Thinking of starting a small Mantis Setup.

RNich34

So, while I'm in the process of setting up my large 125, I wanted to set up a small 10 Gallon Mantis tank. This is what my plan is.

I think I've decided on the Green Mantis or the Orange Spot Mantis. I've pretty much decided on a smasher to be a little cleaner

10 Gallon Tank
2 decent sized rocks
3" sand bed
Aquaclear 50 with the sponge filter pulled out and turned into a small sump
Or would it be better to leave the sponge filter assembled?

I just started planning this, so any help would be great. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to ask questions about setup.

Thanks.

They'll be in 2 different rooms. The 125 will be in the living room and the mantis tank will be in my bedroom. And sorry, I mis spoke on the ones I was considering. It's the Green (G. viridis), Purple Spot (G. smithii), or Tiger (G. chiragra)

I've had a smithii in an almost identical setup to what you're describing for the last 2.5 years. I left my Aquaclear as is, and it's only the 30. Feed him about twice a week; I have a lot of small snails from my other tanks that I toss in there for him. He likes a nice easy small piece of krill once in a while too. They don't need much light, so keep it simple. I like him a lot; a bit skittish, but fun.

I think the leader for me right now is the Chiragra. How often do you water change? and how much?

I think the leader for me right now is the Chiragra. How often do you water change? and how much?

When I first started I wanted something in particular then I found that something in particular didn't exist in my water zones (illegal to import / export live marine creatures in Australia). So I picked another species to go after first...which was taking very long, but I got a message from a local reefer saying how he wanted to offload 2 G.graphurus, so I took them instantly (still have them 3yrs on).

Point is I was just happy in the end to get anything and I was SOOOO very lucky at the same time considering that the 2 G.graphurus will live peacefully together and have done so for more then 5yrs...(2 in previous owners care and 3 in my care), this is exceptionally rare and every researcher still tells me it's not possible, no matter how much evidence I give them =).

As for G.chiragra there are good and bad things that I have experienced with mine, Megatron (my G.chiragra) isn't the most interactive species in comparison to the other small smashers I have (G.smithii, G.ternatensis, G.graphurus, G.viridis) I have yet to EVER see my G.chiragra "threaten" me in the classic pose which all other species dish out towards me at a moments notice.

Having said this Megatron certainly makes it his own come feeding time and boldly battles at the front of the tank in open water away from all forms of cover...he doesn't have that tactical approach of creep n pounce he just bullrushes wide in the open and smashes away, easy to catch on camera, only my 2 O.scyllarus act the same way as Megatron when it comes to feeding time all other smaller smashers will become very tactical in their approach to prey.

I have my G. Smithii in a mixed reef 10g/~7g sump. I do about 5 gallons a week for water change but for just a mantis using an AC I think you could get away with a gallon a week. The biggest thing would be maintaining salinity. Smaller open top setups will evaporate a lot of water relative to total volume so keep on top of that and it should work. I'm actually thinking about moving my Smithii to a regular 10g or 5g with pretty much the same setup.

Back