TheDoogan's shallow rimless tank.

Very nice tank. If I didn't have a small child that would throw all sorts of things in the water I would love to build something like this.

Good Idea!

Good Idea!

That's an awesome feature, but could be a weak point and your leak. How does it attach to the bulkhead? can you unscrew it and try your own standard standpipe?

Been a while but..... Yeah, that is a great idea! The pipe fits right into the bulk head and is not glued in. I will cut my own solid piece of piping so there is no weak spot. Thanks!

btw, your tank is looking really good! Keep up the good work man :beer:

Your tank is absolutely perfect and way to pay attention to detail. I read through the thread and perhaps I've missed this, it looks like you used some of the reef saver rock. What did you do to cycle? Did you add the clowns for that?

Love the setup. Everything looks great!

I have a question for you. In your stand you have two fans for ventilation. I have a similar setup but only use one fan. I bought my fan at my LFS and it has a regular style power cord that makes it kind of nice. That however is the only thing nice about it. It is CRAZY LOUD and moves a ton of air. I need to find something better. Are your fans quiet? If so can you elaborate on them?

I also find my fan gets really dirty really quickly and is a pain to clean. I need to come up with a better solution.

i can't tell you how many times i have actually read through this whole build. so detailed and so beautiful. by far my favorite tank on here! rimless shallow tanks FTW!

I absolutely love your tank! It's just an over-all clean build. Having said that, I am trying to duplicate your light fixture stand/holder. I used a sharpie to make marks and took my torch to it, but after 45 minutes, it wasn't hot enough. Are there any special techniques that I'm missing? I thought about just using an outdoors propane burner that's used for cooking. I imagine that would get much hotter.

So the burner worked out well but after I clamped it up to my 90 degree frame and let it set, it rebounded by an inch or so. I'm thinking about modifying the frame to overly bend the aluminum to compinsate but I'm afraid if I heat it up twice it will be too brittle. Anyone have experience with this?

OP hasnt been online since May last year. :(

I was very keenly following this thread because the system is so nicely setup.

Back