TheDoogan's shallow rimless tank.

Wow those macro shots are simply stunning mate, i'm going to enjoy following along as you document your reefs progress. Everything is looking great, well done :thumbsup:
Thank you!
Excellent build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks!
Amazing, as always
:spin1:

This build is incredible. Awesome stuff, on your 3 part doser what are you dosing? How have you liked the marine magic doser?
Thanks. Its my first doser so i dont have much to compare it to. It does the job but you get what you pay for. The pumps MUST be calibrated every now and they and speeds differ greatly from pump to pump. Its easy enough to program but I wish I went ith BRS style dosers with my Apex. Although I wasn't sure how to use 2 low wattage dosers and a low water ATO aqua-lifter on the same EB-8.
I love the rockwork in this tank. Plenty of room for flow and seems to maximize coral placement. Can't wait to see it in a year.
Thanks. I am thinking about changing up the flow, i'm getting some single directional flow in spots leading to weird growth. What do you guys think about adding another mp10 and mounting both to the back wall beside the overflow on opposite sides. Do you think this will get chaotic flow into the center of the tank? I want to keep the right side clear of powerheads as that's one of the main views from the couch.

8547632664_b4c0ed6677.jpg

8546536715_1882e15679_b.jpg

8546535873_aa06328427_b.jpg

8546535029_effded392f_b.jpg

Here ya go!

The most colorful coral in the tank so far
8448750185_75d67266e8_c.jpg

Meant to say earlier, that's a stunning pink monti. I see what you mean about the growth sweeping one way on that acro, rather than adding another MP10 why not grab a Tunze 6055 or 6095 for the second unit so you have directional control, best of both worlds. Either way i definitely think adding a second pump is a good idea.

How did you paint your stand?
Sand primer paint varnish? The finish on that looks amazing

And how did you get teeth/comb on your weir if it's glass!

thedoogan: Would you care to elaborate some more on the "leak detector"? Is that something you made yourself or is it a controller attachment? From the picture I'm assuming each wire goes to a + and - on a power source that is attached to an alarm and water closes the circuit?

How did you paint your stand?
Sand primer paint varnish? The finish on that looks amazing

And how did you get teeth/comb on your weir if it's glass!

Yeah 2 coats oil based primer sanded between coats. MDF sucks in a lot, especially the sides. 2 coats water based paint sanded between. 2 coats polyurethane semi-gloss, no sanding. The teeth are glued to the inside of the overflow and are pretty thin.

thedoogan: Would you care to elaborate some more on the "leak detector"? Is that something you made yourself or is it a controller attachment? From the picture I'm assuming each wire goes to a + and - on a power source that is attached to an alarm and water closes the circuit?

No power source, it's plugged into my Apex. I have one around the back and side on the floor and another inside the stand around the sump.
It's basically speaker wire, cut and fixed together with metal butts(make sure they are not aluminum) spaced close together. One wire into a # slot on the breakout box and the other side to GND. The butts become contacts and with water between them, it completes the circuit. This turns on a LEAK_FLOOR switch or LEAK_STAND switch and trips sound and email alarms. I'm going to put one on top of my skimmer and trigger it to shut off. recently i had it overflow and dump a week of skimmate into the tank

These is the metal butts spaced close together, there are multiple contact points like this on one string of wire.
8163082246_57fa8d28dd_z.jpg

Last edited:
Simply amazing tank. I found ALOT of inspiration to my future tank:)
I love the clean look.

Any update upcomming ? :)

Back