The Reef is Dying - Almost Everywhere

vickiNaz

Moved On
I have been snorkeling actively for 15 years now and I have found that the reef around the world (southern and eastern carribean, mexico, etc) is dying. It is DYING. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. This hobby has destroyed the reef and the oceans. Anyone who has snorkeled in the Grand Caymans can tell you, the reef is like a desert. It is no longer a lush undersea reservatory of reef... It is a desert.

Now, conversely, in the hands of experienced reef keepers and propogaters, I would say that this becomes untrue. Still the quality of life makes me sad. The devestation we have caused is alarming.

There will be a time in our lifetimes when there is no more wild caught reef available for sale. I promise you all that. You will have read this note and said to yourselves, she was right.

Fish are another thing, but because so few reef fishes are capable of being bred in captivity, we have a long road ahead of us.

It's not the hobby causing the problems your observing. It's pollution, shipping, global warming, etc., but not collecting for the hobby. Especially not in the locations you mention.

Wild collection in certain areas is likely harming the reef. The Lion's Share of the damage is enviromental in the ways Bill discusses and probably ways we do not even know yet. Of course in many areas of the world if the reef was not profitable to collect coral for trade it would be harvested for the curio trade (likely the cause of more coral death than live collection but I don't know that for sure) or harvested for concrete.

There is no stony coral collection in any of the Caribbean, and fish and other invert collection is only occurring in a few areas of the Caribbean. The main areas of collection in the Caribbean/Tropical West Atlantic are Florida Keys, Puerto Rico in the US, with most collection occurring in Haiti, Dominican Republic and Belize. There is no collection for the hobby occurring in the Cayman Islands, the problems there are strictly environmental :(

The hobby has impacted the reefs very minimal. but, dont feel good because the reefs are dying because of human greed!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15031471#post15031471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
There is no stony coral collection in any of the Caribbean, and fish and other invert collection is only occurring in a few areas of the Caribbean. The main areas of collection in the Caribbean/Tropical West Atlantic are Florida Keys, Puerto Rico in the US, with most collection occurring in Haiti, Dominican Republic and Belize. There is no collection for the hobby occurring in the Cayman Islands, the problems there are strictly environmental :(

+1

Pollution has done significantly more harm than any type of wild collection.

As for the OP, I would suggest reading "From Ocean To Aquarium: The global trade in marine ornamental species" by Wabnitz, Taylor, Green, and Razak. In fact, here is a link to download the PDF...

http://tinyurl.com/r2d7lz

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15059504#post15059504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltwatercityma
As opposed to canine or equine greed ?
This made me chuckle. :)

It would be nice to think commercial collection to ultimately save the reefs the way zoos save species. But sadly, we've too far to go with too little time.

Back when I bought my first Hawaiian liverock, there didn't seem to be any such thing as aiptasia. Now it covers everything. I don't think it's a coincidence that the weeds of the reef are taking over. It's a sign of declining health and a real drag on this hobby.

Once they're all gone, they're gone. We'll be sorry. :(

1 problem I've noticed is when they dump sand to expand beaches and then a storm comes through and washes the sand out and covers the reefs. Ruins alot of good diving and fishing spots.

kemo484, good to see another interested floridian, i am actualy in the process of writing a bill, just have a lot of stuff on my plate, and haven't been able to get around to it lately.

but over summer will be colecting signatures.

the bill is basicaly to stop coastal development and reintroduce native dune plants to reform the natural barrier aggainst storms, so we wont need to add more sand.

is bradenton south of west palm beach? cant remember, though its on the gulf coast, right?

Reef destruction comes from every corner of the globe that burns carbon fuels, makes CO2 which both warms the atmosphere and the ocean and reduces the PH of the ocean as the seas absorb 40% of the excess CO2. so warming, acidification and sewage runoff from landand rivers, all do their part in destroying the reef life. anything we flush down the whirly ends up in the sea, someday. it all flows downhill.

The world needs a major non carbon energy source, and a more closed cycle waste processing system, to save the reefs. and us for that matter.

From what I have read most of the damage is due to environmental issues, harvesting for other uses other than the aquarium trade, and unfortunately in the areas well traveled idiot tourists stepping on the reefs.

Environmental issues will take time to correct due to our dependance on fuels. The harvesting for other uses like concrete will take laws in the countries it is happening in so there isn't much we as hobbiests can do there. The idiot toursits stepping on the reef and busting stuff up can be helped with education at the diving spots but it probably can't be stopped fully.

Always buy captive bred stuff and you can help prevent further damage to the reefs. By buying captive bred fish and prop'd corals wild stuff won't have to be caught. Each person can do their small part to help reduce the impact on the reefs.

There is nothing like zero impact on reefs from the collecting for the ornamentals, nor there are only little impact. Period.

There are areas still in good shape. There are protected areas in almost pristine shape. But there are places that in only 10 years has been bombarded by the trade. That´s a fact. Nobody can change, because it´s done already. Who ever try to say the opposite doesn´t know.

The most important issue to this is the way they collect. Others: holding, bagging, transportation, choosing the right organisms, maintenance in our systems, etc. The word is: responsible and professional work. It goes from the collectors to our homes. All related to excessive demand on market (fishes AND inverts) and big eyes on money.

To talk about other problems related to reef destruction is to try justify the mistake that many have done in the name of the hobby in the past until now. If you separate the types of destruction and deal only with the trade part, we´ll begin to find possible solutions.

We should be talking about the possible solutions that should save the hobby and responsible collecting and reefkeeping. Less demand, less need, more fishes out there.

Please don´t take me wrong. There are many other reef destruction things going on out there and we know we can´t compare to the destruction our hobby does. They are really making a big mess!!!! But the hobby is doing too, in a very less and a different way. Just a small percentage, but nothing that we should ignore.

If you face that: you´ll respect the laws, you´ll be aware of what´s going on, and the most important: they will see you.

Do you love the hobby, nature or the organisms? I love´em all.

I´m glad everyone can post their point of view here. Thanks.
Just my $.02

Grandis.

Last edited:
Back