The Scleractinia Shallows

Have you considered Mandarins? I'm sure Andrew would take a couple of babies off your hands.

Marty

I want a boy girl matched pair of reef safe blue faced angels Dom. They'd make a great Xmas present to me from you and Georgia so how about you breed something cool rather than Marty's silly suggestion. ;)

How are the acros going, i spotted a little firetruck blob frag near your new SSC piece and it looks healthy and colorful. :)

I want a boy girl matched pair of reef safe blue faced angels Dom. They'd make a great Xmas present to me from you and Georgia so how about you breed something cool rather than Marty's silly suggestion. ;)

How are the acros going, i spotted a little firetruck blob frag near your new SSC piece and it looks healthy and colorful. :)
Like that gorgeous little young'un blueface that Dave has :inlove: what a stunner! I'd love too!! lol
I'm thinking once I've got a bit of a foothold, I'm going to get myself a pair or harem of Great Barrier Reef Flame Angels and try and get them spawning :D lol

Yeah things aren't looking too bad at the moment :) A little bit of dullness from when I went away but things aren't doing too badly. I'm feeding a cube of mysis and three pinches of pellets a day now and the fish look GORGEOUS :D lol

Hi Dom,

last set of pics looked great, but what have you done for us lately?

Breeding sounds hard ... fun, rewarding, but hard. I've thought about raising some of the clown eggs I get every 20 days but then ... beer, in the fridge.

I think reef safe angels would be awesome! You can do it we have faith in you.
The problem with getting any species to reef safe is it would take generations to breed out the instinct of food sources being coral lol. It would be an amazing project to under take though, with a genetic study in hand as well! I believe I can do it too lol I've got a visit to an aquaculture lab on Monday which is going to be fascinating!

Hi Dom,

last set of pics looked great, but what have you done for us lately?

Breeding sounds hard ... fun, rewarding, but hard. I've thought about raising some of the clown eggs I get every 20 days but then ... beer, in the fridge.
I'll be honest, I haven't done much haha the tank is just sitting and chugging along at the moment as I have little income to do anything groovy at the moment lol

It's not going to be an easy road but I'm very much looking forward to it and playing with live foods and different copepod species :)

I'm thinking once I've got a bit of a foothold, I'm going to get myself a pair or harem of Great Barrier Reef Flame Angels and try and get them spawning :D lol

I'M thinking you breed me the #$#@Y& blue face angels i asked for instead of thinking about your own selfish red themed wranger fish breeding scheme......... BLUE FACE ANGELS !

I think reef safe angels would be awesome! You can do it we have faith in you.

Good man Pifey - ones with blue faces mate :thumbsup:

By 'we' i assume you mean you..........;)

At the moment I'm trying to feed it everyday but we'll say, because I'm lazy lol, it's 5-6 days out of the week :) They always get at least three feeds of my pellet mix though :)
Mostly ocean nutrition mysis soaked in Selco Boost but I have some frozen mix prduct that I use every so often :) I'm going to head down to the local market soon and make a mix myself with a bit of everything! lol
That diy food is my favorite part too bud:beer:
There is always something left for mike and his sea food eating friends:)
Plus...fish absolutely love it:)

I'M thinking you breed me the #$#@Y& blue face angels i asked for instead of thinking about your own selfish red themed wranger fish breeding scheme......... BLUE FACE ANGELS !
There was/is two gorgeous flame angels currently living at Daves that I'd love to get my hands on! But we'll just have to see what happens!

That diy food is my favorite part too bud:beer:
There is always something left for mike and his sea food eating friends:)
Plus...fish absolutely love it:)
haha I'm thinking about going down to the market and getting a list of fresh seafood to trial a mix:
- Scallops (with roe)
- Prawns
- Clam/pippi's
- Muscles/oyster
- A fillet or two of a nice fatty fish
- I'll be hitting up the asian fishmongers as well to see if they have anything different too :)

I'm going to trial a few different size mixes too and maybe make myself a delicious marinara too ;)

Since you are breeding Blue Faced Angels, what size tank are you getting?

Marty
haha if I had the money, I'd set up a commercial marine ornamental aquaculture business because there's nothing here in Aus!

No such thing as a reef safe blue faced angel, should be renamed scleractinia terror!!!
Maybe I could become a geneticist and create one? :lolspin:

I gave the tank some serious love over the weekend and changed a few things!
- Gave the sandbed a 50L vac and it's muuuccchhh cleaner now! Also did a 25L siphon as well for a 75L WC :) Tank and glass are much cleaner now!
- I've got the halide back on and running now the weather is cooler, things are looking a little sad but there's some improvement already in 4 days lol.
- Changed to AF carbon.
- I've removed all the trace elements from my Component 1, 2 + 3 mix as I'm testing something to do with it. It's just the standard mix now, Alk, Ca, Mg and the mineral salt :)
- I've also upped my np pro and pro bio s dosing as I've upped my feeding and it seems to be keeping up with it :)

I finished it all off with some terrified testing tonight as I haven't tested in way too long but all is good :)
Alk: 6.7dKh
Ca: 425ppm
Mg: 1305ppm
PO4: 0.083ppm
NO3: 25ppm
SG: 37ppt

Sounds great Dom, looking forward to more photos once you give the tank some time to adjust to the halides. :D

Sounds great Dom, looking forward to more photos once you give the tank some time to adjust to the halides. :D
The PE has gone through the roof with the removal of the AF trace elements, my thoughts are I simply don't have the stock levels to be able to uptake them properly so I'm just doing the component until it runs out then I'll add a quarter of the trace back to the dosing :) I've also done ~50% water change in the last two weeks as well which will be a large factor in the pe increase too :)

It's simply amazing how much of a difference the Radium makes in 1 week, since starting it back up for 4hrs a day my red acro's (that were brown lol) have gone completely metallic green and now have the red coming back through again (both have green base tissue). It blows me away lol :bounce2: it's also due to the fact that 4x 24w t5's are no where near enough light for my tank so everything is a little sad but cheering up :) Still got a whiles to go but getting there. I have much more motivation for the tank again which is really helping

How are the clams doing?

Marty
Good as always! I'm hoping to get another t. crocea at some point :) one of the really pretty ones from AcroAl and a black and white lightening t. maxima!

Looking good, Dom
Very nice low profile reef shaping up there.
Still got a very long way to go Matt but the tank is free of the acro eating devils, I went through and thoroughly inspected every acro with a magnifying glass yesterday :)
I've got my parameters stabling out and I'm testing more regularly than I ever have lol. Doing more maintenance more frequently too :) Things are definitely heading in the right direction and hopefully in a month or two when I have some cash again and a new job (current one is at it's end, the head chef is a @&%#$ and they're only giving me one shift a week lol) I'll be doing a little more awesome stocking and getting a variety of the STUNNING Generation 2 frags from Sustainable Reef's. A few fish I want to pick up as well :)

I'm nearly ready to start culturing phyto and pods too :) It's definitely the most motivated I've been about the tank in a while!

It was great catching up today Dom, spending a few hours at Dave's with some mates......... priceless :thumbsup:

Won't take you long to clean the reef up now the radium is over it again :)

It was great catching up today Dom, spending a few hours at Dave's with some mates......... priceless :thumbsup:

Won't take you long to clean the reef up now the radium is over it again :)
It was indeed great to catch up :) It's always fun pestering Dave for a few hours!

Getting there as we speak :) I've been much MUCH more active with the reef and live of late and the tank is loving the extra attention. Batch of testing and water change are on the cards for today :)

I'm glad you're back at it full swing
You, the shallows and I are all very glad for it :) I'm testing salinity every day, Alk every 2-3 days and everything else once a week :)

I'm currently dosing AF Component 1, 2 + 3 without the Component Strong additives and the tank is really enjoying that as I mentioned previously. I've also upped my AF NP Pro and Pro Bio S dosing to 4 drops every night as I'm keeping it up to match my feeding regime :) For the 6 fish I have I'm trying to feed a cube of mysis a day and bare minimum 3 pellet feeds but sometimes as much as 10 lol. When I get some time on a Friday or Saturday morning I'm going to go down to our local market and pick up a bunch of fresh seafood and start trialing some food mixes and try and figure out the probiotic mix that is used in the LRS food mixes! Frozen food here in Aus is very very unreliable at the moment :(

Back