The Scleractinia Shallows

Is Kevin a metaphor for Slavetonet?

Marty

New plan Dom........

Imagine you, me, Kevin, Sahin, Matt, all the guys - on a spaceship !

Something terrible happens and a deadly flesh eating space worm infests the ship - we're all doomed.......... except Kevin. You see Kevin learned his lesson from other reported space worm infections and was holed up in the quarantine section of the ship :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it is you Dom that shows the first signs of flesh eating worm infestation, everyone offers you support and kind words because they know it's a terrible way to go - everyone except Kevin.........

Kevin starts telling you how you should have listened to him and been hiding in the quarantine section and everyone knows that deep down he's right and any of us that end up joining your fate have only ourselves to blame.

Everyone except me.......... i walk over to the QT door and use my emergency override command code to blow Kevin into space. When i turn around i see everyone is doing this :wavehand:

Keep only the AAA one off's like the firetruck etc and throw everything else - you know what i have is yours and what Dave will do for you. Just dip as per Sahin's instructions 4 or 5 pieces and then we will go nuts covering your rocks with color :)

Kevin won't be helping because he was blown into space........... sounds a bit harsh i know.......... sorry........ :wave:

New plan Dom........

Something terrible happens and a deadly flesh eating space worm infests the ship - we're all doomed.......... except Kevin. You see Kevin learned his lesson from other reported space worm infections and was holed up in the quarantine section of the ship [emoji106]

Unfortunately it is you Dom that shows the first signs of flesh eating worm infestation, everyone offers you support and kind words because they know it's a terrible way to go - everyone except Kevin.........

Kevin starts telling you how you should have listened to him and been hiding in the quarantine section and everyone knows that deep down he's right and any of us that end up joining your fate have only ourselves to blame.

Everyone except me.......... i walk over to the QT door and use my emergency override command code to blow Kevin into space. When i turn around i see everyone is doing this :wavehand:

Keep only the AAA one off's like the firetruck etc and throw everything else - you know what i have is yours and what Dave will do for you. Just dip as per Sahin's instructions 4 or 5 pieces and then we will go nuts covering your rocks with color :)

Kevin won't be helping because he was blown into space........... sounds a bit harsh i know.......... sorry........ :wave:
Nice to have a friend like you Biggles!

Reef keeping is life!

New plan Dom........

Something terrible happens and a deadly flesh eating space worm infests the ship - we're all doomed.......... except Kevin. You see Kevin learned his lesson from other reported space worm infections and was holed up in the quarantine section of the ship :thumbsup:

^

I'm with him... until he blows me out of the air lock... or drags me through the briar patch.

I have just discovered, Aussie humor isn't always fun and games.

Marty

I was only joking Marty, in truth i would have sealed myself in sick bay and blown you all out into space.........

I know we're mates and all but these are space worms we're talking about......... space worms Marty.

I would of course cut the oxygen supply and wait until you were all unconscious prior to cleansing the ship of worm hosts - i'm not the cruel person you may have thought i was Marty and i wouldn't let any of you suffer :love2:

When rescued i would tell them that Kevin went mad and blew himself and you lot out into space, luckily i was in sick bay with a cold............ ;)

Hey Dom, do you know where your AEFW's came from. I don't need names. Just a simple yes or no or MYOB or I will blow you out of an airlock.

Marty

Crap Dom, sorry to hear about the AEFW, but if anyone can pull through this it would be you. Keep us posted on the progress.

Reef keeping is life!
Cheers man, at least I can still add fish at my own leisure lol will definitely keep things updated!

Ouch!! That sucks long spined urchins!!!!
Sorry to hear. Good luck with the prazi..... I'm not sure I've really heard of any true success stories using it without some serious fallout in. the system.. unless you plan to remove all the acros and treat them in qt..
It sucks many spiny urchins! I've changed my plans as I found the Australian equivalent of Bayer Advanced which was why I was going to try prazi

Dom, that stinks. Good luck with the treatment. You may want to contact Sahin, he has dealt with this number of times. He may have the answer for you.
Marty
Stinky indeed and he's down below which I expected haha

I thought you would learn your lesson by now.
This is not your first tank.
Sorry if I came across harsh.
There's a quote that goes with this image from Hot Fuzz but the censorship means I'll just post the picture to share my sentiment with you Kevin :)

Hey matey. Sorry to learn about the bloody aefw's being in your tank. As Marty mentioned, I've dealt with these aefw bastards a few times and have advised a few friends in the past year. Currently helping a buddy clean his tank...his eyesight isn't the best and he misses the eggs and I've gone over and removed the eggs or puttied/glue over them.

I've always linked this thread for others: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263491

I followed the protocol and got rid of the aefw wankers easily from my system two years ago. I had approx 45 frags/colonies. If you don't have Bayer over there just use Revive or CoralRX.

Most prefer to fight the aefw and get rid of them. Some do choose to live with them. Me personally, I don't want them in my system.

Good luck mate. Drop me a PM if you need further info etc.
Just read your post again and see that you are intending to use prazipro...to the best of my knowledge it doesnt work as in tank treatment. I think the revive and CoralRX work great at knocking off the aefw from the coral. Eggs must be inspected for abd removed manually or glued over. Will be watching your thread closely...
Plan has changed which is for the better and the plan is written up down below, I'l probably pester you on FB with questions lol

New plan Dom........

Something terrible happens and a deadly flesh eating space worm infests the ship - we're all doomed.......... except Kevin. You see Kevin learned his lesson from other reported space worm infections and was holed up in the quarantine section of the ship

Keep only the AAA one off's like the firetruck etc and throw everything else - you know what i have is yours and what Dave will do for you. Just dip as per Sahin's instructions 4 or 5 pieces and then we will go nuts covering your rocks with color

hahahahaha now that made me laugh and put a smile on my face :) Which was needed as I didn't even look at the tank for a few days after realising the issue....

I really seriously appreciate that mate :) I'm getting bayer on Monday so I'll drop some off for you if you'd like?

Nice to have a friend like you Biggles!

Reef keeping is life!
It doesn't get much better at all!

I was only joking Marty, in truth i would have sealed myself in sick bay and blown you all out into space.........

I know we're mates and all but these are space worms we're talking about......... space worms Marty.

I would of course cut the oxygen supply and wait until you were all unconscious prior to cleansing the ship of worm hosts - i'm not the cruel person you may have thought i was Marty and i wouldn't let any of you suffer :love2:

When rescued i would tell them that Kevin went mad and blew himself and you lot out into space, luckily i was in sick bay with a cold............ ;)
:lolspin: :lolspin:

Hey Dom, do you know where your AEFW's came from. I don't need names. Just a simple yes or no or MYOB or I will blow you out of an airlock.

Marty
I know exactly where they came from and I'm in half a mind to bananas over it but I'll be the bigger person lol

Biggles gives them to anybody whose tank is starting to look a little too nice.
hahaha he spikes the Biggle Juice with the eggs

Okay, so in terms of my dipping. I spent a few hours looking for an Australian equivalent of Bayer Advanced Insecticide as we can't get that exact product here, so using the same active ingredients and the same concentration ratio I managed to come across a Bayer product called Temprid, which is nearly 10x more concentrated that your Bayer lol so I also spend a little while doing the maths and conversions to get what I believe is a similar dosing scheme to the much beloved Bayer dip lol and that's:
10ml per 1L of tank water for 10mins :)

I will of course be testing that out on a coral that will be going to heaven but fingers crossed it all goes well!! :)

Glad you found the right poison Dom, i still can't find any worms or bites but dipping stuff in poison isn't something i want to miss out on :thumbsup:

As i said in my journal, i don't believe your story about getting them from someone other than me........ so, if i gave them to you they must be in my tank :hammer:

And i just realised i dropped those 7 frags in to Dave's............ gets worse and worse......... :rolleyes:

Okay, so in terms of my dipping. I spent a few hours looking for an Australian equivalent of Bayer Advanced Insecticide as we can't get that exact product here, so using the same active ingredients and the same concentration ratio I managed to come across a Bayer product called Temprid, which is nearly 10x more concentrated that your Bayer lol so I also spend a little while doing the maths and conversions to get what I believe is a similar dosing scheme to the much beloved Bayer dip lol and that's:
10ml per 1L of tank water for 10mins :)

I will of course be testing that out on a coral that will be going to heaven but fingers crossed it all goes well!! :)
Good idea to test in a coral or two.. 10-20ml per liter is what I use for Bayer over hear so I think you are doing a pretty strong dose of your product is 10x as concentrated. But even at higher doses, I've not found Bayer to be very harmful to the coral.. good luck!

Glad you found the right poison Dom, i still can't find any worms or bites but dipping stuff in poison isn't something i want to miss out on :thumbsup:

As i said in my journal, i don't believe your story about getting them from someone other than me........ so, if i gave them to you they must be in my tank :hammer:

And i just realised i dropped those 7 frags in to Dave's............ gets worse and worse......... :rolleyes:

These worms were not invented in an aquarium. They came from the wild. No matter where your corals came from, if they were not dipped in something prior to putting them in your aquarium, you run the risk of introducing aefw to your display.
Granted, the chances are lower for wild caught corals than from mariculture pieces but there is still a good likelihood that some will make it in.... eventually.
It seems that all you need is one egg or one worm to stow away on a coral.. Whether that coral came from another tank or the wild...
They are sneaky bastards and one can NEVER be sure where they came from.

Good idea to test in a coral or two.. 10-20ml per liter is what I use for Bayer over hear so I think you are doing a pretty strong dose of your product is 10x as concentrated. But even at higher doses, I've not found Bayer to be very harmful to the coral.. good luck!

I dip at 20ml to 250ml tank water. So I think he'll be fine.

Dom, I just dipped my beloved 32 year old bonsai plant in a massive dose of insect poison.
Kinda like what you going to do with your beloved frags ... BTW my bonsai pulled through just fine. PS treat your SPS like you would plants by feeding them a balanced diet of Nitrate Phosphate and Potassium - saying that , insect and bug poison are designed to kill just that and not plants, use plant poison if you wish to kill your SPS - just dumbed this hobby into basic equations for you.
PS there is not one yellow leaf on "Emma" this year she looks great after a soaking in Biggles Juice!!!

Last edited:
Dom, I just dipped my beloved 32 year old bonsai plant in a massive dose of insect poison.
Kinda like what you going to do with your beloved frags ... BTW my bonsai pulled through just fine. PS treat your SPS like you would plants by feeding them a balanced diet of Nitrate Phosphate and Potassium - saying that , insect and bug poison are designed to kill just that and not plants, use plant poison if you wish to kill your SPS - just dumbed this hobby into basic equations for you.
PS there is not one yellow leaf on "Emma" this year she looks great after a soaking in Biggles Juice!!!

Not to derail the thread; But:

Nils,
That is incredibly, freaking, AWESOME!!!

Not only is the simple, zen-like beauty overwhelming; but the 32 years of stewardship is exemplary.

Congrats and well done.

Not to derail the thread; But:

Nils,
That is incredibly, freaking, AWESOME!!!

Not only is the simple, zen-like beauty overwhelming; but the 32 years of stewardship is exemplary.

Congrats and well done.

No worries mate, I don't think Dom and I for that matter care about a thread de-railment much... where ever we forum hang out there is no offence taken.

I missed a bunch DOM. Sorry about the AEFW and glad you found what looks to be an equivalent dip. Fingers crossed!

There will be good updates soon. You either war with space worms or post. He's 'warrin. I also agree, that's a really awesome tree Slin. Not many bonsai grown by seed! I used to love mine when I was younger. The grandma killed 'em all. Small trees do not appreciate high velocity watering.

Everyone here digs nature to some degree, I think Bonsai are pretty cool and while Dom is at War we can de-rail this sucker juuuust a bit.

Really cool non-standard bonsai designs coming out!

buxifolia-luisa-alfaro.jpg

large.jpg

amazing-bonsai-trees-31-5710fa291dd89__700.jpg

566742_f6c2deb3a90809b533f5bd0706b6c4bf_large.jpg

Back