Washing filter socks

ScienceRulez

I change the filter socks every day for my tank (two socks every day). As those of you with filter socks know, they get very, very dirty. Currently I take them outside put them on a custom stand and spray them with a hose to get the gunk off, then soak for 24 hours in bleach, rinse, then let them sit in the facilities shop for another 24 hours to dry. The only problem is that this time of year, it's a bit cold in the morning to be spraying cold water. So I have been looking for a possible solution, I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panda-Porta...achine-Washer-5-5lbs-XPB25-28A-/301343750653?

What do you guys think? Might it do the job?

Huh, I've never seen one of these before. It looks like it would do the job and fit nicely under the stand or in a small fish room. Might need to pick one of these up myself.

Why the effort of spraying?? I swish my sock (inverted inside-out) in a sink to get most of the crud off. Whatever remains, the bleach will take care of it. I imagine that the bleach would take care of ALL the dirt even without the initial rinse. . . . .Just rinse off the bleach really well
---KISS---

I clean mine every 2 weeks with bleach in the washer...don't dry, put back in .....have 3 Socks....been fine for me...

Why the effort of spraying?? I swish my sock (inverted inside-out) in a sink to get most of the crud off. Whatever remains, the bleach will take care of it. I imagine that the bleach would take care of ALL the dirt even without the initial rinse. . . . .Just rinse off the bleach really well
---KISS---

make sure tou let the sock sit for at least 24 hours after using bleach, so the bleach can evaporate off

You could always choose to rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide instead of bleach it sanitizes and kills all algae spores the same way bleach does its just more friendlier on the tank, a little bleach in the system can cause havoc versus some H2O2, which some people dose now to remove algae and pests from frags. it also rinses a lot more efficient i dust off my socks outside then i soak my socks in the H2O2 overnight, then soak in a container with RO water before i go to work when I come back move them around a bit and your set I also let them dry but would not be afraid to add them immediately to the tank if need be. However H2O2 does not always make them as pearly white as bleach does as it does not bleach out any of the stains gained but it does leave mine an off white, light brown

I always soak mine in a bucket of rodi water dosed heavily with prime/dechlor overnight then give a final rinse in RO/DI after I wash them in the washing machine with bleach, just to be safe.

The final rinse of RO/DI is so the skimmer doesn't go crazy from the dechlor/ prime.

Washing machine is my best friend when it comes to cleaning filter socks. I go through around 8-9, then dump them all in the washer with a little bleach, then let them dry for at least 24 hrs.

I also wash mine in the washer. 2x inside out and 2x right side in.. And I let them sit for a few days.. I have 7 of them, so i simply use 4 and then wash them..

I resisted using bleach and the washer for years. But after trying it and spending extra on low micron socks, the washer does a great job..

Sometimes I will run the last cycle with peroxide, but not all the time..

But the washer works great!

Never thought of H2O2, we have a cleaner thats peroxide based, but I can't use that obviously.

where can I get H2O2 in large quantities?

I just buy them at Walmart they sell the big bottles 16OZ for $0.88 a piece and i buy 4 i stuff all my socks in a kool aid container then fill that with H2O2 put like a heavy pump or something on top to weigh them down and then let them sit, I know once you add any water to hydrogen peroxide it starts to break it down into water (H2O) and air (O2) so i try to have the socks completely dry before i soak them

I use this thing---it's largely voodoo for regular clothes cleaning: it agitates the water extremely, and the frothing is most of the action for regular laundry, but I toss the thing in with a couple of filter socks and let 'er rip. Does a pretty good job. We don't, otherwise, use exotic laundry additives---just perfume-free laundry detergent for an HO machine.
The product is http://www.amazon.com/Original-Wellos-Magnetic-Antibiotic-Exclusion/dp/B00NH6HVJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449850399&sr=8-1&keywords=wellos+laundry+ball

I found it best to let my socks sit outside and dry, that gunk dries up and seems easier to wash out when it's not so slimy.
I just wash mine twice, no soap or bleach

I don't use filter socks on a regular basis, but when I do I just throw them in the wash with the rest of my whites. A quick rinse under the faucet prior to the DT & it's on... Don't OVERthink it... It's just a sock.. ;)

I Never trust throwing them in the regular washing machine, there have been to many different detergents and deodorizers or perfumes used in detergents which cannot be good for a reef aquarium.

I always wash them by hand with bleach and water then let soak for a day or 2 and then a heavy rinse and let dry 100 percent.. That little wash machine looks cool though because I could dedicate it to bleach only.

I Never trust throwing them in the regular washing machine, there have been to many different detergents and deodorizers or perfumes used in detergents which cannot be good for a reef aquarium.

What do you think a washing machine does? Have you ever played with your kids in the front yard and fell in some dog poop? Where do you put that soiled shirt at? A quick cycle and it's brand new again. ;)

Washing machine is the way to go. Wash them twice inside out and twice normal way. Use a little bleach in first wash and by the 4th it's all gone. Then let dry. I have multiple sets so they dry for at least a week. Easy to do and never had an issue.

I don't use filter socks on a regular basis, but when I do I just throw them in the wash with the rest of my whites. A quick rinse under the faucet prior to the DT & it's on... Don't OVERthink it... It's just a sock.. ;)

Oh, yuck! I could not bring myself to do it! LOL! No offense meant!

Back