Tunze 6025 Anemone Guard - Take I

Scooter12ga

So, like many others I thought the 6025 was relatively 'nem resistant as-is because of its indirect flow paths, and low pressure/high surface area intake...

Well I was wrong and one of my beautiful RBTAs decided to go bowling and was shredded to many tiny pieces last night :(
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1112136

As seen here it appears the most at-risk area of the pump is the lower rear area. It has the most linear flow and the easiest access to the prop. Conveniently (or not so much) this is the first area your 'nem will approach if it ever decides to go walking up the glass.
6025AnemoneGuard_BeforeRear.jpg

Necessity being the mother of invention and all...

Materials:
1 sheet of needle-point canvas, black (or desired color)
Scissors
Cutting pattern (below)
Brains

Use the following life size (@ 100px / inch) pattern to cut one of each piece from the plastic canvas (right-click, save-as, print):
0502007_Tunze6025AnemoneGuard.jpg

Disassemble the Tunze cover and lightly press the REAR piece of canvas into the motor side of the housing until it just barely clears the area where the shells overlap:
6025AnemoneGuard_InstalledRear.jpg

Lightly press the FRONT piece of canvas into the front shell being sure to keep the electrical wire gap aligned. It's ok if it goes a little bit too deep because you can back it out after the shells are assembled:
6025AnemoneGuard_InstalledFront.jpg

Re-assemble the shells and use a toothpick or some other small item to re-align the canvas if necessary:
6025AnemoneGuard_AssembledFront.jpg

6025AnemoneGuard_AssembledRear.jpg

As you can see the guard effectively blocks the linear path at the lower rear of the Tunze. No guarantees, but it's worth a shot after my loss this morning. Maybe others will get some ideas from this thread and come up with something a bit better. BTW, I did not notice a loss of flow...I'm sure there was some, but it isn't noticable.
6025AnemoneGuard_FinishedRear.jpg

Last edited:
It may not stop them from getting sucked in, but it provides an extra barrier between them and the prop. It's not a fix-all, but I might be able to save one rather than having a 'confetti' total loss IF it happens again.

you need to make the canvas larger than the tunze. the problem you are trying to solve is that there is enough suction to pull the anemone through the pump. If you increase the surface area there is not enough suction at any one place to pull the anemone through.

Dantodd,

I agree, I tried to explain that in his other thread, but you explained it best.

I've seen so many powerheads where the canvas has been put directly on the opening. It just makes the holes smaller and as long as there is suction an anemone will find its way in.

Back