Trying to get Regal to eat

Try to leave the fish alone in the qt tank with no feeding (disturbing) for 1-2 days... After he/she feel secured in there then try to feed again. Patient is the key...

Regal is now attacking the red algea sheets 3 seconds after putting it in the tank. Now I just have to get him to eat other foods. I am going to try mysis tonight.

My Majestic Angel really likes the Julian Sprungs Purple Algae sheets. He tears them up twice as fast as the green ones!

He doesn't care for the Julian Sprungs Red Algae (whole leaf) type and usually just nips and swims away.

Good to hear that it's eating something. Try spectrum pellets. mine love them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12905013#post12905013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GTR
So other than letting a few days pass what did you do?

SteveU

I was going to wrap the tank to make the fish feel safe, but I realized that the fish didn't seem scared. I seems that to get him to eat just took time and the right food.
I did try a clam soaked in garlic on Sun and he wasn't interested.

last night I tried mysis and pellets soaked in zoe and he swam by both as if it were rocks.

I am now feeding him 2 sheets of red algea per day.

anyone know how long he can survive on red algea?

They could survive a while just on algea sheets. My 7" Chrysyrus Angel ate only flakes when I first got it. Also the flakes must be floating or else he won't eat it. Took almost 3 months before he finally ate pellets. Now he's fat and healthy.

I am glad that the fish is eating. I purchased a "baby" Blue a few months back. I put it in a qt and it died. Read more info and this is what Bob Fenner had to say.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

To summarize: This is one of those species that are better off not being purposely quarantined; put another way, IMO (in my opinion), the stress induced via isolation and re-moving Paracanthurus is generally more harmful than the risk of introduction of some contagion. I would run newcomers through a preventative bath/dip of pH adjusted freshwater and promptly place them in the main/display unit.

I bought two more "Babies", after a quick bath then into the display. They are still swimming.

Back