a week.

So I came across a deal on an SVS2-24 that I couldn’t pass up. It was a little worse for wear, so I had Jeff make me a new skimmer cup & lid. Jeff turned it around in less than a week! She’s back to looking as good as new. She’ll be powered by an AC Sicce ADV 7.0 with a Mag 12 as backup. I really regretted selling my first Lifereef so I’m thrilled to be back and part of the Lifereef Skimmer Club! :)

49724660938_0ec8802f52_c.jpg

So I came across a deal on an SVS2-24 that I couldn't pass up. It was a little worse for wear, so I had Jeff make me a new skimmer cup & lid. Jeff turned it around in less than a week! She's back to looking as good as new. She'll be powered by an AC Sicce ADV 7.0 with a Mag 12 as backup. I really regretted selling my first Lifereef so I'm thrilled to be back and part of the Lifereef Skimmer Club! :)

Leon,
Congrats on the sweet score!
I love my SVS3-24. Best single item I ever purchased for my tank. Question though, and this is for anyone to answer, I'm currently driving the SVS3-24 with a COR20 running 100%. This works quite well. However, I'm looking to replace the pump with a AC constant speed pump. I know Jeff recommends a MAG 9, but I've never and any luck with the MAG line of pumps. Do you think the Sicce ADV 7.0 will drive it well?

What say you others?

I would try to match the Mag 9 water flow with whatever.

Vinny, the MAG 9.5 is only 950gph. The COR20 that I'm using is 2000gph and the Sicce ADV 7.0 is 1900gph.

Jeff recommends the MAG 9.5 but goes on to say a bigger pump will increase performance.

So I as wondering what others are using besides the MAG 9.5

Leon,
Congrats on the sweet score!
I love my SVS3-24. Best single item I ever purchased for my tank. Question though, and this is for anyone to answer, I'm currently driving the SVS3-24 with a COR20 running 100%. This works quite well. However, I'm looking to replace the pump with a AC constant speed pump. I know Jeff recommends a MAG 9, but I've never and any luck with the MAG line of pumps. Do you think the Sicce ADV 7.0 will drive it well?

What say you others?

I've heard that Jeff runs his 24 incher with a Mag 18 so it can definitely handle more flow. I went with the Sicce ADV 7.0 because it's rated at 1900 gph at a paltry 55 watts. It'll probably run at 40 watts because of the head pressure through the venturi. If you read further back in this thread, people have also used the Fluval SP4s with success on the 24 inchers as well.

Not sure these would be an improvement over the COR20 as I believe the COR20 has a higher max head pressure height at 20' as opposed to 12' for the 2 aforementioned AC pumps. What is it about the COR20/DC pumps that you don't like for this application?

I've heard that Jeff runs his 24 incher with a Mag 18 so it can definitely handle more flow. I went with the Sicce ADV 7.0 because it's rated at 1900 gph at a paltry 55 watts. It'll probably run at 40 watts because of the head pressure through the venturi. If you read further back in this thread, people have also used the Fluval SP4s with success on the 24 inchers as well.

Not sure these would be an improvement over the COR20 as I believe the COR20 has a higher max head pressure height at 20' as opposed to 12' for the 2 aforementioned AC pumps. What is it about the COR20/DC pumps that you don't like for this application?

Thanks for the info.

I have (2) COR20's one as a return, other on the skimmer.

I'm in the process of switching over from the orange & grey line to something that I feel is more reliable. For the return I'm going with a RD Speedy 100w Flow pump, and I'm now looking for a pump to drive the skimmer.

Let me know your thoughts on the ADV 7 once you get it set up. I might go that route.

I'm also interested in how this performs with the Sicce ADV 7.0 or 9.0.

I've had a VS3-24 for 15 years, started with a Mag 9 then moved up to a Mag 12, then a couple years ago made the mistake of switching to a Syncro Pro which has enough flow but not rated for head and the performance is not as good. The Mags were okay but loud and used more electricity.

The Sicce looks pretty good spec wise. I also thought about the COR20 but Jeff is pretty negative on DC pumps.

Mickey

It doesn’t seem like these Sicce ADV pumps are rated for much pressure either. The 9.0 has a better head pressure rating than the 7.0, but at an energy cost... 2500 gph up to 15’ at 90 watts vs 1900 gph up to 12’ at 55 watts respectively.

I expect the ADV 7.0 to perform similarly to the Fluval SP4 with a slight edge to the ADV in energy savings. The Fluval SP4 is rated at 1880 gph up to 12’ at 88 watts. If it performs comparably, then I’ll be happy based on how much people have liked the performance of the SP4s on their 24” skimmers.

FWIW, all of those pumps have higher pressure rating than the Mag-drives. Mag 9.5 is 475 @ 10 ft, Mag 12 is 570 @ 10 ft. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that head pressure is more important than flow rate. I think that's why I'm not seeing any improvement moving to the Syncra Pro at 1900 gph from the Mag 12 and I'm considering changing to the Sicce ADV 9.0

Last edited:
Mickey, between you going to the 9.0 and Leon with the 7.0, I'd like to hear feed back on both. The COR20 is running fine, and I can wait to decide on the replacement. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Sicce ADV.

Back