Weekend sump project

David MC Lee

Hope to get started on my new sump this weekend. I've been researching how to cut acrylic for the last few weeks and I'm ready to give it a try.

sump_zpsh9aqs4hm.jpg

Looks good. What are the sizes going to be. Thinking of doing something similar myself, changing my 75g fresh into salt

White was so I can see dirt on the bottom, red to cut down on algae growth, clear so I can see inside and blue to make it MADE IN THE USA. It holds water. Had one leak between sock area and where water comes in. Not a big deal but I will fix it.

very nice... Would you be interested in building another at the same dimensions

Well I now have the saw blade and router bits along with templates for the large holes and curved corners plus the glue. Some of the parts I cut on my mill but it was hard because my mill is small and I have to cut a little then unclamp and move the part and reclamp. All of the curved corners were done one by one with an L shaped template. I spend almost 3 solid days making it and half of that was making templates and learning how to glue. Because it is mostly hand made it's not to hard to change the size tis just a lot of labor and you can't expect perfect results. I really took my time but here and their the templates move or router slips etc.
I went with the 7" filter socks so I don't have to change them as often. Its wide enough to fit my two skimmers plus large area for cheto.

Do you feel like a trip to Springfield IL area?

What all probes do you have? I ask because i have heard some are sensitive to bubbles. Do you think you'll get many in there? Do you run 2 return pumps?

Ph & orp. Yes two return pumps. I was not sure of the best place for it. I was trying to find a place where algae won't grow on them. I can make another one if it does not work. Right now I have mine buy my skimmer.

Back