What build should i go with? help 75 vs 120

Vadafallon

I recently broke down my 75 gallon tank because i was moving. I won't be able to setup up a new one for at least a few months, maybe 6 or more. So in the mean time i started thinking of going a different direction than my last tank. First let me list what i currently own.

75 gallon reef ready Marine Land
Simplicity 150SS Deluxe Reef Sump
2x Radion x30 pros
2x MP40wqd
reeflink
Don't remember exactly what return pump i have, but its probably an Eheim
Chemipure Elite and Purigen i think
Skimz skimmer (not sure what size, i got it from my neighbor off a larger tank and i really have never been super impressed with it. I am sure its me lol)
That is the basic of my tank. Toward the end i lost a few fish and started down a path or high nitrates and lots of algae. The break down was just another way for a clean start, so here i am.

I want to run a Triton Method tank, this speaks to me and i miss having a refugium on my tank. With that being said i already have a 20 gallon long sump built but i am not sure the refug would be big enough. Its currently in storage.
I want to do 1 of 2 things, keep the 75, get a different sump and go full Triton Method. Maybe a different skimmer like one of the Reef Octopus ESSENCE S-130 INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER .or the CLASSIC 152-S 6" INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER. OR go bigger and get a 120, build or buy and new sump for Triton method.

I know if i go 120 i will be open to some other fish i cannot keep in the 75, plus my water parameters as a whole will be much more stable and let likely for big swings. Anyway i just wanted some thoughts, suggestions, opinions from you guys. Thanks!

My $0.02... In the effort to save energy I would ignore the Triton requirement of a 10x sump flowrate and just stick with the more traditional 3-5x.. At least until someone can show actual proof that it matters.. (and I doubt you will ever see that proof.. its a pull it out your arse number and likely done just to make the math easier)..

And I wouldn't go smaller than a 40G sump.. Anything less IMO is just a waste of time/energy and just really too small to be useful.. A 20G on a 75G tank is just goofy IMO and a waste of time..

Besides that tank size is really all about how much work/effort/money YOU want to put into it.. For the most part at the sizes you are talking about I don't think the extra water volume is really that much of a difference as far as "swings" are concerned... Yes its math and yes it can matter but its not hard to keep a 75G tank from swinging...
That stuff matters when you are in the 10/20/nano tank sizes much more than when you start nearing the levels you are talking about..

awesome

awesome

My $0.02... In the effort to save energy I would ignore the Triton requirement of a 10x sump flowrate and just stick with the more traditional 3-5x.. At least until someone can show actual proof that it matters.. (and I doubt you will ever see that proof.. its a pull it out your arse number and likely done just to make the math easier)..

And I wouldn't go smaller than a 40G sump.. Anything less IMO is just a waste of time/energy and just really too small to be useful.. A 20G on a 75G tank is just goofy IMO and a waste of time..

Besides that tank size is really all about how much work/effort/money YOU want to put into it.. For the most part at the sizes you are talking about I don't think the extra water volume is really that much of a difference as far as "swings" are concerned... Yes its math and yes it can matter but its not hard to keep a 75G tank from swinging...
That stuff matters when you are in the 10/20/nano tank sizes much more than when you start nearing the levels you are talking about..

Ok, good info. I think going bigger with the sump would be a better idea.. well must less expensive for sure lol. Thanks for your input, it gives me more to think about. The sump i have is nice but there is no room at all for a refug, so that part of my system will have to be tweaked. Maybe just buying a 40g breeder and making a sump is the best option.

And yes per Triton your fuge needs to be 10-20% of your tank volume.. and you are unlikely to meet that with a 20G sump..
That Triton number I think is valid.. The 10x flow isn't something I buy into..

Of course if your intention of wanting the Triton method is just to avoid water changes then I don't think you are going in the right direction either... Unless you only intend to not perform water changes and won't fall into their testing/dosing program.. In that case you aren't doing Triton anyways..

I think that with proper planning the amount of water changes can be greatly reduced but doing them every once in a while is likely far cheaper than attempting to follow Triton to the "T"

And yes per Triton your fuge needs to be 10-20% of your tank volume.. and you are unlikely to meet that with a 20G sump..
That Triton number I think is valid.. The 10x flow isn't something I buy into..

Of course if your intention of wanting the Triton method is just to avoid water changes then I don't think you are going in the right direction either... Unless you only intend to not perform water changes and won't fall into their testing/dosing program.. In that case you aren't doing Triton anyways..

I think that with proper planning the amount of water changes can be greatly reduced but doing them every once in a while is likely far cheaper than attempting to follow Triton to the "T"

Not so much the water changes is what i am avoiding. I like the idea of testing and dosing and i always enjoy having a refugium and have had much better success in the past on my 60 cube build.

On a side note i found a great deal on the Red Sea 650 and i might just jump on it. Anyone have experience with that tank?

Back