The Scleractinia Shallows

WOW Dom!!!
Things are settling in nicely man, I can totally see Andrews influence in your style, and love it!!! Tank is looking great, cannot wait to see those sticks get bigger and fill in, going to be one hell of a tank mate :)

I've been putting off posting because I'm super jealous of your wrasse, but your tank is looking to good not to give you props. Great job on the scape!
haha I've hopefully got some more jealous-worthy wrasse to come! One day I would truly love to get my hands on c. claire! But at a few grand a pop, I think that day will be a while away haha
Thanks for the compliments mate :)

looking so nice DOM! :bounce3:

finally looking like a tank that belongs into the SPS area of this forum ;)

Cheers Buddy
I know, finally worthy of being in the sps keepers section on RC :lolspin: Thanks Flo, I'm hoping the improvements start to flow over the next few weeks!

WOW Dom!!!
Things are settling in nicely man, I can totally see Andrews influence in your style, and love it!!! Tank is looking great, cannot wait to see those sticks get bigger and fill in, going to be one hell of a tank mate :)
Thank you for the kind words Perry, they mean a lot coming from an acro-maestro such as yourself :)
I'm very happy with the layout of the tank and I'm thinking the placement of the acro's is getting pretty close to what I want. I'm definitely thinking the tank is liking the AF too, the pro bio and np are doing the trick on the crazy nitrates I had lol
I can't wait to see what the tank does over the next 6 months!

OK Dom, just read Biggles page. When will we find out what you got?

Marty
Technically I didn't get anything, much to Andrew's dismay! :hammer: that being said there's a trick to that statement and it's coming in the following update along with the delivery night shots at Deer Park :)

As everyone probably well and truly knows by now, Andrew and I were invited for a lovely evening at Dave's on Friday night last wekk and holy smokes was it a wonderful date night!! :love2: One of the most colourful deliveries of acro's I've seen in a while!!
The pictures are a little over-saturated as it's my first time using RAW and Lightroom to edit but I think I did pretty well aside from that :)
Most shops have an "acro tank" but no one has "the acro tank" like Daves when it's freshly filled!

Just look at that bloody rainbow of colour through the tank...

But I mean what good is an overall picture when there's no sneaky looks at the gems that came in!

Just your average sub-$100 piece of SSC

Blue tips anyone?

Some glowy goodness..

These two are two of the bits that the lovely Andrew picked up, he didn't do too badly methinks!

Some boring scoly flubber for those that are twisted that way!

Now I bet you're all wondering what I got with such an amazing level of stock in... well I originally went in with the intention of not getting anything but some AF top ups as I'm holding off for my elusive Lennardi to come in but when I got there, Dave... , well Dave decided that my willpower was far to strong and decided to have some of the smallest and most beautiful Purple Queen Anthias (pseudanthias pascalus not p. tuka though) I've seen in a looonnngggg time!! Well needless to say that, depending on how they go I'm hopefully going to be able to work towards keeping half a dozen long term!! :inlove: I suppose I really am a sucker for punishment when it comes to fish... lol

There was another piece that tempted both Andrew and I but neither of us had budget or tank space to allow for it! Pretty goddamn gorgeous if you ask me!

You do realise we are never going to hear the end of this don't you Dom..........:facepalm:

Before anyone starts whining about how unfair it is that Dom and i have access to stuff like these acros - just pause for a minute and consider this before you pass judgement.....

Due to the long period that passed while i perused the acros, my left hand resting on the glass edge of the SPS tank became quite sore after a while and i found that gently waving it back and forth in long slow sweeps under the water just over the top of the acros actually relieved the pain ! :wave:

Didn't know that acros can make things better instantly did you............ hmmmmmmmm. I just added significantly to the SPS knowledge base imo.
You're all welcome - no need for thanks :)

AcroTown2_zpsyb1lrsbz.jpg

Really like the Fluoro pieces, and the yellow one in the bottom corner of 'blue tips'. I've only had a couple all fluoro SPS come through and most of them were too plain jane. There's some lookers out there that are all fluoro and have some color variation besides that light toxic green color

You do realise we are never going to hear the end of this don't you Dom..........:facepalm:

Before anyone starts whining about how unfair it is that Dom and i have access to stuff like these acros - just pause for a minute and consider this before you pass judgement.....

Due to the long period that passed while i perused the acros, my left hand resting on the glass edge of the SPS tank became quite sore after a while and i found that gently waving it back and forth in long slow sweeps under the water just over the top of the acros actually relieved the pain ! :wave:

Didn't know that acros can make things better instantly did you............ hmmmmmmmm. I just added significantly to the SPS knowledge base imo.
You're all welcome - no need for thanks :)

AcroTown2_zpsyb1lrsbz.jpg

Yep.. that's Andrew's hand.
I can hear him saying, in his head "mine, mine, mine!!!!" While, out loud, I can hear him saying anxiously, 'now, Dom, just because you have that fancy schmancy camera, doesn't mean you get first pick of the acros. I've been here a while and actually I've been here so long that my hand is hurting. I believe THAT gives me the right to all acros I can wave my ailing hand over. Just want to make that clear, Dom... Dave.. DAVE! Did you hear that?!? I get first dibs on ALL the acros Dom is photographing. I'm not well, you know.. hand.. aweful pain.. and well..... MINE!!! Wait.. did I say that out loud??'

Very nice pictures Dom! I see Dave is at it again taking every last penny from you. Those Anthis are gorgeous. How hard are they to help long term, and what is your plan to keep them? Your tank cover should keep them in the tank. And what was that pink piece you nor Andrew had a budget for?

Marty

I'm having a bit of a time with Biggles' report of how he suffers for his coral art. Methinks the swirling just above the corals, you know, to soothe his suffering hand, was actually a prelude to nicking one...

This is how i see what was before my eyes Matt

8_zpsi7rugig8.jpg

The first thing i do is admire everything and then discount every piece that has green branch tissue or brown bases that i don't believe will ever totally cover with color.

5_zpsxgcjg6gh.jpg

The i picked the 3 pieces i wanted from the remaining choices.

4_zpsysmvbfun.jpg

It takes willpower but it's why my display will never end up with green being the dominant pigment overall........... it's just a personal thing but you guys see a lot more goodies you would buy than i did.

I'm sure many of you wonder how your displays end up a lot greener than you intended initially.......... i've been there and done that....:spin3:

Yes... green is always an issue for me. But it's because I'm obsessed with finding that true yellow coral.. unfortunately, most 'yellow' corals turn green for me.
Dom that red haddoni is the holy grail for me (more so that a true yellow coral). I would give away my left dangle for one as nice as that!!
Get it!!!

This is how i see what was before my eyes Matt

8_zpsi7rugig8.jpg

The first thing i do is admire everything and then discount every piece that has green branch tissue or brown bases that i don't believe will ever totally cover with color.

5_zpsxgcjg6gh.jpg

The i picked the 3 pieces i wanted from the remaining choices.

4_zpsysmvbfun.jpg

It takes willpower but it's why my display will never end up with green being the dominant pigment overall........... it's just a personal thing but you guys see a lot more goodies you would buy than i did.

I'm sure many of you wonder how your displays end up a lot greener than you intended initially.......... i've been there and done that....:spin3:

I need a pair of biggles vision corrective lenses

My joke delivery needs considerable work, it seems. Be that as it may, I had a bit of a chuckle at how choosy aquarists have become. I started the hobby in 1987 and keeping sps of any kind alive for any duration was a major achievement. Advances in the hobby have been amazing.

Back