The Scleractinia Shallows

Thank you Dom and Andrew for reminding us that most of the SPS sent here is the stuff you guys might as well chuck in the bin :(

Thank you Dom and Andrew for reminding us that most of the SPS sent here is the stuff you guys might as well chuck in the bin :(

Hey, we get some really good stuff from the wholesalers, and the big companies too. It's just like $500 for a tiny frag. . .

:headwally:

You do realise we are never going to hear the end of this don't you Dom..........
It was totally worth it! :lolspin: need to show the world just how spoilt we are at Dave's haha

Did you guys see the aberrant Lemon Peel angel? My mate bought it.
We did indeed and it's definitely in a good home with Jamie :)

Yep.. that's Andrew's hand.
I can hear him saying, in his head "mine, mine, mine!!!!" While, out loud, I can hear him saying anxiously, 'now, Dom, just because you have that fancy schmancy camera, doesn't mean you get first pick of the acros. I've been here a while and actually I've been here so long that my hand is hurting. I believe THAT gives me the right to all acros I can wave my ailing hand over. Just want to make that clear, Dom... Dave.. DAVE! Did you hear that?!? I get first dibs on ALL the acros Dom is photographing. I'm not well, you know.. hand.. aweful pain.. and well..... MINE!!! Wait.. did I say that out loud??'
hahaha there was no politeness once John left, he was trying to behave while John was around :jester: "trying" being the key word :love2:

Very nice pictures Dom! I see Dave is at it again taking every last penny from you. Those Anthis are gorgeous. How hard are they to help long term, and what is your plan to keep them? Your tank cover should keep them in the tank. And what was that pink piece you nor Andrew had a budget for?

Marty
Thanks Marty, first time using RAW and Lightroom so I'm pleased with them! He always takes my money, ALWAYS!
They're very hard, two of the hardest species to keep long term in the reef aquaria! Not sure yet, I'll have to wait and see how they go at the store first :)
It was the nem lol I should have made that more clear in the post lol

His floppy suicide-enabler?! Not sure on that one, I'd put some bricks on all the corners holding it down or something
Thank you! I use the wonderful blu-tac to hold it down :deadhorse1:

I'm having a bit of a time with Biggles' report of how he suffers for his coral art. Methinks the swirling just above the corals, you know, to soothe his suffering hand, was actually a prelude to nicking one...

Really enjoying the view here
Thanks mate, it's pretty good from anywhere lol

Yes... green is always an issue for me. But it's because I'm obsessed with finding that true yellow coral.. unfortunately, most 'yellow' corals turn green for me.
Dom that red haddoni is the holy grail for me (more so that a true yellow coral). I would give away my left dangle for one as nice as that!!
Get it!!!
Green is definitely an issue for me too haha. Andrew has no trouble reminding me though lol
It was absolutely amazingly amazing! Such a glorious colour and health! Was sold already and $3k+ is a bit much to take out of the Acro-Fish fund haha

I need a pair of biggles vision corrective lenses
The best part is I have the next best thing! The man himself haha. We both have a very similar eye these days as we both have the same taste too

My joke delivery needs considerable work, it seems. Be that as it may, I had a bit of a chuckle at how choosy aquarists have become. I started the hobby in 1987 and keeping sps of any kind alive for any duration was a major achievement. Advances in the hobby have been amazing.
We are very very spoilt at our LFS, we quite often have the same laugh together about how silly it is over the pieces we're being choosy about because olive green was all there was 10-15 years ago :lol: We really are super lucky to have access to so much sexiness!

Thank you Dom and Andrew for reminding us that most of the SPS sent here is the stuff you guys might as well chuck in the bin
Gotta let you know what a shipment looks like when it's a special one ;)

Hey, we get some really good stuff from the wholesalers, and the big companies too. It's just like $500 for a tiny frag. . .

:headwally:
That's very true lol but there's always going to be those differences :) Fish imports are big expenses here because of all the regulations, taxes and cost involved in importing and quarantining them lol

it sold for $3,000??? OMG, I had no idea they were so much. Good choice not buying it.

Marty

Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Yes... green is always an issue for me. But it's because I'm obsessed with finding that true yellow coral.. unfortunately, most 'yellow' corals turn green for me.
Dom that red haddoni is the holy grail for me (more so that a true yellow coral). I would give away my left dangle for one as nice as that!!
Get it!!!
Green is definitely an issue for me too haha. Andrew has no trouble reminding me though lol
It was absolutely amazingly amazing! Such a glorious colour and health! Was sold already and $3k+ is a bit much to take out of the Acro-Fish fund haha

S. haddoni can be serious fish eaters, best left to species only tanks or large systems with plenty of room for fish to keep their distance. If I had to get a fish eater it would be S. gigantea anyways, red haddoni are overrated. :)

GreenGiantCarpetAnemone_Stichodactyla_gigantea_600px.jpg

Dom your tank is looking really good, it's great to see your new tank really taking shape quickly. I also love seeing the acropora pool you and Andrew choose from, it's really quite amazing to see pieces like that in a fish store, very jealous. :)

3k!?! Holy schnauzers!!!!!!
That are around $500 here..
if it weren't for my peppermints shrimps, I'd own one. And perhaps not as many fish..

It was $3800- actually Matt and would be mine if tight arse Dom hadn't refused to buy it for me............... little xmas grinch......:mad2:

It was totally worth it! :lolspin: need to show the world just how spoilt we are at Dave's haha

We did indeed and it's definitely in a good home with Jamie :)

hahaha there was no politeness once John left, he was trying to behave while John was around :jester: "trying" being the key word :love2:

Thanks Marty, first time using RAW and Lightroom so I'm pleased with them! He always takes my money, ALWAYS!
They're very hard, two of the hardest species to keep long term in the reef aquaria! Not sure yet, I'll have to wait and see how they go at the store first :)
It was the nem lol I should have made that more clear in the post lol

Thank you! I use the wonderful blu-tac to hold it down :deadhorse1:

Thanks mate, it's pretty good from anywhere lol

The best part is I have the next best thing! The man himself haha. We both have a very similar eye these days as we both have the same taste too

We are very very spoilt at our LFS, we quite often have the same laugh together about how silly it is over the pieces we're being choosy about because olive green was all there was 10-15 years ago :lol: We really are super lucky to have access to so much sexiness!

Gotta let you know what a shipment looks like when it's a special one ;)

That's very true lol but there's always going to be those differences :) Fish imports are big expenses here because of all the regulations, taxes and cost involved in importing and quarantining them lol

Such a lovely fish, that he forgot it was a Lemonpeel and its' taken a liking to his LPS. Anyway it was a one of a kind and really spectacular to look at. I'd sacrifice some LPS for a fish like that.

WOW Dom,
Seems as though you are stocking the tank with all sorts of goodies! Great job, the patience and planning seems to be going in the proper direction :) Take is slow with the AF products, allow the tank to take to the products slowly and then begin ramping up based on the observations. I am truly excited to see the progression, Happy New Year mate!

S. haddoni can be serious fish eaters, best left to species only tanks or large systems with plenty of room for fish to keep their distance. If I had to get a fish eater it would be S. gigantea anyways, red haddoni are overrated. :)

Dom your tank is looking really good, it's great to see your new tank really taking shape quickly. I also love seeing the acropora pool you and Andrew choose from, it's really quite amazing to see pieces like that in a fish store, very jealous.
Serious fish eaters is an understatement haha they're fish mad! I wouldn't get haddoni either, gig's are where it's at for me as well lol. I much prefer the tentacles on them and the way they pulsate over the body :) Blue gig would be my choice of destruction!

Thanks Josh :) I'm really happy with it, I'm hoping there should be some more improvement to come in the next few weeks now I fixed a little silly blunder I'd been making :hammer: lol (see below). We are certainly very lucky with what Dave gets in for everyone! And that he really goes to a very large effort to make sure people are looked after too :) The fish he gets in are on par with those goodies too so I'm in heaven :p

3k!?! Holy schnauzers!!!!!!
That are around $500 here..
if it weren't for my peppermints shrimps, I'd own one. And perhaps not as many fish..
it sold for $3,000??? OMG, I had no idea they were so much. Good choice not buying it.

Marty
It was $3800- actually Matt and would be mine if tight arse Dom hadn't refused to buy it for me............... little xmas grinch......
Yeeaahhh, they're pretty crazy expensive here!! Andrew did try and then I reminded him of the destruction that would have followed... he was pretty quiet after that :sad2:

Such a lovely fish, that he forgot it was a Lemonpeel and its' taken a liking to his LPS. Anyway it was a one of a kind and really spectacular to look at. I'd sacrifice some LPS for a fish like that.
I have no doubt lol a worthy sacrifice!

WOW Dom,
Seems as though you are stocking the tank with all sorts of goodies! Great job, the patience and planning seems to be going in the proper direction :) Take is slow with the AF products, allow the tank to take to the products slowly and then begin ramping up based on the observations. I am truly excited to see the progression, Happy New Year mate!
That's a very wonderful compliment from you Perry :) thank you! I'm hoping all the patience and planning and sticking to my plans pays off in the long run though lol just need to stick to the plan lol
Definitely enjoying the AF and certainly taking it slow. The acro's are loving the Component mix and growing well :) The Pro Bio S and NP Pro are working wonders on stabilising the nutrients to a decent controlled level.
The build is something I'm dosing at a lower rate to play with and see what happens :) The tank is definitely running like I would hope! Happy New Years to you too!

So you know how sometimes you do things, look at the tank, your equipment, something plays up and it seems a little off. Well the skimmer has been a little strange the last few weeks and I checked it over and nothing was wrong...
The skim wasn't producing much but it was good and every so often the bloody thing would overflow and go a little crazy and I didn't really know why. Couldn't figure it out lol
Turns out, I came home to it having overflowed again and the water in the body was clear, meaning no air... Turns out that I'd completely missed cleaning the venturi air intake that was nearly completely clogged with salt, whoopsie doodles!!

Needless to say that now it's clean and readjusted, it's working like a dream and the acro's look better for it already lol

Also, doing the first AF salt water change tomorrow too, hopefully the acro's like it :)

So you know how sometimes you do things, look at the tank, your equipment, something plays up and it seems a little off. Well the skimmer has been a little strange the last few weeks and I checked it over and nothing was wrong...
The skim wasn't producing much but it was good and every so often the bloody thing would overflow and go a little crazy and I didn't really know why. Couldn't figure it out lol
Turns out, I came home to it having overflowed again and the water in the body was clear, meaning no air... Turns out that I'd completely missed cleaning the venturi air intake that was nearly completely clogged with salt, whoopsie doodles!!

Needless to say that now it's clean and readjusted, it's working like a dream and the acro's look better for it already lol

Also, doing the first AF salt water change tomorrow too, hopefully the acro's like it :)

Yep, like Perry said, slow and easy with AF seems to be the best way.. I'm sure you would nothing but, Dom.
Why not put your skimmer pump on a timer and program it to shut off for a couple minutes once or twice a day.. this allows tank water to seep into the venturi valve and dissolve any salt accumulated in it.
I do this in all my air intake skimmer.. works very well..

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :facepalm: :facepalm:

Whelp, my reef senses have been tingling the last few days as some of the acro's haven't been travelling so well and some are doing really well, turns out it's nothing I'm doing like I though and it's actually our worst nightmare..... :eek1: :uhoh2:
Bloody AEFW, just when I thought things were finally turning a corner... :uzi: :uzi:

I'll be heading down to Dave's to sort out my treatment and within the next week I'll begin the prazi dosing with Dave's guidance. Wish me luck guys, I'm going to need it lol. I'll have a few hundred litres of water on hand and ready and an extra tub of carbon just in case! Lol

I was about ready to pack down this morning before chatting to Dave and Andrew but I have hope again :)

Crap Dom, sorry to hear about the AEFW, but if anyone can pull through this it would be you. Keep us posted on the progress.

Reef keeping is life!

Ouch!! That sucks long spined urchins!!!!
Sorry to hear. Good luck with the prazi..... I'm not sure I've really heard of any true success stories using it without some serious fallout in. the system.. unless you plan to remove all the acros and treat them in qt..

Dom, that stinks. Good luck with the treatment. You may want to contact Sahin, he has dealt with this number of times. He may have the answer for you.

Marty

Hey matey. Sorry to learn about the bloody aefw's being in your tank. As Marty mentioned, I've dealt with these aefw bastards a few times and have advised a few friends in the past year. Currently helping a buddy clean his tank...his eyesight isn't the best and he misses the eggs and I've gone over and removed the eggs or puttied/glue over them.

I've always linked this thread for others: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263491

I followed the protocol and got rid of the aefw wankers easily from my system two years ago. I had approx 45 frags/colonies. If you don't have Bayer over there just use Revive or CoralRX.

Most prefer to fight the aefw and get rid of them. Some do choose to live with them. Me personally, I don't want them in my system.

Good luck mate. Drop me a PM if you need further info etc.

Just read your post again and see that you are intending to use prazipro...to the best of my knowledge it doesnt work as in tank treatment. I think the revive and CoralRX work great at knocking off the aefw from the coral. Eggs must be inspected for abd removed manually or glued over. Will be watching your thread closely...

New plan Dom........

Imagine you, me, Kevin, Sahin, Matt, all the guys - on a spaceship !

Something terrible happens and a deadly flesh eating space worm infests the ship - we're all doomed.......... except Kevin. You see Kevin learned his lesson from other reported space worm infections and was holed up in the quarantine section of the ship :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it is you Dom that shows the first signs of flesh eating worm infestation, everyone offers you support and kind words because they know it's a terrible way to go - everyone except Kevin.........

Kevin starts telling you how you should have listened to him and been hiding in the quarantine section and everyone knows that deep down he's right and any of us that end up joining your fate have only ourselves to blame.

Everyone except me.......... i walk over to the QT door and use my emergency override command code to blow Kevin into space. When i turn around i see everyone is doing this :wavehand:

Keep only the AAA one off's like the firetruck etc and throw everything else - you know what i have is yours and what Dave will do for you. Just dip as per Sahin's instructions 4 or 5 pieces and then we will go nuts covering your rocks with color :)

Kevin won't be helping because he was blown into space........... sounds a bit harsh i know.......... sorry........ :wave:

Back