Tips For Beginners

vikinglord13

First, I'd like to say to the mods, if there's another thread like this I apologize. I did a few searches and couldn't find anything.

Second, I'm technically a beginner since I started my first reef a few months ago. That said, I intend for this thread to be for general tips for people with no experience. I'll try to post by category.

Planning:
For those of you interested in joining this hobby, the first and foremost important thing for you to do is plan. There is a plethora of different categories that apply to our tanks. The first decisions I think are important are how big you want your tank, what kind (live rock vs. artificial), how much money you are willing to put into the tank, and what kind of bottom.

Tank Size:
Theoretically, beginners can start with any size they want. However, unless you have the money to insure a potential tank crash, I highly suggest you start small. I have learned so much these past few months, I am thankful I started small rather than going large (I have a 29g Coralife Biocube – 29G CBC). If you want to go large, I highly suggest you do more in-depth research (especially by going to the Large Reefs forum here... there is loads of information there. Again, I can't emphasize how advantageous it is to start small. First, you won't spend a lot of money, you won't potentially lose a lot of money, they are great to learn with, and they are fun! :fun4:

Live Rock vs. Artificial:
Hands down, I recommend you choose live rock. It's one of the easiest ways to ensure you have good filtration. What better way than going natural? Both of these articles help explain why the bacteria living in live rock is so important.

$$ Money $$:
Unless you plan really well, you are going to spend much more money than you think. Repetition is good: You are going to spend more money than you think. Staying small is a simple way of doing this. I've spent approximately $900 to set up my system in total. It can be done cheaper if you buy a used tank or get better deals; however, I would say that's a good estimate for a basic 29G CBC set up. You can get great deals by getting ship-free packages for pre-made clean up crews on various sites. Some website also usually tend to do deals for selling coral and fish (personally I'm a fan of Reefs2go's buy all coral half off sale).

Bottom:
There's a lot of debate as to whether sand, crushed shell substrate, or bare bottom are beneficial. I will leave this one up to you. It all depends on what you want. I have crushed substrate (only because I thought it was sand) and it seems to help with my Calcium levels. I've seen tanks work in all aspects, make sure you do good research to know how best to care for your bottom. I have a deep bed, so I make sure I siphon it every two weeks before I do my water change. That has been helping me with keeping my nitrates down, and I'm sure it is helping keep the harmful gas levels down as well.

Tank Set Up:
This can also be part of your planning stage. Essentially, you want to make sure you will have good water flow for your whole tank. I've read a good changeover rate for your water would be five times per hour. It would be good to have good waterflow around all of your live rock (with it not being up against walls); however, I have seen people have success with their liverock against the back wall (usually because of good filtration). That said how much live rock to get, how many fish (how big really), how many snails, and tank cycling are important topics for this category.

LR amount:
From what I understand, you can never have too much LR! But, what's the point of having so much if your fish can't swim around. An equation I plan on sticking with is about two thirds of your tank's rated volume in pounds of rock. So, my tank is 29G, I have about 20 pounds of LR. I have a friend with a 29G and he has about 10-15 lbs. Essentially, you want to make sure you have enough live rock for the bacteria to grow on.

How Many :fish1:
From the research I've conducted, a good rule of thumb to follow in this category is to judge how many, or big, based off the size of your tank. Generally, your largest fish should drive the tank size: a 5 inch fish would work in a 50 gallon tank. This, of course, depends. Tangs and Wrasse like to swim a lot so they generally need much more than the 1 inch/10 gallon rule. Another general rule of thumb I've seen is your total inches of fish should be less than or equal to your tank size (I like to use water volume for conservation). So, a 100 gallon tank would have a total of 100 inches of fish (I use the mature length of the fish). I go off of water volume in the display tank (DT). So, I have approximately 17 gallons of water in the display, so I am going for a total inches of fish of 17 inches. Note: This can change depending on your filtration methods (which I will get to later). I recommend you start with a couple fish and gradually go up to see what your tank can handle.

How many snails or CUC:
I honestly have no idea if there is a rule for this. It just seems to be a bunch of guessing. I suppose one snail per gallon in the display would do, maybe a similar amount for crabs as well. Just... know that you may have to replace them. Also, a good CUC is a good way of helping keep your tank looking and being clean! They can eat algae and excess food before it dissolves into harmful compounds that your LR bacteria have to work at.

Tank Cycling & Tank Setup
Before I even get to tank cycling I need to talk about how to put things in your tank. First, put in the rock, then the sand, then the water. This will ensure your rock is resting on the tank bottom and it won't shift as your critters sift through your sand. Make sure your rock is supported well! It can be devastating to see tank collapses (thankfully mine only kind of has - easy fix).

Cycling
I couldn't find an actual cycling how-to on here so I'll do my best. Essentially, what you want to do is "grow" your bacteria so it can handle livestock. You put in food, test for ammonia, when it gets to a high level, take the food out... test for nitrite/nitrate... water change... put food in again, continue, continue, continue. Basically, you want your bacteria system to go through the nitrogen cycle well enough that your Ammonia and Nitrite reads zero and your Nitrate ideally stays as close to zero as possible (I aim to keep mine below 20 (I have a liberal view on tank parameters).

Disclaimer: I never actually cycled my tank... I didn't know that was a thing when I started. I just put my rock in the tank, let it sit for two weeks before I put my CUC in there. Then I fed them for two weeks before putting a couple fish/corals in there. That's probably why some of my snails died early on. Although, I still think it was more because I didn't have larger shells available for my hermit crabs. :mad2:

Stocking the Tank
Stocking the tank is pretty simple. As I said earlier, I don't recommend you put everything in there at once as that could overload your bacteria. First, you put your CUC in there, and let them do there thing for awhile. (I went for two weeks, I've seen people go for a week... or they just added everything all at once). Oh, by the way, I was running my lights during the day when I had just live rock. I wanted to get some algae growth and help induce the cycle a bit. ... It also gave my CUC something to munch on when they arrived.

After the CUC I recommend doing only fish. Fish are generally harder than corals so they can tolerate parameter swings much better. If you're the impatient type and insist on getting corals, I suggest adding only soft corals. In general soft corals are hardier than the other types. Some argue they actually absorb nitrates from the water.

After this, place your coral. You can either keep them on their plugs, or glue them onto your rock. Most people place them in one area to see how the coral looks and if it opens up well (we call this being happy). After that they glue it down. Be careful with putting plugs in substrate as some hermit crabs will actually flip them over in search of food. If you end up getting a pistol shrimp... it will do wonders to your sand bed so I don't recommend putting anything in it unless you have it anchored to a good-sized rock below the sand bed.

Parameters:
If you're lazy like I am parameters are going to be annoying for you the first month or so. However, they are rewarding. One can actually get away with not checking them for awhile if they get down a good water change and dosing regimen (I don't recommend that, check your parameters at a minimum once per week).

I recommend you read this article as well as the other related articles for water chemistry. I've learned a lot from this blog and you will too.

One thing you will want to make sure you do is test for calcium and magnesium. These are elements we want to add to our systems. Calcium is used to make Calcium Carbonate (snail shells, crab carapaces, coral skeletons). Magnesium helps prevent calcium carbonate bonding together and forming a precipitate. Both are important to check.

Activated carbon is something to use. I use chemipure for this purpose. From what I understand, activated carbon helps remove a lot of harmful elements from the water.

Filtration:
This is a highly contested topic among reefers. Some say go full out mechanical as much as possible. Some say go fully natural. I prefer a mostly natural method. People have gotten away with no filtration at all (I personally think they're insane... but if it works, it works). There are three different types of filtration: wet-dry sump, refugium/algae scrubber, and skimming.

Wet Dry
I used this one for about three months before I switched to a refugium. Wet-dry sumps are a type of filtration where you water trickles down over bioballs, live rock rubble, or clay. Here aerobic bacteria flourishes which helps with the early stages of the Nitrogen Cycle... but not the final stage of converting Nitrate to Nitrogen gas which then floats out of the system. Some people usually combine this with a lot of live rock in their DT, or they have some in their sump which promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

My biocube came with bioballs so I just decided to go with them. After awhile, I noticed my Nitrates started skyrocketing (up to 80!!!). I'm not sure if it is because of overfeeding or the bioballs, but, I wasn't satisfied. So, I switched to a refugium AND started feeding less.

Refugium
Disclaimer: the primary benefit aquarists get out of having refugiums is a place to grow creatures that would get eaten in the DT, primarily copepods and amphipods.

According to Mrsaltwatertank on youtube you would need a huge refugium and a lot of macroalgae to effectively combat nitrate. I pretty much agree with his philosophy. Unfortunately, the Biocube doesn't have much room, so I don't recommend a refugium unless you want to grow pods (which I do recommend as it increases food source and your biodiversity).

I have some chaetomorpha algae in my refugium and it does help with nitrates a bit... and it provides a nice nest for all the pods. Some people combine a refugium (for pods) with a skimming system.

Algae Scrubber:
The easiest way I can explain this is a net that water flows over and algae grows on. About once a week you scrape the algae off and start over. It is a great way to cheaply, and naturally, get rid of phosphates and nitrates from your water. I plan on adding one of these to my system eventually.

Skimming:
There are two types of skimming that I know of: surface skimming and using a protein skimmer. Surface skimming primarily helps keep a film from forming on the surface. It helps with getting rid of gunk, but not as well as a protein skimmer.

Protein skimmers use bubbles to bring proteins out of their water. Many people have reported not using one for quite some time, then they decide to add one. After seeing all the gunk it removes they decide to never remove it. I think the greatest benefit it has is removing the gunk before it decomposes more, and it helps reduce the need for water changes.

The cons of a protein skimmer is it is expensive and it another piece of equipment you have to maintain and stay on top of. This is primarily why I want to stay with the mostly natural route.

My system
To explain, my "mostly natural" system goes like this, in order by water flow: 1) filter pad 2) chemipure 3) chaeto refugium 4) live rock rubble. I use the filter pad to catch a lot of the floating food in the tank as well as all the random small food particle that are in the water column. I'm considering getting rid of this stage when I upgrade to a much larger system in many many years. I'll probably test it now on this smaller tank to see what the effect is.

Water Changes
This is the last thing I can think of. Water changes are a means to take bad things out of your system, and to replace good things (calcium, magnesium, various other elements). Many people use different techniques. I've seen anywhere from 10% every week to 10% once a couple months. What you can do depends primarily on your filtration system. If you don't have a skimmer or a massive refugium, and nice dosing capabilities you will need to do more water changes. If you have all of those things, you can get away with minimal water changes.

My technique is about 10% every two weeks. I always, always siphon my gravel. I also do it after a lights-off period. Light-off is a short-term solution to control algae growth and cyanobacteria growth in your aquarium. Once a month I turn the lights off in my DT for three days (I have the blue LEDs on at night). Also once a month (two weeks apart) I turn off my refugium light for two nights (I have it going at night to help keep the pH in balance).

Why do I siphon the gravel? Because a lot of detritus can build up there. It doesn't matter how many sand sifters you have, they only go so deep (about an inch, maybe a little more). Again, I have a DSB for more nitrate-reducing bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.

Top Off
By top off I mean replacing your evaporated water with RO/DI water. The philosophy here is when your water evaporates the salt doesn't go with it. This is true to a certain extent. I'm always wiping salt from my lid and the lip of my lid from the evaporated saltwater. However, if you don't replace your evaporated water with RO/DI water AT ALL your salinity will go up. It took me a few months to figure this out, thankfully I noticed before anything bad happened. The water I purchase is at about 1.024, I noticed it went up to 1.027 over the course of a few months. The only explanation was because I didn't top off. Now I do. Yet, because some salt does evaporate, it is important to keep checking your salinity when you do water changes.

RC Mods, again, I apologize if a similar post is elsewhere... I could not find one like this. :hammer: I also apologize for the length, I imagine this is a pretty large post.

To everyone who read the whole thing, I hope it helps! If you have any questions, just post below and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I joined the RC community because of how helpful everyone on here is. I'm glad to be a part of this group :bounce3:

Happy reefing!

-vl

*Edit*

I recommend you read some of the blogs on this forum. They can be extremely helpful and insightful.

Last edited:
...I just found the setting up sticky at the top of this sub-category.
So sorry! I'll leave it up to the mods if they want to delete this post or not. I understand if so.

You did searches but couldn't find the stickies on this???

I only read the beginning and am new to this, but i disagree on beginners starting so small, I don't think there is debate on substrate, rather different approaches based on your goals, and the fish size/qty per gallon is extremely dated and a bad idea.

I couldn't go any farther, but I assume the holes in your reasoning continue throughtout.

yep, the searches I did didn't contain any of the words contained in the "setting up" sticky. I looked primarily for "beginner" and "tips" didn't think to look for "newbie".

I've definitely read some interesting discussions on substrate, some people swear by having bare-bottom, others swear by having substrate. Like I said, I've seen successes in all types.

How is the fish size/qty gallon bad? Other than different species have different requirements.

The searches you did, didn't start with, "hey, what are these fancy posts at the top of the forum?"

I'll stay away from the substrate thing since I don't have the experience to get into it.

Size per gallon is always bad. This is well known in the reptile, amphibion, and (no shock to me) from everything I have read, the fish/coral/reef comunity.

A quick search will give you all sorts of info on all of this.

Or you could start with the stickies....

No, I used the search engine. I didn't recall seeing any stickies related to the topic, my fault there.

I think it may be possible you're mistaking the example I gave with the horrendous 1" per 1 gallon rule. I've seen countless examples of recommended tank sizes online and in TOTM that fit the 10 gallon per 1" example I gave. Same goes for the total inches = total gallons. I've calculated multiple medium tanks (75-90g range) and they seem to be pretty close to that formula. Is it wrong? Quite possibly. If that's the case a lot of people need to change their bioloads. Let's not forget I said certain species require more due to their activity; just as some species require less because of their lower inactivity/bioload.

As for the stickies, I just did a pretty thorough skim of the setting-up thread links and the only one I found on tank size was regarding to Tangs, which require more room because they are so active (I did acknowledge that in my original post). I did not find anything regarding general tank size in relation to general fish. If you know of something in the stickies that addresses this, by all means, please point it out as I am unable to find it.

Going with Mr. Saltwater Tank's 375 Gallon, here are his numbers.
-blonde naso tang (18”)
-purple tang (10”)
-3 yellow tangs (24”)
-yellow belly regal blue tang (12”)
-large spot-breast angel fish (9”)
-bellus angelfish (7”)
-leopard wrasse (6”)
-4 red velvet fairy wrasse (16”)
-cleaner common wrasse (5.5”)
-2 zebra barred dartfish (8”)
-2 purple firefish (6”)
-2 banggai cardinalfish (6”)
-spotted mandarin (4”)
-blue fin watchman goby (assuming 4”)
-pink spot goby (4”)
-blue line cleaner goby (2”)
-bicolor blenny (4”)
-midas blenny (6”)
-blue throat triggerfish (9”)
-2 green/blue chromis (6”)
-4 black ice clownfish (12”)
-3 resplendent anthia (9”)
-3 bartlett anthias (10.5”)

In total, that's about 200" of fish (I got the sizes from liveaquaria). After his bed and rock are factored, he might have, what, about 250 gallons of water in his DT? That's a pretty close estimation.

Again, this is a general rule of thumb. If anything else, it further emphasizes my very first point, the importance of research; then my other point, gradually add fish to the tank. A true beginner that did basic research would find that these equations don't work with tangs because most forums (and respectable online sellers) say tangs need more space (although, some of the tangs in the aforementioned post actually do work - kole tang grows to 7", suggested tank size is 75G).

One thing that is often believed is that you can have many, many fish in a tank that are all rated for X gallons. You also can't add up the minimum gallons for each fish to determine how many/which fish you can have or you'd have only 2-4 fish in a 55 gal tank. It's a science that can't be nailed down into hard numbers or formulas.

A lot of it is related to the amount of territory a fish will try to claim and the ecological niche each fish fills. Grazers and hunters will compete with their own kind more than each other. Fish that stake out large territories, well, self explanatory there. Some fish just seem to hate certain other fish and will try their best to kill them, regardless of what you want or do.

As far as posts containing all the information you'll ever need? Not gonna happen. No newbie would sit down and read a novel-sized post on a forum. Besides, what fun would that be? Not to mention, it wouldn't be much of a community without the conversation associated with a forum.

Tank size-

I would never suggest a newb start with a small tank. Problems happen fast in small tanks and are generally harder to spot unless you have the experience to "read your tank". I would suggest a newb go as big as they can afford. For a starter, I would never go smaller then a 40b

Substrate-
The larger the individual particle is, the more crap it's going to collect. Smaller is better (to an extent). I wouldn't go with anything less then .3mm as its just a dust storm.

LR amount
1-1.5 lbs per gallon is the guideline. No it won't pack your tank.

Cycling -
There are many "how to cycle" posts in this forum. I usually see 2 a day pop up in addition to what's already here.

Parameters-
Your missing alk. It's pretty important in there too. For a newb still learning to read a tank, PH and trates are good to stay on top of as well

Filtration-
Your missing a bit of info here.

I could add more but I just woke up, and have only slept 3 hours... You know how it is.

Another one... Turnover. 10-20x is best. I'd argue 5x is too little. This is, however, seriously subject to your tank layout and scape. More caves and nooks= more flow.

I run approx 18x and still have dead spots.

I'm a noob too, I've had my tank about a year. I'll just play devils's advocate so that anybody who happens across this thread will have another position to consider.
The first decisions I think are important are how big you want your tank, what kind (live rock vs. artificial), how much money you are willing to put into the tank, and what kind of bottom.
Oftentimes a beginner has a particular fish in mind, like a nemo or a tang or a jawfish they saw at the aquarium; or they really just want coral. I think it is better to build the tank around the pet, by researching their needs.
I highly suggest you start small.
If there's no "must have critter" a 40b is just about perfect for scaping, stocking, O2 exchange, pollution dilution / stability, and price. Plus, by customizing the tank and adding as needed based on the preferred stock, you can save a lot of money spent replacing the junk lights and unnecessary bells and whistles on a biocube; and spread out your budget.
I recommend you choose live rock.
I prefer dry mined rock. It's hitchhiker free, $2 per pound shipped, and a little live rubble can seed the whole tank. I was not interested in trying to trap a mantis before I could add anything to the tank.
Staying small is a simple way of doing this. (personally I'm a fan of Reefs2go's buy all coral half off sale).
I'm about to finally buy a skimmer, that'll put me at $876 for my 55g, but for perspective, that's over a year. $75 a month suited me much better than a big upfront spend on a hobby I didn't even know if I would like.

You couldn't pay me to put anything from reefs2go in my tank (or whatever they've changed their name to this week in an effort to dodge their terrible reputation)
*I wouldn't recommend crushed coral or an in-tank dsb, I double wouldn't recommend a deep layer of CC*
I've read a good changeover rate for your water would be five times per hour.
You have confused sump turnover with tank current. 5X through the sump is fine but you want way more from your powerheads in the tank. I'm at 40X my dt so 2,000 gph
From what I understand, you can never have too much LR!
anywhere from 2/3# per gallon to 2# seems to work. too much rock will crowd the fish and trap detritus.
a good rule of thumb
There is no rule of thumb when it comes to stocking saltwater fish. period.
They can eat algae and excess food before it dissolves into harmful compounds
I think of the CUC as fairly neutral on the bioload. They eat, and they poop. I'm not sure its a net gain. I like a critter for every 2-3 gallons.

*I'll leave cycling alone. I think it's harder to screw up than people think. I don't see any reason to keep adding food to the tank and spiking over and over but whatever.*

*same with the stocking order and parameters, not wrong but def not the only way*
here's another good parameters article http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Activated carbon is something to use.
many do, I don't because I haven't got any particularly allelopathic corals. Once in a while if the water looks yellow. Note that GAC is an HLLE risk factor for tangs
People have gotten away with no filtration at all (I personally think they're insane... but if it works, it works).
Call me crazy, but I use a filter sock and vacuum my sand bed weekly. It takes me ten minutes. My nitrates stay below 10 and my phos is low enough I guess. Gonna buy as skimmer next month anyway, just to be cool :dance:
Protein skimmers use bubbles to bring proteins out of their water.
Foam fractionators, commonly called protein skimmers, remove distinctly hydrophobic and distinctly hydrophilic organic compounds from the water.

I'm glad to be a part of this group :bounce3:

Welcome! I hope you don't take anything the wrong way. I just wanted to give a different point of view on a few things that aren't as solid rules as they sounded. So that another noob doesn't get mixed up. It looks now like I was picking it apart, but that quoting was just the easiest way to keep my place.
You seem really clever and I think with this level of dedication you will be a huge asset to the forum <3

Happy reefing!

Thanks for the reply CStrickland! I enjoy reading other people's opinions or better advice/experience.

I see what you mean by the sump turnover vs. DT turnover, I actually wasn't aware there was a difference, good to know.

Yah, I received a shipment from reefs2go after writing this, I was not very happy. I will say the corals came in great condition (well, one might not be). But, I got some nassarius snails and they all died in shipment. Many of the bags were leaking a little as well. I was definitely disappointed.

Not trying to beat up on you for searches but if you had searched Reefs2go you would have read they aren't the best to deal with. Many other much better places to buy from online. There was a thread on this fairly recently. This plus there is a forum towards the bottom of the main forum page with peoples experiences with different online sellers.

Good luck and I commend you for taking the time to write up what you did. I didn't read it all but my suggestion since you were off on so many instances would have been to read the sticky for setting up a new tank http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

Thank you for taking the time and concern to do this: a lot of work, some soul-searching, and an interesting discussion has followed.

Big or small is always an issue: the physical labor of water changes for a 100 gallon tank takes some real effort, though that's one of the most stable sizes for a someday-tank and lets you have a lot of species that a 30 won't support. Conversely a 30 can encourage good water change habits, among other useful things, plus fit an apartment...so we have many answers to the size question, but the right answer is 'what you can keep up with'...and be happy with.

Hey Viking,

Many others have already chimed in with other opinions/information that corrects and clarifies what you posted and have learned so far. I have to admit that I did not read your entire post, but I do want to take a moment to say thank you for taking the time to write it up!

I hope you will also take the time to continue your research, and participate as an active member. Reading posts from others, whether they be helpful tips for newbies (search for Sk8r's threads in this forum - you'll find some real gems), identification of unknown critters, suggestions on equipment or livestock, or cries for help, I have learned SO much just from this one forum (as in, the entirety of RC not just the NTTH section).

There are a plethora of other hobbyists with DECADES of experience with which to bounce ideas. I researched and planned for months, set up my tank and continue to read, read and read some more. Sometimes I even post. ;)

Thanks again, good luck and happy reefing!

Thanks everyone! I definitely try to find time every once in awhile to peruse around and try to learn a bit more.

Sk8r, I agree. 30 is a great size to establish water change habits. At first I naively didn't do any, I quickly learned 10% twice a month works well for my system.

I have to disagree with the Live rock advice. I think beginners should start with dry rock. Live rock comes with so much crap ready to invade your tank especially few months down the road when you are busy with life and your interest level has balanced out.

There's nothing on here on quarantine...

Cuc varies per tank (size, feeding, bio load, water movement)
Maximum fish per tank is also dependent on husbandry and overall experience

Just my two cents

And starting small means little room for error, I recommend starting as big as you can afford and have room for. A 30g biocube is way less forgiving than a standard 55g. One wrong dose or one little tweak can crash a 30 whereas a larger tank the danger can dissipate a little faster

seamonster, for those newbies concerned with what you said, how would you suggest introducing the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle, live sand, from coral frags purchased?

e048, thanks for the note. I didn't realize I forgot to mention quarantining.

Small does establish little room for error. Coming from no experience, I've had success with my 29G. I would say the Pros to starting small is it establishes a good water-change habit, and you learn to check your parameters.

Back