The whole coral pricing has become a joke

You make me sick mucho, do you honestly think we can keep raping the oceans with more and more hobbist entering? Give it away for free? Coral should be expensive, typical human response.... destroy everything. If we keep taking and taking and taking , and you want it all dirt cheap. Don't pay the little man, the middleman, all you want is your $5 colonies
This Thread disgusts me

Be disgusted, your stance essentiallly boils down to it being ok for some to massively exploit the reef for profit, profit that never makes its way back to the reef. If anything you should be demanding profits got back to reef restoration rather than people's personal bank accounts like you're currently ok with.

Be disgusted, your stance essentiallly boils down to it being ok for some to massively exploit the reef for profit, profit that never makes its way back to the reef. If anything you should be demanding profits got back to reef restoration rather than people's personal bank accounts like you're currently ok with.

Actually, quite the opposite is true. The "mouth" here is upset that he can't buy big rocks of polyps for cheap (putting far more pressure on the reefs). Although this is untrue, he seems to think vendors should be selling big frags and rocks at a loss. He's even admitted his prior sources have gone belly up. Obviously the majority have spoken and reefers want smaller frags of nicer corals.

To all of the new reefers who entered the hobby after 2005 as it relates to zoanthids and mushrooms, just be aware that reefing is being replaced by greed no matter how it is sliced. It is happening with other corals as well. Don't take my word, just read and look at the dates. The excuses given for such greed are endless. The OP sounds the alarm in post #1 and again in post # 814 above. Open this and all the other links and see what others are saying and have said, then you decide.

http://166.78.194.232/forums/showthread.php?t=1422216

Those who entered after 2005 simply aren't aware of the past and how we went from $40 for a large colony, to $40 per polyp. Hang on, it's about to get even worst as it had every year for the past 11 years.

Last edited:

You got his positioning wrong. 10+ years ago, wild harvested colonies seemed to be the norm. You could buy a big rock of zoas cheap. Still can buy them for relatively inexpensive prices. But now, most coral is aquaculture. Which has more input costs. But, it also reduces stress and damage to our already fragile dying reefs. What he was saying is that he finds it disgusting that someone can still advocate for those cheap wild harvested corals, when the reefs are so damaged. Remember, we are in the middle of the 3rd massive coral reef bleaching event in the last two decades. But, don't mention that to anyone here, some can't fathom that with 90% of the great barrier reef bleached, coral prices go up.

To all of the new reefers who entered the hobby after 2005 as it relates to zoanthids and mushrooms, just be aware that reefing is being replaced by greed no matter how it is sliced. It is happening with other corals as well. Don't take my word, just read and look at the dates. The excuses given for such greed are endless. The OP sounds the alarm in post #1 and again in post # 814 above. Open this and all the other links and see what others are saying and have said, then you decide.

http://166.78.194.232/forums/showthread.php?t=1422216

Those who entered after 2005 simply aren't aware of the past and how we went from $40 for a large colony, to $40 per polyp. Hang on, it's about to get even worst as it had every year for the past 11 years.

These threads and the enclosed links serve a vital role and purpose in that you now have and opportunity to view the facts and sequence of events as they happened which depicts how we got here. Now, as an educated consumer you have the knowledge and the control on whether you choose to pay these sky high prices and to believe the lies and the false claims of rarity and lineage.

Last edited:
I have no problem with people charging what ever they want for a coral, you do not have to pay it simple. For me I buy what I like and what I can afford. I have been in the hobby long enough that I usually can trade for a coral if I really want it. Personally I do not really care for what some of these people charge it is this persons right to sell and it is your right to buy or not buy.

i also understand a name for a coral, not to increase the price but because it is hard to id most corals so common names are easier.

Those that buy some expensive morph are the ones really I feel sorry for. When you buy some of these morphs it can totally morph back in your tank from a 200 frag back to a 50 dollar frag. Most corals that are worth allot will get split up and propagated like crazy or they will be collected from the ocean in larger numbers if there all of a sudden is massive demand. Acan were a perfect example, from 500.00 a a frag/polyp to the point most are under 25.00 now.

When you see a picture of a nice tank you aint thinking wow look at all those named corals. You have no idea what the person has and usually he does not either. Those with really nice reef aqauriums are looking for a type of coral that fits a area. They are looking for a growth form or color. Most do not care about the name of it.

It these uglier than hell tanks that have way to many corals packed in and they are all over the sand bed. Basically they look more like a frag tank than a natural reef. You see this more and more lately. These are also usually the aquariums that eventually crash because they have way to many corals battling each other. I am not looking at these tanks and going cool look at all these named corals, I am going look how ugly that tank is.

Do I have some named corals or expensive corals.. Sure I do, because I buy what I like, I do not spend crazy dollars on them either unless something is truly hard to get like some anemones and fish.. Usually after a few months I cannot even remember the named corals I have bought. I have no issues with those that do, A nice looking reef tank is a nice looking reef tank no matter what you put in named/expensive or not.....

Mucho, genuinely curious here. When you talk rarity do you talk of a species in generalities? Or even to specific color morphs? I ask because many genuinely seem less common than others. And since I want my tank to be zoa dominated I pay a lot of attention to them, look at them a lot etc. And there are certainly some morphs I've searched around online for that don't seem to be easy to find. I'm just interested in seeing your thoughts/proof to the contrary.

Capitalism itself is lies, greed and deception bud.

Otherwise the phrase "buyer beware" would never have been invented.

Capitalism is great because the the consumer gets to choose. Buy or don't. Otherwise you have one choice..... Or maybe none!

Capitalism is great because the the consumer gets to choose. Buy or don't. Otherwise you have one choice..... Or maybe none!

Just look at Venezuela, determined prices for tons of goods were too high. So Chavez set the prices lower and shockingly, there is now shortages abound.

Hence the title of this thread.

Mooch

I find it hard to believe that people pay those prices.

They don't. It's been shown many times here that "The whole coral pricing has become a joke" is a complete lie being perpetrated by an ex hobbyist/vendor. I bet if you set up a poll less than 1% of reefers have paid $100/polyp. It's just not true. Here's the first vendor on the RC sponsor page that sells polyps. 5"+ rocks of polyps on sale for $40.

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=3&cid=303&pid=1564

Wasn't saying it was bad. Just saying that the acquisition of wealth is the reason people start businesses, and some will push the envelope (or break it entirely) of what is considered "moral" business.

But yes, it beats the alternative.

Back