The whole coral pricing has become a joke

Just keep buying 5-10$ frags, the higher prices will fall.
A lot of the higher priced frags are brand new to aquaria, so really it's unknown if they'll survive long-term..

As I am a rather new beginner to the reefing community, I agree that people are asking astronomical prices for what amounts to little more than a 1" colored twig or some colored button with eyelashes.
Fleabay is not the only place where such price gouging is taking place, facebook is another.

It would be wonderful if enough people such as yourselves ( those who disagree with the price inflation ) started your own forum or group in an effort to bring the cost back down to reality.
Rant over

How would that work?

There are 2 ways to help bring down the overly inflated prices.
1. Spread the word to others to quit buying such frags.
2. Undercut their pricing by a large margin as well as giving said frags some stupid catchy name all the while calling it rare or hard to get.

The latter being true in the sense that it is rare to get a decent frag for a decent price as.

Selling your own frags cheaper will not deter, lower or alter these sky high prices. The gougers will simply buy up all your cheap frags and resale them and laugh at you. I know this for a fact as one of them told me this personally several years ago.

It's been 10 years now and these prices are going even higher and nothing, nothing is going to stop it unless you begin to educate as many reefers as possible to what is going on with factual proof. There are tons of threads alone out there to do this.

Mucho

How would that work?

From my understanding forum's/groups are quite easy to create with very little if any cash outlay.

Word could/would be spread through out the various existing saltwater aquarium forums to build a seller/buyer database.
Add a disclaimer upon joining that stipulates, no seller is to list coral colonies or frags above a max price in an effort to make and keep the HOBBY more enjoyable for everyone.
Once it is known that seller's and buyers alike are reasonable in their pricing, hobbyists (such as those posting here) will choose to spend their hard earned money on a piece or pieces that doesn't break the bank.

Like the analogy. The only way one eats an elephant, is one piece at a time.

Until we as hobbyists take a step to reduce the over priced corals flooding the market we have not right to complain.
JMHO

Selling your own frags cheaper will not deter, lower or alter these sky high prices. The gougers will simply buy up all your cheap frags and resale them and laugh at you. I know this for a fact as one of them told me this personally several years ago.

It's been 10 years now and these prices are going even higher and nothing, nothing is going to stop it unless you begin to educate as many reefers as possible to what is going on with factual proof. There are tons of threads alone out there to do this.

Mucho

Let them laugh. When others find out that they can get the same frag for a substantially lower price from someone else they ( the over priced sellers ) will in turn loose business.

This way you are educating reefers, by putting $$$$ back into their wallet.

Mucho is correct. The polyp pimps will just buy up the cheap frags to corner the market. This behavior isn't exclusive to the coral market. It might work if you had an infinite supply of frags but then who does?

Are those purchasing the "rare" stuff doing so in order to say they bought it? I mean, what's the motivation here?

I feel like I would buy something "rare" to show it off or try to recoup my cost by propagating it. Hard to do the latter when you have to wait for grow out. Is this why frags are getting smaller and smaller? I've seen one "eye" being sold which amounts to a pinky fingernail.

Also, from my understanding the collectors are not getting JACK compared to what the importers are asking $ wise. Indonesia and the Philippines aren't exactly rolling in dough. Imagine if we told them how much they should be asking for the colonies they collect! It may well be their entire annual salary. :/

As many have stated over the years, often it's for bragging rights, to cash in on the next so call big find, for resale and profits by hacking the first new polyp and gluing it to a plug. Who knows as I have never seen so many people fragging frags and looking for info on how to frag said frag before it has even acclimated in their tanks.

Rare has become purely subjective. I have lost count of how many reefers I have encountered with less then a year in the hobby telling someone something is rare. My jaw breaks every time I visit these online vendors who label their corals rare. Corals I've owned 20 years ago, it's hilarious, yet people fall for this daily and pay extreme amounts of cash for common corals. This is where and why education is key

Mooch

The funny part here is that many different retailers lurk the forums & they won't change a thing until we refuse to pay the artificially inflates prices. And when we don't they drop prices, then put on sale etc. If we all keep in mind that they want to move the corals out asap bc they'll die in their tanks if they dont, total loss.

Keep an open mind but not so open that your brains fall out ('',)

I hope you're right.

Also, from my understanding the collectors are not getting JACK compared to what the importers are asking $ wise. Indonesia and the Philippines aren't exactly rolling in dough. Imagine if we told them how much they should be asking for the colonies they collect! It may well be their entire annual salary. :/

Trust me, they now know about these sky high prices and the gouging and their fees have increased because of it. These prices are slowly killing this hobby and will priced the average reefer right out of the door as it has already done to so many.

It would be wonderful if enough people such as yourselves ( those who disagree with the price inflation ) started your own forum or group in an effort to bring the cost back down to reality.
Rant over

As a previous reef related non-profit event organizer, I have thought about it...

There are 2 ways to help bring down the overly inflated prices.
1. Spread the word to others to quit buying such frags.
2. Undercut their pricing by a large margin as well as giving said frags some stupid catchy name all the while calling it rare or hard to get.

Its hard to have the "next hot polyp" of the month...but I try....

Sold thousands of zoas and given away even more. Made quite a few peoples day in my time.

This needs to be read by everyone....

Thats how brick and mortar places afforded the walls and electricity- not to mention its employees....

Are you buying single polyps or an inch of acro for over a $G at a brick and mortar establishment?

Didnt think so.....
Yup, that's why I was shocked when people were mazed at the huge colonies of hammers I've got.

When I searched online for prices of corals in US the prices are way too expensive. In sure in Indonesia, marine livestock is also very very cheap.

Yup, that's why I was shocked when people were mazed at the huge colonies of hammers I've got.

When I searched online for prices of corals in US the prices are way too expensive. In sure in Indonesia, marine livestock is also very very cheap.

Well the animals we purchase can slip through a few hands before we get them. There are some standard prices for coral, and some just off the charts. We all have a choice with what we purchase for our tanks.

Isn't this capitalism at its finest? (or worst?)

Deceptive marketing, price manipulation, a consumer outcry that does nothing... Yeah, sounds par for the course.

Lets be honest though it is not like we are talking about an unregulated utility here.

I have a tank full of common coral, It does not bother me in the least.

It just drives me crazy how every coral these sellers list says "Cornbred" or "Jason Fox". They didn't make them. These are live animals. Irritating.

It just drives me crazy how every coral these sellers list says "Cornbred" or "Jason Fox". They didn't make them. These are live animals. Irritating.

You could always buy something from "Cornbred" and then turn around and re sell it as "SoloGarth's". You'd be doing exactly what irritates you, but you'd probably irritate those who are irritating you in the first place, and I'd get a laugh out of it haha. Sounds like a win-win.

Yeah that is exactly my point haha. This stupid name dropping.

Also Cornbread? Really? Sologarth is certainly a better coral brand name hahaha

Also Cornbread? Really? Sologarth is certainly a better coral brand name hahaha

I couldn't agree more about his name choice hahahah.

I couldn't agree more about how stupid name dropping is either, actually.

Not to derail the thread, but isn't that to identify lineage? Whether or not you believe the seller/origin of the coral is another issue, but lineage can be important, no?

Personally, I don't care much about the boutique corals, but if a frag I'm considering came from ORA or ReefGen or some other trusted source, I'm much more apt to purchase than if it's a no-namer from Joe Schmoe's tank.

Back