The Scleractinia Shallows

Nice sump, Dom.
Now, get it home and install it so you can spend 4 hours on your system instead of hanging out in the pet store!
Can't wait to see it all running.

I can make out around 5 sections Dom, care detail what they are all for?

Reef keeping is life!
There's actually 6 :rolleyes: hahaha I shall explain below!

Nice sump, Dom.
Now, get it home and install it so you can spend 4 hours on your system instead of hanging out in the pet store!
Can't wait to see it all running.
haha still needs the acrylic work on it and the finishing touches but I am so happy with it :D and it was an afternoon well spent! I do plan on spending a few hours on the tank tomorrow though :) will do some water tests shortly too.

Now onto the detail of the sump, going off the front on pic. The basics of the sump details are as follows, in order of the flow through of the sump:
- The back right corner is the overflow and skimmer section.
- It flows into the front middle section which is for some of the matrix, this matrix will be more about ammonia and nitrite process as the flow through that area will be a little higher and more oxygenated meaning the bacteria's environment is more aerobic.
- That then flows into the frag tank section on the left. I'll also use this section for acclimatising new fish to the system before they go upstairs for the real fun lol easy to observe and catch them down there :) Along with that the rest of the matrix will reside under the frag racks for a slower less oxyenated water flow to allow for an anaerobic condition to form and hopefully mean the matrix is more efficient at processing nitrates.
- From there it's into the filter sock section (I have mine just before the return instead of overflow). I'm not going to run them all the time, mainly before and after water changes and if I clean the sump or move stuff around in the tank and when stirring up the matrix.
- And finally the return section, it's going to be a little tight but it'll house the new Vectra I have on the way along with squeezing in my ato sensor in there too.
- The crazy raised pieces and the section you see underneath the right side is actually my RO tank!! Completely out of the way and about 35l! I'm really happy with this little gem on the sump! Easily fits a tunze ro pump and will be blacked out with acrylic. It's going to be so awesome to have that section hidden away and easy to access! :)

That's a good plan mate,they get "cloged" so you have to change/clean them every 2-3 days:hmm6: and that's a lot of trouble:p

That's a good plan mate,they get "cloged" so you have to change/clean them every 2-3 days:hmm6: and that's a lot of trouble:p
Yeah I can't be a*s-ed changing them and washing them all the time so just when a good clean is in order :)

that is one killer sump my friend!! :bigeyes:

can´t wait to see it plugged in
It's definitely going to be a lot of fun!! Looking forward to have the little frag/acclimatisation tank underneath though :) should make life a lot easier for me lol

Parameter update as I did another water change today :)
Alk: 5.04dKH (I should get on to some dosing to bring it up lol)
Nitrate: 0ppm
Phos: 0.012ppm
SG: 37ppt (already adjusted for this, will double check later again tonight)
Ammonia: 0ppm

Pretty happy with how the nutrients are going in the tank so far. Got some nice fuzz growing on the rocks and some good glass growth but I figure I've probably still got another few weeks of ugliness before things settle down and return to a pretty state :) lol

Tanks has been running just over 6 weeks though and I'm very much getting ready to add some new and colourful fishie friends :D I did make a slight change to my plans of stocking the tank too lol instead of opting for a few flashers of the same species, I'm now going to get the following three for a nice mix:
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher)
- Paracheilinus filamentosus (Filamented Flasher)
- Paracheilinus attenuatus (Diamond Tail Flasher)

Dang Dom,
That sump is something else mate! I wish I lived there, they do awesome work, would love to get myself something custom like that :) Really awesome, I cannot wait to see this beauty in action! Cheers :)

Dang Dom,
That sump is something else mate! I wish I lived there, they do awesome work, would love to get myself something custom like that :) Really awesome, I cannot wait to see this beauty in action! Cheers :)
Thanks Perry :) it's so cool and will be so much fun to have and run! I can't wait either!

Also looks like no tinkeri or mitratus :( they're over $1k so a little out of my price range! :(
Looks like I might be getting burgessi instead as they'll be a little less and hopefully not exorbitant lol

Playing with the fish list again lol Yes the tank will be heavily stocked but with a metre of space I'm looking forward to some bustling movement!
- Halichoeres melasmapomus (Earmuff Wrasse) (in tank already)
- A pair of captive bred gramma loreto (Royal Gramma's)
- Any species of liopropoma I can get! lol
- A pair of wetmorella albofasciata (White Bar Possum Wrasse)
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)
- Anampses lennardi (Lennardi Wrasse)
- Chaetodon burgessi as tinkeri and mitratus are too expensive :(

Should make for a nice kickass tank methinks :)

Playing with the fish list again lol Yes the tank will be heavily stocked but with a metre of space I'm looking forward to some bustling movement!
- Halichoeres melasmapomus (Earmuff Wrasse) (in tank already)
- A pair of captive bred gramma loreto (Royal Gramma's)
- Any species of liopropoma I can get! lol
- A pair of wetmorella albofasciata (White Bar Possum Wrasse)
- Paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)
- Anampses lennardi (Lennardi Wrasse)
- Chaetodon burgessi as tinkeri and mitratus are too expensive :(

Should make for a nice kickass tank methinks :)
No room left for a goldfish? :fish1:

No room for goldies :sad1: I might be able to squeeze a few neon tetras in there though :lol:

Yes! I know it's probably lame to most of you but I would totally just have about 100 neon tetras in my tank if that were possible, I love the effect a bunch of small fish like tetras give a tank, it makes the tank look much larger. :D Too bad A. parvulus aren't the same price as a tetra and as easily cared for. :lolspin:

Yes! I know it's probably lame to most of you but I would totally just have about 100 neon tetras in my tank if that were possible, I love the effect a bunch of small fish like tetras give a tank, it makes the tank look much larger. :D Too bad A. parvulus aren't the same price as a tetra and as easily cared for. :lolspin:
Are you kidding, neon tetras are awesome!! lol I've always loved them and having a massive *** shoal of them would look amazing!
Not easily cared for at all unfortunately lol and I haven't seen any come up in a very long time too! Some of the other cardinals are great though :)

One of the most stunning tanks I ever saw was a freshwater planted tank with dark substrate, about 150 Cardinal tetras, and big sword plants and heavily actinic weighted lighting.....

It was breathtaking....seriously.

One of the most stunning tanks I ever saw was a freshwater planted tank with dark substrate, about 150 Cardinal tetras, and big sword plants and heavily actinic weighted lighting.....

It was breathtaking....seriously.
I still have a huge soft spot for FW, planted and cichlid tanks :rolleyes: I would set one up but having two different tank would take up WAAYY too much of my time :lol:

I still have a huge soft spot for FW, planted and cichlid tanks :rolleyes: I would set one up but having two different tank would take up WAAYY too much of my time :lol:

A planted FW tank............. you're not having any of your acros back Dom - you're not a fit and responsible SPS keeper.....:debi:

Back